Basingstoke Canal Authority

Tony Brooks

Featured Posts

We have been thinking about doing the Basingstoke in the summer so called into the Mytchett Canal Centre to find out about it. I was very impressed with the "can & will do" attitude displayed by the staff and unlike certain CaRT booking systems they seem happy to take bookings and payment over the phone. However they do demand site of your insurance & BSS certificate. They even say that if you book over the phone you can show and pay the Ranger when you enter the canal.

£40 for a week which is similar to the Avon when we last did it so not to excessive although a River Wey transit license is also required.

Well done BCA.

Tony.....

I spent two weeks on basingstoke last summer,absolutely loved it,only saw a couple of other boats and people were pleased to see you there. I booked over the phone and showed documents on arrival at entrance where you meet the warden,who sees you through two days of locks.Not as a guard as some might mistakenly think but to seal up the lock gates once you are through to preserve water.They do a grand job and i beleive it has remained open for the last two summers,which never use to be the case due to lack of water.

Suggest you enter canal full of diesel,then the Mytchett centre has everything else you need and as you have found,they are very friendly and helpful.Important bit of advice....Know your air draft A couple of bridges are very low!!!!!

Dont know how long you plan to stay but two days in and two days out knocks a hole in a week.

If you have not done the wey navigation before I strongly recomend it whilst your in the area,so to speak.The moorings in the meadow just after Guilford,non towpath side and 15mins walk to town are particularly good.

ENJOY

Be careful about the summer Tony - there may be water supply issues. Best time is between October and May but there have been some years recently when it has been possible to navigate all year so do keep in touch with the BCA.

I quizzed them about that and they assured me that they do not expect there to be a problem that maroons me there. However I appreciate that this does not mean things will not change. I intend to be there in late May to mid June.

• 9 months later...

Depending on whether or not you like boat rallies, you may want to take part or avoid
"Magna Carta Boat Rally" at Colt Hill, Odiham from May 22nd to 24th
Details at www.basingstoke-canal.org.uk

And the HNBC 50th Anniversary& Campaigning gathering 06/08/2016 to 07/08/2016

Tim​

We did the Basingstoke in early September and it is lovely and well worth a visit. Be prepared for lots of visits down the weed hatch to remove rubbish and logs etc and for lots of shallow places. The ranger had great trouble getting us into a couple of locks because of silt behind the gates and lack of water over the cill. Once above the locks it is fairly easy going.

I'm thinking about doing this trip this April/May.

Having done the trip I can say that the BCA are very helpful and seem to be intent on revising the "reputation" they had some years ago. April/May should be fine but, dependant upon weather July might be pushing it a bit. One has to recognise they have very few water sources and in the summer expect to have the lock flights closed. This is not poor management or such like, its the geology of the canal. This will remain the case until, if ever, they get all the lock flights back pumped. My view is the BCA should give a certain other navigation authority training in how to use volunteers to keep they structures in very good condition and provide more.