Diesel Prices

Marco_mark

Featured Posts

Same at my local Asda, no mistake. A good marketing ploy I reckon.

Its only the tax that makes it more expensive, diesel is cheaper than petrol and the prices are not tied together so there is no reason why one should not go down and one up.

two weeks ago the cheepest was 68p on the Oxford (a coal) merchants.

The most I saw was 121 on the thames. Saying that there was a sign at one place saying they enforce a 60/40 split and the cost per ltd was 130 with the split.

Bob

what was more interesting

it was 113.7 for Petrol and 114.7 for diesel. They got upset when I pulled out 3x 20 ltd jerry cans though. Only 5 ltd plastic or 10 ltd metal now!

Bob

The coal merchants are still working to the old regulatuions, and are clearly not aware of the current Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 (PCR), which came into force on 1 October 2014, which permit diesel to be carried in a metal container no larger than 20 litres (or 10 litres in plastic containers).

I did - I even used the correct boat index number and a 60/40 split

The 'man' said that he regularly gets 100% domestic declarations and that 'some people (sometimes) even use their proper name and address'.

The declaration is the responsibility of the purchaser of the fuel, not the seller. If the purchaser commits fraud by making a false declaration then it is of no matter to the seller - he has done 'his bit' and got a signed declaration.

Not quite 100%. A registered dealer wilfully turning a blind eye to a declaration he KNOWS to be false can still be liable.

George ex nb Alton retired

Edited by furnessvale

over 90p at marinas on the L&L summits. Anyone know what fuel boat Ambush charges.

Diesel is now a lot cheaper wholesale than petrol but fuel sellers are reaping in the profits.

Sheer volume, We filled up there a couple of weeks ago 58.5p per litre, we had to wait for a berth to fill up and another boat was waiting when we left. They also have a pump on the roadside, and there was a constant stream of customers with cans for that one as well.

Then how do you explain how Hawne Basin is consistently cheaper than Wheaton Aston? Hawne must sell a tiny fraction of the amount of fuel compared to Wheaton Aston.

The simple truth is that most boatyards make a far bigger margin on diesel than they'd have you believe.

Then how do you explain how Hawne Basin is consistently cheaper than Wheaton Aston? Hawne must sell a tiny fraction of the amount of fuel compared to Wheaton Aston.

The simple truth is that most boatyards make a far bigger margin on diesel than they'd have you believe.

Hawne basin is a charity, isn't it? (Coombeswood Canal Trust). Perhaps they're being charitable.

Its only the tax that makes it more expensive, diesel is cheaper than petrol and the prices are not tied together so there is no reason why one should not go down and one up.

Not correct, I think.

The fuel duty on road diesel (DERV) is identical to that on Petrol.

When you pay more for DERV it must be because the base price before any fuel duty or VAT has been set higher than for petrol.

Not quite 100%. A registered dealer wilfully turning a blind eye to a declaration he KNOWS to be false can still be liable.

Unlikely he would admit his knowing so prosecution would probably not be followed up. But you are of course correct on the law.

Unlikely he would admit his knowing so prosecution would probably not be followed up. But you are of course correct on the law.

I agree prosecution would be unlikely, but his "knowing" is based on what a jury can infer looking at all the available evidence. It does not necessarily require an actual admission of knowledge. If it did, many offences, of many types, would never see a courtroom.

Not correct, I think.

The fuel duty on road diesel (DERV) is identical to that on Petrol.

When you pay more for DERV it must be because the base price before any fuel duty or VAT has been set higher than for petrol.

That's right. Petrol is generally a little cheaper than diesel, in base price terms, before any tax. This is reflected in forecourt prices,after tax has been applied.

Go back two or three decades, diesel was a fair bit cheaper than petrol. This was nothing to do with tax. Diesel cars were relatively rare in those days, the vast majority of cars ran on petrol. So naturally there was a higher demand for petrol than diesel. With diesel cars being more common these days the demand for diesel has increased as the demand for petrol has fallen, relatively. When oil is refined fixed amounts of each grade are produced, these amounts never change. When prices are set by supply and demand, as they mostly are, this explains why diesel has become more expensive, compared to petrol.

Cross elasticity of demand is the economic rule/ theory that applies to this.

That's right. Petrol is generally a little cheaper than diesel, in base price terms, before any tax. This is reflected in forecourt prices,after tax has been applied.

Go back two or three decades, diesel was a fair bit cheaper than petrol. This was nothing to do with tax. Diesel cars were relatively rare in those days, the vast majority of cars ran on petrol. So naturally there was a higher demand for petrol than diesel. With diesel cars being more common these days the demand for diesel has increased as the demand for petrol has fallen, relatively. When oil is refined fixed amounts of each grade are produced, these amounts never change. When prices are set by supply and demand, as they mostly are, this explains why diesel has become more expensive, compared to petrol.

There was me thinking diesel was cheaper than petrol now

There was me thinking diesel was cheaper than petrol now

Actually I did notice yesterday that Tesco was offering both for the same price. Diesel has been more expensive for at least 2 decades though. I know there are other factors of demand other than motoring, but diesel cars appear to less popular of late, part of the reason for this recent change maybe.

On the radio last night, it said that Saudi Arabia was now producing diesel to export, rather than exporting crude oil

for processing before selling as diesel /petrol. Apparently this is now starting to make the price of diesel come down.

Edited by Bazza954

I see Rugby boats at Weedon is 63.9p at the moment. I wonder if the price up the road at Braunston Marina has come down like everywhere else. Last time i was there they were about £1.20 per litre. If they haven't dropped their price that would make them almost double what it is at RB.

How much is yours Junior

Diesel used to be cheaper than petrol, but since diesel cars have become more practical and therefore more common over the last 20-25 years the price has crept up, you'd think that a larger customer base would bring prices down but not with fuel, the oil companies close ranks so they have the monopoly. A larger captive demand equals an opportunity for more profit and tax revenue. Let's hope SA oil producers kick some arse.