My 2015 trip

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

Sadly this trip home does not include a holiday hire, my co crew member is feeling "tired". But we shall at least be staying near to a number of northern canals. Have a cottage hired for a spell in the Peak District so will again feel the buzz if only from the tow path ! The area and that of the South east of Manchester is not well known to me, so I am hoping some resident forum members may shed some light on the "Must Do " sights . Our Base will be Glossop and we intend on getting in as much as is feasible from there. Interested in scenic drives/walks pub dinners ( naturally ) and generally taking in the ambience of the area. any suggestions ?

Thanks

Bummer - just spent about 15 minutes making a list of suggestions and wooomph - all gone.

Have you considered visiting Sherwood Forest (50 miles / 1 hour from Glossop) Visit the 'Major Oak' where Robin Hood and 50 of his men hid inside,easy walking, on man-made tracks, good visitors centre and good pubs close by.

Visit Nottingham Castle.

Visit York (1 hr 22 mins from Glossop) The Jorvik centre was founded when development work was being done in York - they found Viking villages which were historically almost unique, the y continued with the development of York by building over the VIking village, but leaving underground access. The Jorvik centre has small 'trains' which run through the village which has the sights, smells, and sounds of the VIking times. You have an earpiece for a running commentary on what you see.

On the way out you get the opportunity to make your own viking coins with copies of coin dies found on site.

http://jorvik-viking-centre.co.uk/

An excellent visit if you have any interest in history.

Huge choice of other places to visit and places to eat.

A quick summary before it disappears again.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

For walking you have some excellent choices - Glossop is on the edge of the Peak District (wild moorland in the most part) The Pennine Way starts in the Peak District (at Edale) and runs for 256 miles all the way up to Kirk Yetholm in Scotland (not suggesting you do it all but the first part is a 'tough but pleasant walk' up KInder Scout onto the moors).

There are some short to long suggested walks here :

http://www.jbutler.org.uk/e2e/pw/

Glossop to Edale 29 minutes / 15 miles

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Chatsworth house Lyme Park Robinsons Brewery tour (Stockport).

Glossop ,Snake pass, Lady Bower Reservoir. Hope Valley ,Castleton ,Blue John Mines, New Mills, Bugsworth basin ,Marple, Glossop a lovely drive plenty of good pubs .

For the ladies Trafford centre or Meadowhall.

Then on the second day cool.png

Chatsworth house Lyme Park Robinsons Brewery tour (Stockport).

Glossop ,Snake pass, Lady Bower Reservoir. Hope Valley ,Castleton ,Blue John Mines, New Mills, Bugsworth basin ,Marple, Glossop a lovely drive plenty of good pubs .

For the ladies Trafford centre or Meadowhall.

Then on the second day cool.png

I too was going to suggest Chatsworth. Definitely worth a visit plus most of the Peak District towns such a Bakewell and Buxton and worth a mooch around.

Plus the national tramway museum at Crich (if you like that sort of thing)

http://www.tramway.co.uk/

ed. to correct link.

Edited by The Dog House

If you go to York pencil in more than one day.

When, as a kid, I arived in England from New ZealandI was put on the train at Southampton for Yorkshre & vanished into York for a week. No one noticed.

I was hooked by the place. The Minster is a 'must see', the medieval city is magic, do walk around the wall, and for anyone with an interest in transport history not to visit The Railway Museum is a sin.

Ed 'caus I left words out.

Edited by Taslim

I live in Glossop... and would suggest first The Oakwood on Glossop High St... Just refurbished... Good food, good beer.

Marple lock flight at juction of peak forest, macclesfield and ashton canals is 10 minutes away... Good for walks. portland Basin museum at Ashton is 15 minutes away and worth a visit. manchester is a 30 minute train ride ... Museum of Science & Industry

Is worth a morning at least, Imperial War Museum North at Salford Quays is also worth an afternoon.

Further afield Skipton and the Leeds Liverpool is an hour away... Gateway to the Yorkshire Dales... Plenty of walks and pubs. Derbyshire Peaks surrounf Glossop... hayfield and Kinder Scout are 10 minutes away... Good walks and pubs... Snake Pass leads to Ladybower reservoirs and good walks, Hathersage, Castleton, Chatsworth House, and a bit further takes you to Sheffield with Victoria Quays basin and Kelham Island Museum has the most impressive working steam engine you'll ever see.

Enjoy tour stay!

Thank you all, Some very interesting options hope I get to do it all. Did however visit the National rail museum on my last visit 2 years ago. Wonderful !! I have always been a railway Nut !

This time I plan to do the Severn Valley railway from Bridgnorth. it will be the day before the flight home.

But I have a question for anyone who lives in the Shropshire area.

Is Bridgnorth Tourist Phobic !

I have spent the last week attempting to arrange one nights accommodation in either of two hotels

http://www.goldenlionbridgnorth.co.uk/ The Golden Lion. &

http://theblackhorsebridgnorth.co.uk/ The Black horse

Neither one has condescended to reply to my E mails .( Twice to each ) Have also contacted The Bridgenorth tourist office. who initially seemed reluctant to even discuss the black horse. I realised it was not an establishment listed on their site. . They did inform me that the Golden Lion e mail address was incorrect, but having twice e mailed the revised one , I have still yet to receive a reply. Doesn't leave me with a great deal of confidence !

We live not far from Bridgnorth....well, 20 mins drive or so....if you are struggling, I'm sure we could provide a night's stay....several unique pubs close by, Merry Hill Centre on our doorstep...loads of BCN locations to look at....pm me if the idea appeals.

Dave

Interesting replies. Many suggestions horrify me - especially the patronising shopping suggestions 'for the ladies'. I can't think of a worse way to spend any time and especially not a holiday. However, I accept everyone is different.

The op seemed to want canal suggestions from Glossop. I don't know that area, ( though might know it by canal), but I imagine the Macclesfield, peak forest, maybe the caldon are within reach. All very pretty for a walk at least. Plenty of canal features and even a steam train by the caldon.

For scenic canal walking visit the area around Hazelhurst junction on the Caldon Canal. You can park at the Hollybush Inn for refreshment and explore the arms towards both Leek and Froghall.

Skipton is also well worth a visit. A classic northern market town and probably the world's best fish and chips at Busy Lizzies right by the canal. Consider a ride from here on the Settle to Carlisle railway. For canalside walking in the area drive to East Marton (on the A59) and walk North West (towards Skipton) to the top of Bank Newton locks. The long distance path, The Pennine Way, shares the towpath for a short distance here and the scenery is stunning.

For stately homes Chatsworth is definitely number 1. Hardwick Hall also very interesting.

Enjoy