Water pressure problem

mark h

Featured Posts

After a shower a few weeks back, the pressure relief valve started pumping all of my fresh water into the canal. I have a shurflo 4901 - 4215 pump (30psi), a 5litre Zilmet accumulator, and a 3 bar prv.

I replaced the PRV for a similar 3 bar (with guage), and the problem still occurs, in that I switch the pump on, and if no taps are open, the PRV operates and start letting water go (the guage reads appx 3.2, at its peak). I have cleaned out the filter between the tank and pump - with no joy. I have tried adjusting the pump pressure screw (both clockwise and anti clockwise, and still the prv cuts in. I have tested the accumulator pressure (just before the PRV cuts in and its appx 20psi). I am have now got to the limit of my knowledge (not that it was high before), and am totally lost what to do next.....any ideas?

Subject to more experienced members here:-

a 3 bar PRV should not blow off until the pressure reaches 3 Bar - or 45psi in old money. So it's either faulty OR needs bedding down (on the few occasions that I've had to fit a new PRV, I have always rotated the cap a few times in order to 'bed it down' and clear any debris). It used to be good practice to preform this routine 'occasionally'.

Worth trying that?

Otherwise I've no further ideas (other than getting a new one - always nice to have a spare...)

Initially I agree with Bizz. I think the fact that two different 3 bar PRVs are letting by indicates the pressure switch in your pump isn't switching OFF until well above 3 bar.

On his second point I disagree if you value you time. Just fit a new pump, they are cheap enough on ebay. You can waste HOURS on end faffing about trying to fix a pressure switch with no success in my experience ;)

MtB

Initially I agree with Bizz. I think the fact that two different 3 bar PRVs are letting by indicates the pressure switch in your pump isn't switching OFF until well above 3 bar.

On his second point I disagree if you value you time. Just fit a new pump, they are cheap enough on ebay. You can waste HOURS on end faffing about trying to fix a pressure switch with no success in my experience wink.png

MtB

Agree