Moderating Decisions

junior

Featured Posts

I'm sure I have suggested this before, but I can't find it so thought I might try again.

How about a 'Moderating Decisions' page/subforum?

I see yet again a thread has been removed or locked, and shortly after we have a new thread, initially started to discuss just the 'removal' of the old thread, but inevitably discussion will get back onto the original subject again. I have seen this happen a few times recently, although I don't have the time to trawl through the archives for specific examples. These new threads are usually as a result of people just wanting to know why a thread was locked, or where a complete thread has gone. I must admit I myself find it a little frustrating.

The other forum (not boating) has a specific section for 'Moderating Decisions'. It works well. Here it is...

http://www.northstandchat.com/forumdisplay.php?47-Moderating-Decisions

If we had something similar here not only would it mean there was no reason for the new threads about old topics, but it would give the moderators a way of explaining why they took the actions they did.

Are you offering to pay the mods for the time they will have to spend explaining their actions to a bunch of braying morons?

You appear to have a very low opinion of your fellow forum members.

It seems to me when a thread has run for a while with no problems and is suddenly hidden or deleted then it's reasonable to expect a little bit of information as to why.

Janet

• Greenie 1

Are you offering to pay the mods for the time they will have to spend explaining their actions to a bunch of braying morons?

I think the majority of the forum might take exception to being called morons. Now should I report that post as insulting?,,,,,,,,,,,,

You appear to have a very low opinion of your fellow forum members.

It seems to me when a thread has run for a while with no problems and is suddenly hidden or deleted then it's reasonable to expect a little bit of information as to why.

Janet

Only when he is posting from the comfort of his key board though. I suspect he would be less inclined to 'give it so large' face to face.

I think the majority of the forum might take exception to being called morons. Now should I report that post as insulting?,,,,,,,,,,,,

The majority don't act like morons, but there is a certain percentage that do, Report it if you so wish...

Exactly.

I'd be interested to know what the mods think.

It would, but there is little upside for the mods in telling us what they think. Whatever they say will be challenged and dissected endlessly, for what benefit (to them, I mean)?

MtB

Hahaha...

However I don't believe I have ever referred to fellow members as 'braying morons'. And you are straying into pot and kettle territory me thinks.

I don't think what I said could be classed as "giving it large"..

OK how would you define it then? and would you be happy to call another member a 'braying moron' to their face?

Edited by The Dog House

if a thread has been removed or locked the person will have been informed as to why it prompted a removal,unfortunately others wont know this so open a new thread asking why.

Would it be possible to also post the text of that message onto the forum, perhaps after removing anything that identifies the individual moderator or the person who reported the post? If it was possible, it could prevent any uneccessary speculation, although I accept that the reason given could generate even more debate.

Edited by David Schweizer

although I accept that the reason given could generate even more debate.

That is the problem. Every decision they made would be picked apart with half of the forum for and half against, causing the moderators much more hassle.

OK how would you define it then? and would you be happy to call another member a 'braying moron' to their face?

I wouldn't feel the need to define it.

If I thought a particular member acted like a braying moron I would probably avoid meeting them as I don't generally enjoy the company of braying morons.

It would, but there is little upside for the mods in telling us what they think. Whatever they say will be challenged and dissected endlessly, for what benefit (to them, I mean)?

MtB

The proposed section should be "read only" for all except mods.

If I thought a particular member acted like a braying moron I would probably avoid meeting them as I don't generally enjoy the company of braying morons.

Well that's a lot of people you are going to need to avoid given it was pretty much a 'scatter gun' bit of name calling.

TDH would still probably start another thread.

fatigue.gif

(Plenty of people querying moderating decisions on here at the moment and you single me out)

Edited by The Dog House