Photos of large GU boats engine room details

madcat

Featured Posts

Once again defeated putting a pic on here but if you go to www.badseys.co.uk and choose History of Badsey you will see a set of pics, two of which show the restored engine going in through the removed roof. You will then spot the ladder in place and in the other pic, the holes that the ladder fix into.

Hope that helps.

935614.jpg

935612.jpg

935623.jpg

Once again defeated putting a pic on here but if you go to www.badseys.co.uk and choose History of Badsey you will see a set of pics, two of which show the restored engine going in through the removed roof. You will then spot the ladder in place and in the other pic, the holes that the ladder fix into.

Hope that helps.

The images I'm seeing are quite small

938987.jpg

935612.jpg

935614.jpg

Thanks to Dave and Alan for posting the pics.

One day I will get the hang of it.

(on the website the pics get larger if you click on them).

And yes - updating that website is one of my NY resolutions

Yes I've been waiting for the history of angel since you first bought it !!!

Darren

Thanks to Dave and Alan for posting the pics.

One day I will get the hang of it.

If the pictures are already on line somewhere, rather than just sitting on your computer as a 'JPG' file or similar, then it is relatively a doddle.....

Simply get the picture displayed on its current web location, (the expanded image from your Badsey site, in this case).

Right click on the image.

Select "Copy image location", and copy that location with "Copy" or <CTRL>+C.

You then have the URL of a web address that is the JPG file, such as....

http://cdn-18.create.net/siteimages/18/6/5/186541/935583.jpg

Now paste that into your forum post, in full, exactly as copied.

You then only need to put 'IMG' tags around it - my problem is now to show an IMG tag, construct, without it immediately showing a picture instead, but the leading tag should be the characters IMG surrounded by square brackets (5 characters on all), whereas the one that goes after the URL should contain /IMG surrounded by square brackets (6 characters in all).

To demonstrate, without it actually happening, I'll use curly brackets instead, so what you end up with should look like....

{IMG}http://cdn-18.create.net/siteimages/18/6/5/186541/935583.jpg{/IMG},but with a [ instead of each { and a ] instead of each ].

If I now actually do that below, you'll not see any of that, because those tags are picked up upon, and the JPG at the URL contained between them gets displayed, like this...

935583.jpg

EDIT:

Well that nearly worked, except that even doing what I did, the URLs of the JPG have got picked up on, and displayed as clickable link with the name appearing shortened! frusty.gif What you want is the URL exactly as copied, not what has happened to that as soon as I clicked the ruddy "post" button!

Edited by alan_fincher

If the pictures are already on line somewhere, rather than just sitting on your computer as a 'JPG' file or similar, then it is relatively a doddle.....

Simply get the picture displayed on its current web location, (the expanded image from your Badsey site, in this case).

Or at this point, click on the picture icon at the top of the "Reply to this topic" box, and paste the picture URL into the pop up box that appears, then click on OK.

Or at this point, click on the picture icon at the top of the "Reply to this topic" box, and paste the picture URL into the pop up box that appears, then click on OK.

Doh yes!

Avoids my complex explanation of something that is actually dead simple, as well!

Severn and Canal, I heard, were so concerned about waves that they omitted the side hatches altogether on the "tree class" boats! Though the earlier wooden motors (with 20 hp Bolinders, bet they went like rockets!) did have side hatches.

I doubt this is true. The Charles Hill motors (not "Tree class") have their living cabin facing into the hold, the engine being fitted astern therefore there is access as normal so no need for side doors at all.

As the early motors were built by a normal production boatyard they simply supplied a normal motor boat as was their ordinary build.

Our boat is currently moored next to Ash at Norton Canes, a remarkably well preserved metal hull awaiting proper restoration (been waiting some 30+ years to my memory!!)

Off topic, but i fitted that horrible Perkins, replacing the totally knackered horrible Perkins P3 that was already in there.

Ah yes, I remember it well captain.gif

I had my doubts about that Perkins when we bought BADSEY and BARNES, which at the time were on the River Wey (May 1988). As I did not fancy taking the pair down to Brentford with that engine the deal was only completed once the seller had got them there. We then took them to Birmingham (in 5 days with just me and my wife who was seven months pregnant) and I remember that P3 really struggling up through the river sections around Springwell.

My plan was to run the Perkins to destruction then replace it with a Lister HA2 or HB2 - good enough for BTW / Willow Wren C.T.S. Ltd. / Blue Line then good enough for me. A rapidly expanding family overtook our boating and BADSEY and BARNES were sold before the Perkins expired - but by which time BADSEY was a pretty cool motor (and BARNES remained a heap with a disgusting rotten cabin). Unbelievably the Perkins lasted another six years or so, and in the five years between us selling and the boat painter at Ellesmere Port buying BADSEY's condition deteriorated considerably.

It was said boat painter that I changed the engine for, but fair play for the the P3, how it managed to get to ellesmere port in the condition it was in was a testament to the fact that if a Perkins will start it will never die. :-))

Yes I've been waiting for the history of angel since you first bought it !!!

Darren

Will do sir. Delay due merely to us still working on Angel - and it keeps raining.............

Now paste that into your forum post, in full, exactly as copied.

You then only need to put 'IMG' tags around it - my problem is now to show an IMG tag, construct, without it immediately showing a picture instead, but the leading tag should be the characters IMG surrounded by square brackets (5 characters on all), whereas the one that goes after the URL should contain /IMG surrounded by square brackets (6 characters in all).

To demonstrate, without it actually happening, I'll use curly brackets instead, so what you end up with should look like....

{IMG}http://cdn-18.create.net/siteimages/18/6/5/186541/935583.jpg{/IMG},but with a [ instead of each { and a ] instead of each ].

