Who's frozen in then?

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

So we came to the boat last night to with the intention of running down to Diglis for New Year. Marina frozen over here at Droitwich, so I guess we'll be hanging around for a day or two looking at the forecast. I wouldn't have thought we were in a particularly exposed spot, not particularly far north, so I got to wondering how many others are surrounded by ice?

And is everyone ok, or is someone stuck somewhere miles from a pub, with waxed up diesel, flat batteries (with just enough left to read a forum!), just fumes in their last gas bottle, down to their last shovel of coal and only a pint of unfrozen water left in their tank?!

• Greenie 1

So we came to the boat last night to with the intention of running down to Diglis for New Year. Marina frozen over here at Droitwich, so I guess we'll be hanging around for a day or two looking at the forecast. I wouldn't have thought we were in a particularly exposed spot, not particularly far north, so I got to wondering how many others are surrounded by ice?

And is everyone ok, or is someone stuck somewhere miles from a pub, with waxed up diesel, flat batteries (with just enough left to read a forum!), just fumes in their last gas bottle, down to their last shovel of coal and only a pint of unfrozen water left in their tank?!

And Jumping around cross legged with an overflowing bog.

We are in Braunston. Ice on the water. Boats crunching their way through.

We have an empty pump out tank and a half full/empty portaloo with the service sluce two minutes walk away. Some may say, forward planning,some will say fortunate.

However, we have a duff domestic alternator,we are getting some charge into the. Batteries via a jump lead from the starter battery and its alternator. Having it 'done' next year.

But there's always someone worse of than..............we have heat!

Hi all,

According to my external temperature gauge, it Got down to -7 last night, +7 in my engine bay and +11in the main Cabin !.

it's due to be a bit warmer tonight though so the weather girl just said to -5.

All ok though, everything normal, and luckily enough I emptied my holding tank just the other day,

Well, someone just sailed from here. Much revving of the engine in forward and reverse, crew on the bow beating the ice ahead with poles and lots of graunching noises. Slow going indeed and he looked pretty much stuck for a while so I can't see him making a huge amount of progress. Lord knows what he was doing to his blacking, but it takes all sorts, eh? Perhaps he's in a hurry?

ETA: How nice is that South Oxford scene above?!

Edited by Sea Dog

Well it froze over Sunday night here in Northampton marina, stayed frozen all day Monday, & is still frozen today (Tuesday). Thicker than I thought it would be, I bashed it a few times with my boat hook.
1 1/2 weeks left to go on my pumpout, but dont need to worry because I can always use the marina facilities. No worries about electric (on hook up) or gas or coal which get delivered.
2014%2520-%25201.jpg
2014%2520-%25202.jpg

Certainly a bit solid on the South Oxford this morning at -5. But rewarded with a beautiful sunrise.

IMG_0409.jpg

That's the sort of photo that one shows to non-boaters who ask "Why do you do it?" greeno for you, Mr. M.

Pumpout empty,. Hose is on, filling the freshwater tanks but very slow (probably I'm not the only one topping up) that gives me a month or 6 weeks for both.

I'm on shore meter for leccy and don't use gas.......I only have ten days or a fortnight worth of logs at best. If push comes to shove there is a big stack of pallets in the corner of the yard to be cut up!

By the way ........Lovely pictures!!!

Not me, I'm moored on a river, but I wasn't going anywhere anyway.

Fear not Southerners, it's +8 here in the Spey Valley they had +10 in Stornoway this morning and it's heading your way. By the time it reaches the South you'll all be getting out the Bermuda shorts.

Warm weather moving south, how odd?

I assume you mean "Why do you leave your front doors open when its ruddy freezing"

Nice photo do agree smile.png

I did clock that, but my reply to my own similar question was, so that you don't lock yourself out when it's ruddy freezing.

we've had between 1/3 - 1/2in. of ice the last two days, but as boats pass and the sun hits it in the afternoon it's been breaking up and melting. It was completely gone yesterday by about 3ish, today it didn't melt as much, but there was a lot less traffic going past today as well.

Waste tank just about full (on day 40 today), but the pump out boat is coming to us tomorrow.

Water tank needs to be topped up

Fuel about 3/4 full, but Phil is stopping on his way back down and we'll get a bit more coal then as well. Still have enough on board for about a month & a half, depending on how cold the temps get

Dave emptied the garbage today and topped up the vino & Baileys supply so other than nursing a couple of bad flue / colds we're ok :)