nb Russia

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

I don't get it - it's OK here to mention the man who was wading through 6 inches of water on NB Russia and living in slum conditions ??? Is that not personal and against 'Forum Guidelines'? Perhaps HE did not like everyone on canalworld knowing about his plight and his boat sinking...?

Yet I mention someone who might appreciate a little help and I get jumped on!

Erie Canal - will PM you in a moment.

I'm beginning to feel Fox hunting has been made legal again :(

So, did the lady in question ask for you to make a plea for help on her behalf, and give you permission to post her exact location and details of her personal situation on the internet or not?

If so, what sort of help does she need and has she asked for?

If not, don't you think that was quite the overstep!? I appreciate that you were probably trying to do a good thing, but its not your place to decide what someone else needs or how their living situation suits them, and is, in my opinion, quite the liberty. I imagine that had she accepted your offer of a breakfast after all, she'd feel doubly humiliated to find out that that sort of info was posted about her online.

I don't mean to be unkind when as I say, I see that you were probably trying to be nice, but it is awfully disempowering and patronising to make assumptions and take actions like this on someone else's behalf without their express request, regardless of how badly you feel for her, or feel that her lifestyle or current perceived issues would not be acceptable for you personally.

Edited by Starcoaster

Yes, I was wrong, I see it now. I did say it sort of tongue-in-cheek as so many wring their hands and say "Isn't that terrible, couldn't something have been done?" - I just remembered someone who might appreciate a little - unasked for! - help.

It was mentioned that many are too proud to ask for help.

In that (unmentionable) town boats go past all the time, plenty of folk to help.

Last post for today, as I have other stuff to do, but consider this:

October 2011 I was in the Lake District (Crinkle Crags) with two other people, because of mist we got temporarily lost and I said the most important thing now is to descend from the fells before dark (we were day walking not camping). We got to a road before it was dark and could have walked along it, although a good 10 miles to get back to our B&Bs. It was the Wrynose Pass road, the wrong direction for us, tiny and remote. There was traffic and I thought we could at least try hitch-hiking at first - we did look like walkers in need of assistance, and not sheep murderers waving our axes in frenzied fashion.

9 cars drove past. The 10th stopped and gave us a lift to our B&Bs.

Of those 9 cars, could they not have slowed down, opened the window a crack and asked if we needed help/the Police? Anybody injured?

Nope - it's Me, Me, Me in my car - you have to be careful of rapists these days of course! (especially those that dress in walking boots and knapsacks).

Opening your window a bit, and keeping your doors locked is safe enough I'd hazard a guess, and you can relay any messages onwards (eg. to the Police, or they could phone to the Police when encountering a cellphone signal (rare in the UK!)), you don't have to let them in.

I have noticed that on the canals most folk are friendly (even the fishermen who raised their rods for us one after the other in sequence, we felt we were at a military wedding!)(they were cheery enough)... er... so once again seem to have tied myself up in knots!

ps - there is another little green boat I could mention that gratefully accepts donations of single malt whiskies (unopened bottles only) from those passing by (that's us!) ;)

I live on Engineers Wharf. Russia has been taking on water for a couple of years now, mostly rain water coming into the cargo area and running back. all the boaters here have tried to help the owner, but he has refused our offers of help, he has been living onboard in conditions that fall well below those fit for human habitation, wading through 6 inches of water to get in or out of his boat. on Monday morning we were concerned Russia was finally going down, and contacted CRT and the emergency services to get the owner to safety, the police extracted him at about 10 am at which point we tried to get permission to attempt to Pump Russia out, this was hindered by some parasite, seeing an oppertunity to make a profit on the situation attempting to buy the boat, but we finally got rid of him and set off to his to hire a pump. unfortunately the pump we wanted was unavailable and the pump we managed to get was not up to the task. the only thing laura Raines, CRT moorings manager did was come down and take a photo, despite requests for help CRT did nothing. at about 7pm sadly Russia sunk, and no doubt CRT will take their time clearing up the situation, leaving her to rot, just as they did with the voulnrable Man who was struggling with his life onboard her.

Hiya,

We used to live there - I know how much effort moorers had put into supporting Russia and her owner, I'm so sad to hear things came to a head recently. I do hope he's doing OK and is being well supported now.

Well done for doing all you did,

Lucy

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Taken from London Boaters

Russia making (His, I think) way to wherever CRT take these things.. (I'd be interested to know)

The lines on this boat are probably the nicest I have ever seen.

QYh2DK3.jpg

Not forgetting the human aspect to this. I hope the guy who was living on Russia is doing OK.

Edited by Wanted

That was the boat that used to be tied up outside tescos at Bulls bridge with Alseger wasn't it.

Darren

Yes, I think so, at least according to my neighbour who used to live at Engineers.

Nice isn't it.

Do we know who built such a lovely looking shell?

According to Jim Shead/Canal Plan listing, Yarwood and Sons.

It's a boat that I would love to own.

Not sure if Pete Harrison has commented on "Russia", but this is what I said in a previous post, having originally made a duff assumption as to what it might be.....

A bit of "Googling" seems to say it is not full length, and is probably an amalgam of part of a former Fellows Morton & Clayton boat with an LMS "Station" boat's bow. Why I wrongly guessed from appearance that it was probably an LMS boat, I think.

I'm rather guessing this may be one of those where original identities are uncertain, but I don't know this boat.

All the very best boats are built by Yarwoods, of course, particularly if it happened to be in 1936.........

All the very best boats are built by Yarwoods, of course, particularly if it happened to be in 1936.........

This raises a question about which I was wondering recently. Time and again in these pages we hear stories of modern boats which are poorly finished, don't swim well, are unsafe to use and are built by deplorable, shifty fly-boys who grab your money and disappear cackling over the horizon with it, leaving you broke and boatless, only to reappear under a different name six weeks later and do the same again.

So, were Yarwood's and the other boatbuilders of their era all impeccable craftsmen who were morally and financially spotless, or did such reprehensible episodes occur in the 1930s too?

Edited by Athy