Cleaning solutions

Happy Bachelor

Featured Posts

The formula for high level ventilation is all quoted in the BSS docs, which are available to download... IIRC high level door vents do not rate as highly as roof vents, and it is pretty hard to get enough ventilation throughout the boat using only them. There is also a requirement for the ventilation sources to be in each room of the boat, and in increasing amounts close to any solid fuel stove or other combusting appliances. Roof vents are not the only way, but they are by far the easiest!

My boat has four small roof hatches, each with a shoebox style lid, which can be closed completely. This is a rubbish solution in all ways, and gained us an advisory warning in our BSS. However, it leaves room for some lovely skylight boxes, which will of course have ventilation built in...

The formula for high level ventilation is all quoted in the BSS docs, which are available to download... /quote]

the formula for ventilation - - advisory -- makes three assumptions.

1. that all appliances are full on, the boat is full of people and there are no windows or doors open

2. there are no draughts anywhere, and

3. people haven't got the sense to work out when there's a need for ventilation ( stuffy, condensation, smelly )

Toilet lime scale cleaner is pretty good at shifting stubborn tarnish. Then polish with brasso to renew the shine. To retain the shine you could always give the vents a lick of clear laquer - should last a year or two before they need doing again. To remove the laquer next time a bit of paint thinner strips it off.

I soak the mushroom vents in my own urine for an hour and that brings them up a treat....

Seriously though, from reading this thread, it seems like ANYTHING will clean tarnished brass mushroom vents ready for publishing (if you can be bothered!)

Edited by blackrose

I soak the mushroom vents in my own urine for an hour and that brings them up a treat....

Seriously though, from reading this thread, it seems like ANYTHING will clean tarnished brass mushroom vents ready for publishing (if you can be bothered!)

I would be careful on your roof, peeing on your vents in this cold weather. It could be quite icy!!

Brass colour paint someone must make it.

Fire glass change for metal no more broken glass or cleaning.

I went on a boat years ago (1990} which had all the brass work painted in gold coloured hammerite. It was horrific. The boat was a 45ft all Teak gentlemans motor yot by Thorneycroft.with a seriously nice collection of brass/bronze metalwork. Portholes, stanchions, cleats etc etc.

All hammerited

Outraged I was.

and

I now have a stove with a Mica window, which does not break unlike the glass ones :)

Edited by magnetman

It would be quite easy to arrange a steel plate with say a 1 inch hole drilled in it then secure a little mica window in place with a steel washer bolted to the steel plate. Then replace the gstove glass with this item, cut to size, and you still have a little viewing window to check the fire is ok :)