Severn locks ?

colmac

Featured Posts

A question purely out of curiosity. Just walked the dog down by the Stourport basins. Whilst there a narrowboat went by heading for the narrow locks leading on to the river. I carried on with my walk so didn't see where she went although the locks are the only place she could reasonably go. The Severn has been in the red for a couple of weeks now and looks to remain that way for some time. So to my question: as the river locks are on winter opening meaning you need to arrange passage with Gloucester locks, would CRT operate the locks with the river in the red ?

The red line at Stourport is very pessimistic. I think you will find the level at Lincomb is comfortably in the amber at the moment.

As a guide look here http://www.cruisingschool.co.uk/location/river%20severn%20levels.htm

This page gives all the lock keepers numbers.

Today is a typical situation where boats will come up the river on amber but will not leave Stourport because its level is red!

Strange isn't it, you would think if the river isn't navigable that would apply for it's whole length. Watched a tree trunk whizzing by this morning and don't think I would like to take the boat on to it. Used to do that for a living and would rather do still water boating now.

There is logic in having level indicators different for upstream and downstream travel.

It's far harder to control a boat going downstream on a fast flow. Because of the need to be moving fast enough relative to the water to make the rudder effective, you can be going very quickly downstream to have steerage way.

Going upstream you may have steerage way while stationary relative to the bank if the flow is fast enough.

The fact that you may need to travel faster downstream than up by twice the river speed makes travel in that direction more risky.

This is also the reason why navigation rules say that upstream boats must give way to those going downstream in normal circumstances if either needs to give way for some reason.

A question purely out of curiosity. Just walked the dog down by the Stourport basins. Whilst there a narrowboat went by heading for the narrow locks leading on to the river. I carried on with my walk so didn't see where she went although the locks are the only place she could reasonably go. The Severn has been in the red for a couple of weeks now and looks to remain that way for some time. So to my question: as the river locks are on winter opening meaning you need to arrange passage with Gloucester locks, would CRT operate the locks with the river in the red ?

Yes they do, a friend of mine came up the river from Worcester yesterday, having been on the river (at Worcester) for around a week,

They had to met the lock keeper at Bevere as a boat was going down stream, could have been a sea going boat though.

Many years ago I came up from Worcester with a narrowboat when there was about 5ft of fresh on only took me about half an hour longer than normal

Steve

Edited by Split Pin

Is it possible to travel downstream by facing upstream and running the engine sufficiently in forwards to travel backwards slowly? Does that give you steerage?

I tried that at Osney bridge on the Thames and it was a lot more difficult than I thought, the fore end gets caught by the flow I did it in the end and found that I would not have made it without taking a bit more off the boat, went back upstream and removed the mast tabernacle then went for it at what seemed stupidly fast with a strong stream flowing and waved back at all the people shouting warnings at me.

The old boaters didn't worry about the locks when it was in flood and went over the weirs

. I have an old book on britains inland waterways were it tells you about going over the weir onto the tidal severn at gloucester, then meeting and riding the severn bore in your cabin cruiser, but does give a warning about experienced boaters only making the trip,

Is it possible to travel downstream by facing upstream and running the engine sufficiently in forwards to travel backwards slowly? Does that give you steerage?

Yes, I've read at least 2 accounts of this. One was about the old entrance to Sharpness lock (at a very odd angle to the flow) and the other was about the approach to Gloucester lock when there was a big flow on.

The old boaters didn't worry about the locks when it was in flood and went over the weirs

That was done by an employee of a local hire boat company in the early 1980's!

The day before we went down and (I think) Bevere Lock had both sets of gates open. We shot through!

Getting into Diglis was "interesting"!!

Edited by Graham Davis

Yes it is, and it allows you stop or even move back upstream (or uptide) if necessary while keeping your speed over the ground low and staying in full control . . . something which can't be done if running with the tide or current and using astern power to try to stop. It was normal practice with barges at places such as Selby and can still be seen being done around the wharves in the Trent below Keadby Bridge, Gunness wharf in particular where ships arrive with the tide still running up, swing on the ness just up from the lock and then 'drop down' to the wharf at the bridge. In the days when shipping ran to Gainsborough the procedure was the same there.

Edited by Tony Dunkley