building own boat

xadmx

Featured Posts

20 - 25 ft is not much for a narrowboat and, it would, I think, would be very hard to make it look attractive, it is very disheartening fitting out a boat that just looks plain ugly. However that same length would look very nice, even beautiful if you built a replica Thames steam launch with a small, light inboard engine, useful, easier to make lightweight, very saleable, easily driven, and you would get lots of compliments. I would spend the winter doing lots of research. If you look at Selway Fisher designs you can see a few.

like this cool.png

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ovkj7ihvymg4ns6/AAChivqkVPD0cHyYyKGLKwqra

To give you a very very rough weight estimate 7metre (23 foot boat)

1m x 1m x 5mm of mild steel weighs just under 40 kgs

Take a base plate 7m x 2m thats 14 x 40kg = 560kgs

Take 2 x sides 7m x 2m thats 28 x 40kgs = 1120kgs

Take 1 roof (allowing doors etc) 7m x 2m = 560 kgs

Thats roughly 2240 kgs for the bare hull - no allowance made, bracing,ballast, tankage, for the taper of the bow, or the swim at the stern

Add an engine, gearbox and fit out and you will be way (weigh) over the 2.5 tonnes + 1 tonne trailer for towing

He did say he would use 4mm for the sides and 3mm for the roof so those figures are a bit out but it would still come to more than 3 tons, no question about it.

For a DIY job that doesn't have to last and needs to be trailable I'd make it with a plywood top.

I can't see it ending pretty. For a DIY job, first time building a boat, I'd be temped to make it simple, and from known plans or a copy of an existing boat. 23-25ft just isn't enough length to make a feasible metal narrowboat with an inboard diesel, as others have already mentioned. If you do make it, its likely to be not very pretty, not very well thought out, not very well put together and not worth much - much less than you've paid for all the "new" parts which would be fitted etc.

I don't think you've mentioned a budget - what was the budget?

thanks. converted from a Creative Marine Frolic 21 which is an open canopy launch, usually steam or electric, but now using a 10hp single cylinder Yanmar GM10.

trails nicely behind an Audu A6.

Waiting to go through Whitchurch lock (on the Thames) - with a convenient slipway nearby - very nice. Where she should be!

I can't see it ending pretty. For a DIY job, first time building a boat, I'd be temped to make it simple, and from known plans or a copy of an existing boat. 23-25ft just isn't enough length to make a feasible metal narrowboat with an inboard diesel, as others have already mentioned. If you do make it, its likely to be not very pretty, not very well thought out, not very well put together and not worth much - much less than you've paid for all the "new" parts which would be fitted etc.

I don't think you've mentioned a budget - what was the budget?

thats a lot of assumptions not knowing how good i am at fabrication / design.

but you ask for designs of the stern of a narrowboat, so...unsure.png

Do enlighten us as to your fabrication skills, for example your welding qualification.

It is someone signature and I will paraphrase it, the cost to buid a narrowboat is twice as much as you planned plus 10%, the time to complete twice a long as estimated plus.

We are here to help if we can and there is a lot of experience on here, whether you accept the knowledge and the advice is up to you.

Be careful of the rose tinted glasseswink.png

Just a couple of points several friends of mine are engineers and a few years ago they decide to go down the build your own barge route but in the end it worked out cheaper to get a shell made in Poland than to purchase the steel in England even without the cost of cutting and welding the polish shell was cheaper, also I have a 34 ft boat that push,s along fine with a fifteen horse honda on ,it uses very little fuel is almost silent running and as it,s in a well under the rear deck is out of sight and almost unstealable with regard to buying a thirty foot grp boat for 3-5 grand you will be right at the lower limit as 30 ft and upward is generally classed as live aboard material and prices climb quite steeply but a boat between 23. - 28 ft would probably be well achievable in that price range, one last point I would raise is if your back is so shot you can't carry a can of petrol what will happen when you move onboard and have to fetch and carry coal,logs fuel, all shopping and even carry your own poo off with all your other waste every thing on a boat gets carried on then carried off again except fuel that only travels one way ?

Edited by craftycarper

but you ask for designs of the stern of a narrowboat, so...unsure.png

Do enlighten us as to your fabrication skills, for example your welding qualification.

It is someone signature and I will paraphrase it, the cost to buid a narrowboat is twice as much as you planned plus 10%, the time to complete twice a long as estimated plus.

We are here to help if we can and there is a lot of experience on here, whether you accept the knowledge and the advice is up to you.

Be careful of the rose tinted glasseswink.png

i was after dimensions for around the prop area to give me an idea of what i need but have found them now, i have been welding for about 18 years since leaving school. i have been coded in various things over the year. and worked doing things from tacking landrover bumpers together to aerospace, body scanners, designing machines and many other things.

