Why do narrowboats pass on the right?

Southern Star

Featured Posts

As a kid I was in Sweden in the Sixties - they were the last country to change and killed twenty people on the first day.

I remember that, 1967 wasn't it? Often wondered how many casualties there were.

Actually if the world was to adopt a consistent approach it should be everyone driving on the left. Because of the right eye dominant thing I believe it is safer to drive a vehicle with steering on the right side.

As a kid I was in Sweden in the Sixties - they were the last country to change and killed twenty people on the first day.

Ireland is planning to change over in phases. Goods vehicles on the first day, private cars on the second, public transport on the third day, and so on.

They hope it will avoid the problems the Swedes had.

• 8 months later...

As to the topic why do narrowboats pass on the right?

If you think about it horses travel the toe path as the road on the left, when you meet another boat the rope goes over the top so it does not need untying thus pulling the boat on the right hand side.

The side the horse is on would depend which way the boat is travelling and which side the tow path is on.

Ireland is planning to change over in phases. Goods vehicles on the first day, private cars on the second, public transport on the third day, and so on.

They hope it will avoid the problems the Swedes had.

Hmmm there's a better rendition of that joke:

Ireland are changing the rules and all cars must drive on the right. If it works out ok, all the lorries and buses will too.

:)

As to the topic why do narrowboats pass on the right?

If you think about it horses travel the toe path as the road on the left, when you meet another boat the rope goes over the top so it does not need untying thus pulling the boat on the right hand side.

Perhaps I am wrong but I thought when horse boats passed one of them, can't remember which, dropped its tow rope for the other to sail over.

Perhaps I am wrong but I thought when horse boats passed one of them, can't remember which, dropped its tow rope for the other to sail over.

Yes, you are right, the horse pulling the boat furthest from the towpath stops closest to the canal and drops the tow rope into the water allowing the boat nearest to the towpath to pass over it.

The best reason I can find is that boats used to be steered by an oar at the stern that was mounted to the starboard side so boats passed port to port so as to protect the steering oar.

I think it was more to do with the fact that the boats had to dock on the side without the steer board so the other side was then called The port side. ( Port side also known as larboard side from the old English lade = loading. )

Edited by Thorfast