Diesel Prices

Marco_mark

Featured Posts

They were ordering a delivery for Friday at the pre increase price, deliveries after that will be at the new price.

Selling 7000 to 8000 litres a week in the winter I don't think they worry too much about having the price their stock drop.

I have no connection with them other than as a customer, just what they told me.

I meant that chap selling it to Wheaton Aston

Honestly, how petty can you be? Diesel costs 'more or less' the same everywhere. Is there really any point in driving your boat 100 miles 'cos it's 1p cheaper there? How much do you spend on diesel anyway? We have found it's our LEAST cost narrowboating! Mechanics charge, what, 35 Pounds/hour?

I was always amazed at the waste of time my Dad spent talking about so-and-so petrol station being a bit cheaper than the other - what of the greater risk of road accident getting to that cheaper petrol? Oh... we saved 15p when filling up!

Saving pennies and wasting Pounds astounds me.

Honestly, how petty can you be? Diesel costs 'more or less' the same everywhere. Is there really any point in driving your boat 100 miles 'cos it's 1p cheaper there? How much do you spend on diesel anyway? We have found it's our LEAST cost narrowboating! Mechanics charge, what, 35 Pounds/hour?

I was always amazed at the waste of time my Dad spent talking about so-and-so petrol station being a bit cheaper than the other - what of the greater risk of road accident getting to that cheaper petrol? Oh... we saved 15p when filling up!

I don't think anyone is going to cruise 100 miles to save 1p a litre. But some might pass several different places where fuel is supplied on their cruise so it doesn't make any difference at which one they stop at. So stopping at the cheapest one makes sense. Or it does to me, at least.

Has anybody actually suggested doing that?

It is good for anyone CC'ing for example to know where the sources of cheapest fuel are.

If posts don't interest me, I tend not to read or comment on them.

unlike a lot of suppliers the price at Wheaton Aston goes up and down with every delivery they get. just got 190ltrs there yesterday at 63.9p per ltr so for me it was worth travelling to . works out i saved myself about £25,

unlike a lot of suppliers the price at Wheaton Aston goes up and down with every delivery they get. just got 190ltrs there yesterday at 63.9p per ltr so for me it was worth travelling to . works out i saved myself about £25,

Likewise we can pay 10 to 15 p a lt difference and that saves between £15 and £20 on a fill up.

We found this very useful when out cruising for fuel prices

http://diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk

However it's only as good as people sending in up to date information....we did as we used places or saw prices and emailed in...and got a reply thanking us for doing so!

As usual...no connection but a satisfied user!

Cheers

Gareth

Dont pass bridge 19 (Turners Garage) on the Shropshire Union if you need fuel. I found it to be cheaper by far. On the link above its showing as 65.4p. When I filled up in October it was only 70.9p then when others were more than 90p. They are a garage and so I believe they have a large turnover of fuel so reflect the current price better than a boat yard

No connection just a satisfied customer

We found this very useful when out cruising for fuel prices

http://diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk

However it's only as good as people sending in up to date information....we did as we used places or saw prices and emailed in...and got a reply thanking us for doing so!

As usual...no connection but a satisfied user!

Cheers

Gareth

I've had that site bookmarked for a while Gareth, but it seemed so out of date I thought it was a relic. Good to see it is alive and well (at least for some areas) and that its being updated by such as yourself. As you say it's only as good as the info boaters send in. Thanks for flagging it up.

Honestly, how petty can you be? Diesel costs 'more or less' the same everywhere.

But this is just blatantly untrue, isn't it?

Some canal-side sources can manage "non propulsion" prices around the "mid sixties" pence mark, others are still well into the eighties or even nineties.

It is not about saving a pence or two on every, it is about saving maybe 25p on every litre. If you are buying 200 litres that is a difference of £50.

But this is just blatantly untrue, isn't it?

Some canal-side sources can manage "non propulsion" prices around the "mid sixties" pence mark, others are still well into the eighties or even nineties.

It is not about saving a pence or two on every, it is about saving maybe 25p on every litre. If you are buying 200 litres that is a difference of £50.

Same on the road. I can save a considerable amount of money by driving just a few miles, rather than pay our village price. I feel sorry for the guy in the village, as he simply can't compete, but I can't afford to give money away either.

Same on the road. I can save a considerable amount of money by driving just a few miles, rather than pay our village price. I feel sorry for the guy in the village, as he simply can't compete, but I can't afford to give money away either.

