Help Requested with Attitudes to Inland Waterways Survey

john6767

Featured Posts

My son is doing his final year Geography dissertation at Aberystwyth University. His particular area of interest is how the inland waterways have influenced the cities, towns, infrastructure and population since the beginning of the industrial revolution.

He has produced a survey that has 8 short multiple choice questions and is to gather individual opinions and attitudes. If people could spare a couple of minutes to complete this he would be very grateful.

I think questions 6, 7 and 8 should have a "Don't know" option.

I really don't know whether waterways will be a significant part of the future of the UK for leisure and recreation? Given the nature of this forum I suppose many people will naturally agree with that statement, but I have no idea what will happen in the future. For example, with a population projected to reach 70 million by 2027; 78 million by 2037 and on the same projection 132 million by this time next century, the waterways may well become much less significant in terms of leisure and recreation and much more significant in terms of housing and accommodation. It really depends on what happens after I'm long dead and I really have no idea.

Edit: Sorry I don't mean to be unhelpful, but when designing these sort of surveys one really needs to think very carefully about the questions. Perhaps this will also help your son.

Edited by blackrose

Thanks to the many who have already replied., keep the responses coming.

Blackrose, thanks for the comments, I am sure that there are massive flaws in his survey (I must do it myself and see), but it is only a first degree dissertation, so it does not need to be that great. The biggest issue with it to me is the sample population that he will get, whilst the forum is not the only place that respondents are coming from, the forum is certainly a very skewed set of individuals statistically speaking! So an important part of what he needs to discuss will be that fact in my opinion.

Done

Might have been more useful for the dissertation to have more questions that are directed at certain categories of canal users, i.e. boaters, walkers, fishermen etc. which would have have taken some of the skew away from a narrow band of users.

Other than that good luck with the dissertation.

That was quick, for the don't knows I just put 5 half and half

My son is doing his final year Geography dissertation at Aberystwyth University. His particular area of interest is how the inland waterways have influenced the cities, towns, infrastructure and population since the beginning of the industrial revolution.
He has produced a survey that has 8 short multiple choice questions and is to gather individual opinions and attitudes. If people could spare a couple of minutes to complete this he would be very grateful.

I have shared it on my Facebook page, I hope that was OK

As a 'live-aboard' boater my answers may skew the survey. If a dissertation requires a survey the course should include an element of survey design. OTOH, when I was a University student (1965) the emphasis was on self education.

Obviously demographics are important; in this case it is more useful to know how the canal is used (e.g. walking, boating, angling) than the gender of the respondent. Most surveys include a freeform text box where I could explain my particular circumstance.

In particular I agree with Blackrose, I would like to see the canals maintained for navigation but in the past disused canals have served as 'linear parks'. Some even filled in and built over by housing when the canal could have been maintained as a feature that may have attracted a premium for a 'waterside property'.

Alan