If I now actually do that below, you'll not see any of that, because those tags are picked up upon, and the JPG at the URL contained between them gets displayed, like this...

EDIT:

Well that nearly worked, except that even doing what I did, the URLs of the JPG have got picked up on, and displayed as clickable link with the name appearing shortened! frusty.gif What you want is the URL exactly as copied, not what has happened to that as soon as I clicked the ruddy "post" button!

Thanks for that, I now have no excuse.

Thanks also. I have combined the two lessons

Off topic, but i fitted that horrible Perkins, replacing the totally knackered horrible Perkins P3 that was already in there.

Turned out not to be so 'orrible as Sandy got us a great price and installed it in another boat.

I had my doubts about that Perkins when we bought BADSEY and BARNES, which at the time were on the River Wey (May 1988). As I did not fancy taking the pair down to Brentford with that engine the deal was only completed once the seller had got them there. We then took them to Birmingham (in 5 days with just me and my wife who was seven months pregnant) and I remember that P3 really struggling up through the river sections around Springwell.

My plan was to run the Perkins to destruction then replace it with a Lister HA2 or HB2 - good enough for BTW / Willow Wren C.T.S. Ltd. / Blue Line then good enough for me. A rapidly expanding family overtook our boating and BADSEY and BARNES were sold before the Perkins expired - but by which time BADSEY was a pretty cool motor (and BARNES remained a heap with a disgusting rotten cabin). Unbelievably the Perkins lasted another six years or so, and in the five years between us selling and the boat painter at Ellesmere Port buying BADSEY's condition deteriorated considerably.

Thanks Pete - more history - Badsey is still pretty cool

January 1978

90.png

Don Grey on Pensax in front (with a Bolinder in it - I think).

Edited by Speedwheel

January 1978

Don Grey on Pensax in front (with a Bolinder in it - I think).

I found BADSEY fine as a single motor, and more than adequate towing anything on flat water (I towed two boats back to Birmingham from the Black Country Museum in September 1989 in three hours) - it just seemed to struggle going against a flow when also towing.

edit - PENSAX did have a Bolinder back then - a 15hp 'NE' that was previously in NORTH STAR, and it was subsequently fitted into exF.M.C. Ltd. ADDER (c1985) and more recently into F.M.C. Ltd. CLOVER (2013) captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

Sculptor's arrangement - I am fairly sure it was Ian Kemp who rebuilt Sculptor in the mid eighties. I am happy to take any specific images but if it could wait until tomorrow I'd be grateful as it hasn't got above zero centigrade here today! The height of the 'upstand' in the doorway is about 2 inches I should think.

The left hand door and ladder (three steel rungs)

16008870409_f9a5d5a9d8_z.jpg

The right hand door and ladder attachment

16007495278_b56cf47b2e_z.jpg

I had intended to take some photos of Flamingo's "holes", but events rather took over, and I failed to in the end. (Don't ask, I'm just too embarrassed to explain for a bit!).

No ladders, but as far as I can see, the holes are in a similar place to Sculptor.

Have you dropped the camera in the cut smile.png

No, unfortunately not - but I will now confess.

Me, in a rather bad way actually.

With failed lighting at the mooring, I stupidly tried to walk pontoon carrying 25Kg of coal in the dark, Next thing I am under near freezing water, and shortly after wondering how I'm going to make Cath hear me, because I certainly won't be getting out on my own.

Yes, it is amazingly hard, even with assistance to get fully clothed out of very cold water, An A&E visit followed, Cut to neck, sprain and cut to finger, very painful right knee, (surprisingly not really looked at), and torn ligaments to left shoulder.

I'm a bit of a mess frankly, and the shoulder at least will be out for lots of weeks. My own stupid fault though, and could have been far worse if I had been alone - stay safe out there - I seem incapable of it!

With failed lighting at the mooring, I stupidly tried to walk pontoon carrying 25Kg of coal in the dark, Next thing I am under near freezing water, and shortly after wondering how I'm going to make Cath hear me, because I certainly won't be getting out on my own.

Yes, it is amazingly hard, even with assistance to get fully clothed out of very cold water, An A&E visit followed, Cut to neck, sprain and cut to finger, very painful right knee, (surprisingly not really looked at), and torn ligaments to left shoulder.

I'm a bit of a mess frankly, and the shoulder at least will be out for lots of weeks. My own stupid fault though, and could have been far worse if I had been alone - stay safe out there - I seem incapable of it!

Poor Alan, I'm very sorry to read about your accident, but how lucky you were that you were not alone and that Cath was there to help you out.

I wish you a very quick recovery, and all the best.

Peter.

Crikey Alan!

I'm glad you got out ok but it must be very frustrating having another long healing injury just when your workload has increased quite dramatically

If you need help - or rather, if your wife needs help moving boats about, do ask on here. I'm sure there are loads of people in the south who would willingly help - they just need asking!

Absolutely. I'm boatless at the moment so any excuse to get out lockwheeling!

Thanks for the good wishes, and offers of help.

Other than delaying getting on with much it isn't really an issue, as all boats are on a paid for moorings.

What will come into play at some stage may be trying to get Chalice sold, with an associated move to a brokerage. But long term winter stoppages on the GU preclude any action on that for several weeks anyway.

Im sorry to hear that Alan :-( Hope you recover soon, its never nice when an unplanned bath happens. Perhaps it might be an idea to put some rope ladders on the boat that can be grabbed if you are in the water? It is something that I keep intending to sort out.

As for the engine hole - the upstand in Rufford is identical to Sculptor (less the ladders), the upstand still retains the holes for the ladders.

What I cannot fathom is, if this was done to 'waterproof' the engine bay a little, how was this made water tight? Were they riveted in or welded in? Mine is welded, however I presumed that is because it has been rebuilt. Were these bits originally welded? I just cannot see how they could rivet it.