We have a similar situation - the local 'village' petrol station is 5p+ per litre more than the 'Town' & Supermarket prices.

However - I need to do a round trip of 25 miles to get to the supermarket and at 25mpg (Landrover) the round journey costs about £5.50.

I'd normally put in 40 litres so by using the local guy I'm paying £2.00 extra but actually saving £3.50.

If I'm going into town then I'll use the supermarkets, if I'm only going into the village for bread and milk, or Doctors etc. then the local guy gets the business.

We have a similar situation - the local 'village' petrol station is 5p+ per litre more than the 'Town' & Supermarket prices.

However - I need to do a round trip of 25 miles to get to the supermarket and at 25mpg (Landrover) the round journey costs about £5.50.

I'd normally put in 40 litres so by using the local guy I'm paying £2.00 extra but actually saving £3.50.

If I'm going into town then I'll use the supermarkets, if I'm only going into the village for bread and milk, or Doctors etc. then the local guy gets the business.

Why don't you put 80lts in at the supermarket and the milk would be cheaper as well

Edited by ditchcrawler

When I lived in the real world I supported the local garage with about 50% of my business purely because he was local and deserved support. I was ever so grateful I did because during the fuel crisis he let me have all the fuel I needed. I also support fuel boats as they need support. I have been passed Turners in Wheaton Aston many many times but have never bought fuel from there as he does nothing for the canals rather buy at Norbury even if a few pence more.

I see Rugby boats at Weedon is 63.9p at the moment. I wonder if the price up the road at Braunston Marina has come down like everywhere else. Last time i was there they were about £1.20 per litre. If they haven't dropped their price that would make them almost double what it is at RB.

When I lived in the real world I supported the local garage with about 50% of my business purely because he was local and deserved support. I was ever so grateful I did because during the fuel crisis he let me have all the fuel I needed. I also support fuel boats as they need support. I have been passed Turners in Wheaton Aston many many times but have never bought fuel from there as he does nothing for the canals rather buy at Norbury even if a few pence more.

Whilst I agree with your principle of supporting the fuel boats (I do myself if I find one!) I'm not quite sure that I follow your 'criticism' of Turners in Wheaton Aston. As I travel around I tend to use a variety of supermarkets for my provisions, none of whom really do anything for the canals, should I be avoiding them? On the other hand one could argue that Turners is doing something for the canals, he is supplying cheap fuel for the boaters. To do so he has also invested in a pontoon to moor on and a long hose to reach the canal (unless some generous passing boater supplied him with these), is he supposed to work as a volunteer lockie as well?

You are obviously quite entitled to spend your money where you wish but my take on it is that if someone is supplying cheap fuel they are probably doing so on the principle of high turnover of fuel. I'm willing to support them in that business model rather than let them go to the wall because I'll only buy more expensive fuel from elsewhere. Diesel is diesel everywhere (well, except the expensive stuff I bought on the Llangollen which was just a smoke generatorunsure.png ) so I'm willing to support those who charge least for it. The only reason that I didn't fill up at Turners was because I didn't know about it and had just filled up at Wheaton Aston! I will support the diesel and coal boats though.

• Greenie 2

Whilst I agree with your principle of supporting the fuel boats (I do myself if I find one!) I'm not quite sure that I follow your 'criticism' of Turners in Wheaton Aston. As I travel around I tend to use a variety of supermarkets for my provisions, none of whom really do anything for the canals, should I be avoiding them? On the other hand one could argue that Turners is doing something for the canals, he is supplying cheap fuel for the boaters. To do so he has also invested in a pontoon to moor on and a long hose to reach the canal (unless some generous passing boater supplied him with these), is he supposed to work as a volunteer lockie as well?

You are obviously quite entitled to spend your money where you wish but my take on it is that if someone is supplying cheap fuel they are probably doing so on the principle of high turnover of fuel. I'm willing to support them in that business model rather than let them go to the wall because I'll only buy more expensive fuel from elsewhere. Diesel is diesel everywhere (well, except the expensive stuff I bought on the Llangollen which was just a smoke generatorunsure.png ) so I'm willing to support those who charge least for it. The only reason that I didn't fill up at Turners was because I didn't know about it and had just filled up at Wheaton Aston! I will support the diesel and coal boats though.

That's fine you do as you wish/want and I will do the same.

• Greenie 1

Sawley is 75p on an automated 24 hour self serve pump

Rick

Not any more it aint. I filled up elsewhere last week at 75 a funny foreign measurement thing only to find the next day that Sawley is now 65p

Tim