Just a couple of points several friends of mine are engineers and a few years ago they decide to go down the build your own barge route but in the end it worked out cheaper to get a shell made in Poland than to purchase the steel in England even without the cost of cutting and welding the polish shell was cheaper, also I have a 34 ft boat that push,s along fine with a fifteen horse honda on ,it uses very little fuel is almost silent running and as it,s in a well under the rear deck is out of sight and almost unstealable with regard to buying a thirty foot grp boat for 3-5 grand you will be right at the lower limit as 30 ft and upward is generally classed as live aboard material and prices climb quite steeply but a boat between 23. - 28 ft would probably be well achievable in that price range, one last point I would raise is if your back is so shot you can't carry a can of petrol what will happen when you move onboard and have to fetch and carry coal,logs fuel, all shopping and even carry your own poo off with all your other waste every thing on a boat gets carried on then carried off again except fuel that only travels one way ?

thats what the other half is for lol.

It's a fine dream, but I suggest you sleep on it for a month or two and you'll probably come up with a more pragmatic solution to boat ownership. Self-building is a nice idea for those who can, but as others have said, the end result is likely to be a disappointment. Nothing worse than putting all that effort into your own project and then being disillusioned after the thrill wears off because it isn't quite as pretty as many of the boats you meet on the cut. Creating a sweet looking narrowboat is actually much harder than a curvy boat because the shapes and lines are so subtle (if you get them just right). And most builders (even professionals) take a few boats before they look just right.

Edited by Murflynn

It's a fine dream, but I suggest you sleep on it for a month or two and you'll probably come up with a more pragmatic solution to boat ownership. Self-building is a nice idea for those who can, but as others have said, the end result is likely to be a disappointment. Nothing worse than putting all that effort into your own project and then being disillusioned after the thrill wears off because it isn't quite as pretty as many of the boats you meet on the cut. Creating a sweet looking narrowboat is actually much harder than a curvy boat because the shapes and lines are so subtle (if you get them just right). And most builders (even professionals) take a few boats before they look just right.

Surely beauty is in the eye of the beholder, though? I loved the first cabin boat I built as a youth, butt ugly though it was (boats must take after their owner/builders.). Sold it without problems too. I took a great deal more pleasure from the fact that we built it, than its looks.

Our first narrowboat was "home built" and despite one or two rough edges was an excellent boat.

My mate (car restorer) built a 50ft NB from scratch about 30 years ago without any plans and it still exists today. Nicely built and nice handling boat.

Suppose it depends what expectations are, but if I had the knowledge, equipment and space I would give it a go.

Surely beauty is in the eye of the beholder, though? I loved the first cabin boat I built as a youth, butt ugly though it was (boats must take after their owner/builders.). Sold it without problems too. I took a great deal more pleasure from the fact that we built it, than its looks.

Our first narrowboat was "home built" and despite one or two rough edges was an excellent boat.

My mate (car restorer) built a 50ft NB from scratch about 30 years ago without any plans and it still exists today. Nicely built and nice handling boat.

Suppose it depends what expectations are, but if I had the knowledge, equipment and space I would give it a go.

I am planning a lightweight outboard version of the frolic launch, using flat panel stitch and glue plywood. I have made 12 1/6 scale models to date and am still not quite satisfied with the result. As you say - the eye of the beholder - but a really pretty boat is usually universally admired by all. I think it's worth striving for.

I am planning a lightweight outboard version of the frolic launch, using flat panel stitch and glue plywood. I have made 12 1/6 scale models to date and am still not quite satisfied with the result. As you say - the eye of the beholder - but a really pretty boat is usually universally admired by all. I think it's worth striving for.

Seen some tidy stitch and glue boats on the net. I don't need any convincing as to the suitability of this method after the hiding we used to give a Mirror dinghy :) There is a boat that is not particularly beautiful, but what a fine forgiving boat for an idiot like me! There are many pretty sailing dinghies, but the humble Mirror with its classic "wardrobe" design got many afloat :) Loved ours. Sorry I digress.

Would be very interested to see the models if you have time to post pics of them.

i was after dimensions for around the prop area to give me an idea of what i need but have found them now, i have been welding for about 18 years since leaving school. i have been coded in various things over the year. and worked doing things from tacking landrover bumpers together to aerospace, body scanners, designing machines and many other things.

Sorted then and I wish you good luck.

ps. keep us posted, as to progress.

cheers.gif

I think its great - power to the OP.

My boat (as far as I know) was home built, was certainly a one off. It has lovely lines, is universally admired, and people often ask me who built it so that they can get hold of one! I think that the individual appeal which it obviously has comes from the 'mistakes' made by the one off builder, not necessarily through choice... Everyone has to start somewhere.

On the flip side, the electrics and plumbing are terrible, and I am slowly working through replacing them all!