WARNING! led

jenlyn

Featured Posts

It's the last one of ten I bought some time back. I replaced the others with a different model, but forgot this one. I replaced the others as the little diodes kept failing.

I've no wish to enflame the general argument here, however, there's a point in the original post that should not be overlooked. if the LED which burst into flames was one of a batch of TEN, all of which were also faulty, you are probably being just a little more tolerant than you really ought to be. At the very least you ought to let the chandler know, as it seems unlikely he'd wish to be responsible for selling faulty goods, let alone dangerous ones.

I've no wish to enflame the general argument here, however, there's a point in the original post that should not be overlooked. if the LED which burst into flames was one of a batch of TEN, all of which were also faulty, you are probably being just a little more tolerant than you really ought to be. At the very least you ought to let the chandler know, as it seems unlikely he'd wish to be responsible for selling faulty goods, let alone dangerous ones.

At the time of the other failures, which did not result in flames, I took them back. I'd forgotten this one.

I do know he does not sell this particular bulb anymore, and I will be contacting him again in the new year, merely to find the manufacturer.

In the meantime, the picture of the bulb itself is quite clear, and having looked on the internet myself, I have found its quite a distinctive one. I think it's relatively important having a picture of the item to determine if anyone has a similar item on their boat. It's quite widely sold, so I suspect many retailers sell it.

Me naming one at the moment will do little, compared to having a picture of the item.

The other point of course, is I did mention I had pm'ed two other members, but let's not let that get in the way of a bunfight eh?

That last remark was not aimed at you personally by the way.

At the time of the other failures, which did not result in flames, I took them back. I'd forgotten this one.

I do know he does not sell this particular bulb anymore, and I will be contacting him again in the new year, merely to find the manufacturer.

In the meantime, the picture of the bulb itself is quite clear, and having looked on the internet myself, I have found its quite a distinctive one. I think it's relatively important having a picture of the item to determine if anyone has a similar item on their boat. It's quite widely sold, so I suspect many retailers sell it.

Me naming one at the moment will do little, compared to having a picture of the item.

The other point of course, is I did mention I had pm'ed two other members, but let's not let that get in the way of a bunfight eh?

That last remark was not aimed at you personally by the way.

Negative remarks which could cause people to think again before posting further safety warnings ARE dangerous!

Thanks for the tip Jenlyn as I am thinking if replacing my old bulbs with LED's. Hopefully they should help my battery life.

Given that bit of info, Anne Robinson can now rest easier in her bed - after she's done a quick check of her LEDs armed with the original photo!

I believe it's correct not to name the business in an open forum. It may well have been a bad batch. Naming the business could well damage the reputation unnecessarily because of this mishap.

How they respond to the contact from Jenlyn is all important. They have responded positively in the past.

I got a PM from Jenlyn.

Martyn

I believe it's correct not to name the business in an open forum. It may well have been a bad batch. Naming the business could well damage the reputation unnecessarily because of this mishap.How they respond to the contact from Jenlyn is all important. They have responded positively in the past.I got a PM from Jenlyn.Martyn

Well so far several business's have been suggested...isn't that just as damaging to them? Surely if this a discussion forum then information such as this should be discussed openly?

Cheers

Gareth

But you have no problem damaging the manufacture reputation of there (maybe) "bad batch"? what's the difference.

Agreed, problems arise, and it's how there delt with that's the importent. So if this situation is delt with in a way that makes the OP Happy I see no reason why that would damage there reputation, in fact it most likely will help the fact that people know they are dealing with the issue and have responded in such a way that shows they value people's custom.

Surely no one would avoid a shop that delt with the customers in such a way?

There's no point whatever naming the chandlers. The bulbs came from China either directly to the chandlers or via a UK distributor. The op could have bought them direct for about a 10th of the price.

So if this is the case you don't feel people should be made awear that Mr Chandler is buying shoddy goods and charging top dollar for something that could destroy there home and maybe there selfs/loved ones?

There's no point whatever naming the chandlers. The bulbs came from China either directly to the chandlers or via a UK distributor. The op could have bought them direct for about a 10th of the price.

So if this is the case you don't feel people should be made awear that Mr Chandler is buying shoddy goods and charging top dollar for something that could destroy there home and maybe there selfs/loved ones?

As an aside, I think many are put off blaming and shaming due to the fear culture of law suits etc. I've made comments, good and bad, on Tripadviser but have always wondered what the real legal position is if a vender decides to cry foul play (or decides to fire back for whatever reason). Any legal experts here know?

Everyone with an ounce of nouse knows this anyway. The only advantage of buying from a chandlers/shop is being able to see the product before purchase and have somewhere to go back to if it goes wrong. That's it.

As for shoddy products, they're the same as the ones everyone else is selling. Why do you think places like bedazzled don't name the manufacturer of their products and instead give them a generic description? They're the same bulbs that you can get direct from China for a fraction of the price. You don't think they actually test them to any degree before they bang them on the site do you? They simply get them, flog them and deal with returns if there's a problem.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

While I sympathise with the OP and the problems he has had it should be a timely warn to all who fit LED lamps to check they are suitable for the use they are put to.

A large number of 12v LED's are critical with regards to voltage and despite what some of the suppliers may say, the LED's work within a very narrow voltage margin.

Unless a boat system has accurate voltage regulation, the voltage from the batteries can peak at around 14.5 volts and progressively reduce the life of such LED's, or even cause severe overheating.

Buying cheap LED's can be beneficial providing the input voltage is regulated. As an example, in a motorhome I had until recently I replaced the existing 8 watt tubes with 3 x 48 SMD LED blocks in each fitting which gave a greater light output with at least a 70% reduction in current consumption and knocked up a simple regulator for the lighting circuits which stabilised the voltage. The LED blocks currently cost around £1 each.

Edited by jam

While I sympathise with the OP and the problems he has had it should be a timely warn to all who fit LED lamps to check they are suitable for the use they are put to.

A large number of 12v LED's are critical with regards to voltage and despite what some of the suppliers may say, the LED's work within a very narrow voltage margin.

Unless a boat system has accurate voltage regulation, the voltage from the batteries can peak at around 14.5 volts and progressively reduce the life of such LED's, or even cause severe overheating.

Buying cheap LED's can be beneficial providing the input voltage is regulated. As an example, in a motorhome I had until recently I replaced the existing 8 watt tubes with 3 x 48 SMD LED blocks in each fitting which gave a greater light output with at least a 70% reduction in current consumption and knocked up a simple regulator for the lighting circuits which stabilised the voltage. The LED blocks currently cost around £1 each.

Sorry to the op for veering off topic but can you explain how to do this maybe in another thread,Jam.I wanted to change out some of those tubes for led ones until i saw the price.Is there a dummy proof way of doing what you did?

Sorry to the op for veering off topic but can you explain how to do this maybe in another thread,Jam.I wanted to change out some of those tubes for led ones until i saw the price.Is there a dummy proof way of doing what you did?

Will do in the next day or so, just need to dig out the experimental bits and some piccys