Things WD40 doesn't do

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

I've just learned in another thread that WD40 is good for cleaning stove glass! Is there no end to this product's talents?

What should WD40 definitely not be used for? Greenie for the most outrageous/amusing answer?

Diluting Whisky

• Greenie 2

WD40 is a tiny amount of bog standard oil in a lot of solvent, its basically not much good for anything, except it evaporates quickly so you need to keep using it, a manufactures dream product. Which they make never ending claims about all the things it can do, its just marketing whaffle

Have always thought that WD stood for Water Displacement and the 40 stands for the Fortieth formulation which seemed to work.

CT

Have always thought that WD stood for Water Displacement and the 40 stands for the Fortieth formulation which seemed to work.

CT

I was always told it was a product for the aero industry water disparesent that was effective for 40 days after that it was worse than not using it

What you need for that is Rostoff.

I think that is the suff I have. It was obtained years ago by my late father in law and it's brilliant. It even managed to unseize the glass fixing screws from my Morso stove glass.

People often think WD40 is good for that but it isn't. I have had good results with Plus Gas too.

I was always told it was a product for the aero industry water disparesent that was effective for 40 days after that it was worse than not using it

Off topic speaking product origin an interesting question, where was cling film first used? you may be surprised at the answer.

You are correct in that it stands for water displacement and lasts forty days but I am also told that it's a fish oil derivative which would explain why many anglers actually spray there baits with it before casting out,it does free up seized objects and also it's great for removing silicone sealant from things after its dried, you need to let it soak in though and not just squirt it on and expect things to come loose straight away, if I have new brakes to fit I will normally soak the calipers the night before then in the morning all the nuts are easy to undoe, lastly if you use loads of it as I do you are better off going to the pound shop were its called maintenance spray and I get ten cans for the price of two cans of wd40,that's about my lot on the subject

Off topic speaking product origin an interesting question, where was cling film first used? you may be surprised at the answer.

for me it was over a pub toilet with hilarious though messy results

I think that is the suff I have. It was obtained years ago by my late father in law and it's brilliant. It even managed to unseize the glass fixing screws from my Morso stove glass.

People often think WD40 is good for that but it isn't. I have had good results with Plus Gas too.

Diesel is quite good for removing seized screws.