Calorifier flow cooling Hot Water Tank?

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

I have to say, they are wonderful, reliable, powerful engines and it's nothing more than personal prejudice born of the circumstances under which I acquired it. It was a compromise because Mrs MtB so wanted this particular boat after we'd looked at LOADS, when I really wanted a Gardner or a Kelvin. After the dull and boring Beta 35 it was a big step towards being a vintagey sort of engine and I hoped I would grow to like it, but I didn't. Nothing intrinsically wrong with it (other than the persistently unpleasant exhaust smoke), I just never grew to love it.

Would not stop be getting one again in the right circumstances though. A most excellent engine provided you understand it isn't going to cut it if you really want a proper vintage lump. I guess I fell for the Beta marketing describing it as a 'tug engine'. Which it isn't. (Whatever a tug engine IS, lol!)

MtB

Its a Dexta tractor engine

Edited by ditchcrawler

The BD3 is mostly Lister CRK3, becoming a Ford 3000 series with extra bits. We have the 'last one' in our boat.

The JD3, Beta's replacement 'tug' engine after they ran out of BD3's, is a John Deere job.

They're only called Beta because of the marinising work.

I don't know about the Dexta/Dexter thing - was that a model of tractor, that used the Ford/Lister engine?

Edited by Loafer

The limitation of 100 deg C on valves usually means they is unsuitable for steam use or even pressurized water systems working just above this temperature.

Your engine is hopefully only running at 80 deg C max - if not a lot of the nitrile rubber seals fitted in the gearbox and engine will have a very short life!

Items that run at higher temperatures are fitted with Viton rubber and/or PTFE seals.

As others have said, apart from the initial fill, the pumped flow direction will make little difference.

If you want details of the motorized valve, let me know and I will find it when I am next at the boat.

I have one on the radiator system, controlled via the Mikuni thermostat when on engine boat heating mode, as I was getting complaints about the boat getting too hot!

I've never seen 80 degrees even working upstream, so I'm content that the NRV you recommend will cope. Since it's not critical, I don't intend to break into my system at this time of year, so any corrective action is a project for post-winter. I'd prefer a passive solution from pipework tweaks if possible, but I'd be grateful for motorized valve details when convenient Adrian as that's a guaranteed and quite elegant fix if push comes to shove!

Before this thread disappears down the rabbit hole of the merits of various engines, can I just squeeze in a quick thanks for your input folks!

The BD3 is mostly Lister CRK3, becoming a Ford 3000 series with extra bits. We have the 'last one' in our boat.

The JD3, Beta's replacement 'tug' engine after they ran out of BD3's, is a John Deere job.

I don't know about the Dexta/Dexter thing - was that a model of tractor, that used the Ford/Lister engine?

Mine has Ford on the casting

Strange. Mine has Lister! I'll have a look round for a Ford stamp somewhere. Where does yours say 'Ford'?

On the block, but we came home yesterday so can't say exactly where. It catches out the smartar** who think they can identify an engine by the exhaust note. its a Ford, no its a Lister, or is it a Beta or then again was it actually made by Perkins? they can never get it right.

• 4 months later...

The BD3/CRK3 is a marinised Ford 3000 engine built by the late Ford Tractor Company of Basildon. The 3 cylinder engine fitted to the Fordson Dexta, which ceased production in 1964, was a Perkins engine built in Peterborough and bought in by Fords who were not producing 3 cylinder engines when the Dexta was introduced in 1958 and could not justify the expense of tooling up for a new engine at that time. Ford 3 cylinder engines appeared for the first time with the introduction of the 'World' or '1000 Series' tractors in 1964 and were fitted in the Ford 2000/3000/4000. The 4 cylinder CRK4 would have been a de-rated version of the engine fitted in the Ford 5000 and later, in it's turbocharged form, in the Ford 7000. The 6 cylinder CRK6 was destined for lorries, combines and the like as well as finding its way into many fishing boats and larger pleasure vessels.