Blocked sink outflow

Sarahr

Featured Posts

Pour a cupfull of hof garlic butter down the plug ole should make make this a more palatable experience.

The only time I ate snails was in a French restaurant in Portsmouth in 1983, where they came with garlic butter. All I could taste was the garlic butter, so I have no idea for comparison what snails on their own would have tasted like. Maybe that's just as well.

My favourite tool for clearing a blockage (in house or boat) is a 'sink plunger', a large flexible cup on a stick, available from every old-fashioned hardware store (maybe plumber's merchants and DIY stores too). Fill the sink/basin with three inches of water (insert the plug if necessary), hot water is better, cover the (unplugged) outlet with the plunger and pump vigouressly, repeat as necessary, maybe as a maintenance task.

Yes, this is what we use on the boat, very effective. Be careful if using on a sink with an overflow, you need to block it with a cloth to avoid blow-back.

Another use for these, is you can stick one on your forehead and play at Daleks.

Be careful with bleach unless you know what all of the parts are made of, it can corrode plastic or rubber seals and components.

The fish aren't too fussed with it either.

All very well disolving the snail, but what about its shell? Seriosly though, try soda crystals and hot water. Will shift grease, soap etc very effectivly. (Untried on small squishy animals, but worth a go).

Yes, this is what we use on the boat, very effective. Be careful if using on a sink with an overflow, you need to block it with a cloth to avoid blow-back.

Another use for these, is you can stick one on your forehead and play at Daleks.

The fish aren't too fussed with it either.

As the plunger end should be outwards, glue will not suffice, you'd need a better way to hold the handle in place.

Anyway, the proper Dalek dress code is that the plunger must not be worn on the head, the eyestalk goes there. More properly known as the Dalek Manipulator Arm, it should be held in the right hand...

http://www.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/dalek/weapons/

Note that among its several uses listed, there is no mention of unblocking sinks.

When the Daleks first appeared, the BBC really did use a sink plunger because the show had a very low budget.

In the school playground on the Monday, we just made do without props. I'm sure I remember several of us circling around with elbows at our side but arms extended going "Exterminate!", acutely aware that we lacked anything for the eyestalk.

Anyone wishing to make their own will find all they could want to know about the changing Dalek fashions here:

http://www.projectdalek.co.uk/files/autopsy/eye.html

It's sometimes possible to use a cupped hand the same as a plunger once the sink has water in it .. block the overflow with a flannel or something first. It may take two or three goes but I use this technique with depressing regularity in hotel rooms.

Start with a cupped hand, and then flatten it as fast as you can, go back to cupped and repeat. Each time you do that the water between your hand and the obstruction is pushed against the obstruction and may just shift it.

Firstly, have a good close look at the outlet in the sink itself.

Does there seem to be hair caught around the outlet? If so, start pulling at it it, and keep pulling it out. You may well find that you are pulling thicker and thicker lumps of hair out as you go along, until you have a pony-tail of hair sat on top of the sink.