Yarwood maker's plate

fittie

Featured Posts

First off, use the Quote button to put their text into your post. Now you have some options. You could highlight the bit of text you want to highlight and change the text colour, or you could delete the bits you don't want. Be careful not to delete the header and fitter though as everything goes weird

Simplest option is to copy and paste the bit you want and put quote marks at each end

Does that help?

Richard

Easy when you know how. thank you Richard.

I have read/been told more than once that a removable panel was part of the original design, it would be logical if it were, but that doesn't mean it's true and I don't know the details.

Impossible to be sure from the pic I scanned, but those 'rivets' look too prominent to me.

Looking at a Small Woolwich which is here at present, the front bulkhead has been chopped around too many times to establish anything except that the National would not come out through just the lower part of the bulkhead, without stripping parts from the top of the engine first.

Tim

The hole in the bulkhead on Cassiopeia is gas torched through between the frames with a plate riveted over it, not nice and neat like Tyco. I've often thought you would have to remove a lot of parts off the engine to get it though that hole.

I don't really know, but at some point did the GUCCC realise there was going to be a problem and make sure future boats had the access panel.

Venus was wooden and she did have a makers plate.

Sorry, should have said that I don't think they were fitted to the steel boats.

Easy when you know how. thank you Richard.

The hole in the bulkhead on Cassiopeia is gas torched through between the frames with a plate riveted over it, not nice and neat like Tyco. I've often thought you would have to remove a lot of parts off the engine to get it though that hole.

I don't really know, but at some point did the GUCCC realise there was going to be a problem and make sure future boats had the access panel.

Sorry, should have said that I don't think they were fitted to the steel boats.

Well, at some point they realised the best answer was to make the roof demountable!

Tim

I think the Yarwoods plate on Victoria is a replica made by Mike Constable (a previous owner of the boat) some years ago. I believe he copied it from an original. The Yarwoods plate shown on Beatty’s website is another replica from this batch which Mike sold to me: http://www.nbbeatty.co.uk/1937___1960.htm. I punched the builder’s number 586 onto the blank plate. The number matches that shown on a set of Yarwoods builders drawings for Beatty. The plate is about 6” X 4”.

However just over 12 months ago I was lucky enough to get hold of Beatty's original Yarwoods plate, identified by the builder's number. Interestingly it is smaller than the replica plaque, only about 4” X 2 ”, but in other respects it is very similar.

Yarwoodsplatejpg_zps987da676.jpg

Edited by Nick G

Yarwoods made a variety of different sized plates to suit their boats. Large circular ones for vessels like the Jackson Grundy, Rectangular ones were fitted to the Mere barges and I think they used the same size on the Royalty motors. Royalty William had an original back in the 70s which was copied and the replica fitted to the very obvious holes/corrosion pattern on the back end of Victoria. Beatty therefore had a Royalty sized plate fitted before Nick managed to acquire the original smaller version which looks like a pigeon box plate rather than a bulkhead one. I probably still have the Royalty size pattern somewhere. Victoria and Beatty travelled back from the Yarwoods Gathering together on the Ship Canal which is where the 'deal was done'.

That's a good picture of Cassiopeia's bulkhead for this topic PJ. The plate itself is a replacement, however, you're photo shows the corrosion from where the original was fitted offset.

It also shows the riveted panel where most GU boats have bolted ones.

Mick P

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

The large maker's plate will be £40 each and the smaller ones will be £30 (if we can make a pattern) so that will be £70 the pair cast in admiralty bronze (?)

get back to me so I can tell the founder.

The large ones were cast iron.

The rivet counters would not be happy.

blink.png

Tim

Not on a big Northwich they weren't - the rivet counters will be happy now!

Sorry Tim

The large were both cast iron and bronze, I have seen both on craft. The little ones were broze and made from what appeared to be lead letters on a stippled backing plate.

Sorry Tim if this is as Laurence says,

Can someone post an image of a cast iron one as I have never seen one and the images on this thread are of the bronze type.

If my memory serves me correctly the cast iron ones were on maintenance type craft (Hoppers?), I have no photos of them.

• 3 years later...
On 11/02/2015 at 16:51, fittie said:

Hi,

The large maker's plate will be £40 each and the smaller ones will be £30 (if we can make a pattern) so that will be £70 the pair cast in admiralty bronze (?)

get back to me so I can tell the founder.

I am still after one of these small Yarwood builders plates, the one that is fitted to the pigeon box of a G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. motor, so if anybody bought one from 'fittie' and have subsequently found that they did not have a need for it please get in touch as I have a good home for it - and will as always pay a fair price.

I had some communication with 'fittie' a while ago and he has none left :captain: