Lower and Upper Avon

Featured Posts

Hello everyone, I'm living aboard now for 2 months on my first narrowboat, a Les Wilson trad 57ft, a lovely boat and my home and I'm enjoying it very much even though it is winter, I've just got a Gold license, does any know if it covers me for the Avon and Severn rivers, because I want to go up or down the Avon end of February into March !? I admit I don't have any experience of navigating rivers yet, but I'm sure taking it slowly and talking and learning from other boaters, reading these useful comments here,I should be alright, I'm singlehanded on my boat aswell,

No the Gold licence doesn't cover the Avon, for which you need a licence from the Avon Navigation Trust. It does however cover the Severn.

Hello everyone, I'm living aboard now for 2 months on my first narrowboat, a Les Wilson trad 57ft, a lovely boat and my home and I'm enjoying it very much even though it is winter, I've just got a Gold license, does any know if it covers me for the Avon and Severn rivers, because I want to go up or down the Avon end of February into March !? I admit I don't have any experience of navigating rivers yet, but I'm sure taking it slowly and talking and learning from other boaters, reading these useful comments here,I should be alright, I'm singlehanded on my boat aswell,

We too live on our les Wilson boat, our 9th winter on board. We love our boat and life style.

You will need to check the ANT website to make sure that the river is open.

There were works scheduled for Nafford lock, but these have now been cancelled due to urgent work that is required at Pershore Lock.

(CRT-bashers please note that we get infrastructure problems on private navigations as well!)

Pershore Lock is closed until 27.2.2015.

You can possibly book a passage, but you need to contact ANT at least a week in advance.

http://www.avonnavigationtrust.org/Restriction%20Notice%20Pershore%20Lock%20009%20014.pdf

• 4 years later...
On 10/01/2015 at 02:21, blackrose said:

Yes, it caught me out too the first time.

There's not enough signage there, but you're actually supposed to moor up against the landing next to the weir to open the lock (obviously not when the river's running fast, but then you shouldn't be on the river in those conditions anyway). In almost every other situation you stay away from weirs, but coming downstream towards Evesham lock you moor against the weir.

We had an unpleasant experience at this lock last week, although I believe that at no point were we in any danger.

The river was fresh but we'll into green. Getting pulled both ways.

The navigation notes in the ANT guide to the river advise staying to the  right away from the wier as does the illustration in the book. It does warn of high flow towards the hydro power side as well.

In reality,  the way I see it,  they want you to cut left and moor against the Weir barrier at the lock end. Is this correct?

The signage needs a bit of punctuation and a double ended arrow below. Maybe another sign and CHANGE the navigation notes please!

4 minutes ago, Plonk said:

We had an unpleasant experience at this lock last week, although I believe that at no point were we in any danger.

The river was fresh but we'll into green. Getting pulled both ways.

The navigation notes in the ANT guide to the river advise staying to the  right away from the wier as does the illustration in the book. It does warn of high flow towards the hydro power side as well.

In reality,  the way I see it,  they want you to cut left and moor against the Weir barrier at the lock end. Is this correct?

The signage needs a bit of punctuation and a double ended arrow below. Maybe another sign and CHANGE the navigation notes please!

I thought the sign at the lock itself was quite clear, but I took the paint of my gunwale against it as I slid under the walkway. I think a wall extending from the right hand side of the lock mouth would cut down on the cross current across the lock.

The lady in the boat in Bancroft explained to me when I purchased my license that I would need to move across towards the weir and moor on the staging on the left if the lock wasn't open.  My Nicholson's being older states to keep right. I have a pair of binoculars so studied the area as we approached and didn't have any concerns although I don't think I would want to be coming through the lock if there was much of a flow.