Coal Canal Restoration - another update

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Haven't updated you all for a while, although those of you on facebook will have seen some recent pictures.

The canal is now re-excavated from Terminus Bridge to Radford Mill Farm driveway, about 2/3rd of a mile. It isn't finished by a long way, but compared to no canal it is quite impressive

16111475016_ee5302fa09_z.jpgi

Compare the shot above with the shot below

15016569096_a9a210f9a5_z.jpg

The ebove length is between Terminus bridge and Withy Mills Stop, below is the canal between Withy Mills stop and Radford Farme drive

15949826138_a7433e3229_z.jpg

15514940574_3fa55aeec8_z.jpg

The towpath still needs some work on it! We haven't actually re-watered the canal officially but it appears to be holding water after the heavy rain we've had here.

More to follow shortly

Edited by magpie patrick

A few more shots

15951497607_bb44e985af_z.jpg

Looking towards Terminus Bridge (and the terminus) from Withy Mills

15949960610_4d8e724d10_z.jpg

Looking towards Withy Mills

15949969570_a374181abd_z.jpg

The end of the immediate restoration scheme at Radford Mill Farm drive. The drive is the only access and we need a bridge, hopefully we can have that done by the 2016 Festival but it's unlikely by 2015 - we need to work on getting what we have excavated up to standard!

Athy, on the speed bit, it does help when one of the land owners has his own digger and dumper truck! We have hired in extra plant as well, but a significant amount of the labour, and all the project management, has been volunteers.

My vice-chairman is very good at getting well off people to part with money as well...

More to come - hope I'm not boring you all!

A few more shots

15951497607_bb44e985af_z.jpg

Looking towards Terminus Bridge (and the terminus) from Withy Mills

15949960610_4d8e724d10_z.jpg

Looking towards Withy Mills

15949969570_a374181abd_z.jpg

QUITE THE CONTRARY IN MY CASE.

Talking of "case", whoops, caps lock was on. I swear it has a mind of its own sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update Patrick looking good.

"There has been a further update on this forum (answering Mendip Lock's post) I need to get another one up about the festival as well but there don't seem to be enough hours in the day. I have two, arguably three, other jobs as well, the ones that pay the bills!"

This is a fantastic project and it's great to see the work going so well. Keep it coming - anyone who's bored doesn't have to click on the thread! (And they're probably on the wrong forum anyway)