Cabin roof pump out connection.

tosher

Featured Posts

Hello all, I am a newby and about to buy my first narrow boat and would be very grateful if anyone could help with the following two questions. The boat I like has a toilet holding tank with the pump out connection mounted on the cabin roof, all the other boats I have looked at seem to have them on the gunnals. Do they work ok on the cabin roof with having such a long suction down to the tank ??? Also I have read on the forum about self pump out kits, is the suction of these pumps fitted into the normal pump out point on the boat or are do they require their own separate connection directly into the holding tank ??? Any info would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Hello all, I am a newby and about to buy my first narrow boat and would be very grateful if anyone could help with the following two questions. The boat I like has a toilet holding tank with the pump out connection mounted on the cabin roof, all the other boats I have looked at seem to have them on the gunnals. Do they work ok on the cabin roof with having such a long suction down to the tank ??? Also I have read on the forum about self pump out kits, is the suction of these pumps fitted into the normal pump out point on the boat or are do they require their own separate connection directly into the holding tank ??? Any info would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Hello Tosher

My pump out connection is on the roof. Personally I think it is better up there than on the gunnels, as you can always get to it easily which ever way round the boat happens to be. (And yes I have had a boat with the outlet on the gunnels)

I also have a Lee Sanitation manual self-pump out kit, which I use occasionally when the need arises (although I would rather pay someone else to do it really). The end of the hose has an adaptor which screws on to the roof connection outlet. Only takes a few minutes to empty.

Ian

Hi Tosher

Welcome to the forum, I think your question has been answered but I do know that Alvechurch Hire boats all have their pump out connections on the roof. Now if it's good enough for them......................... :cheers:

Also I have read on the forum about self pump out kits, is the suction of these pumps fitted into the normal pump out point on the boat or are do they require their own separate connection directly into the holding tank ???

Hi Tosher,

I also have a self pump out kit and it connects to the standard pump out skin fitting (mine is on the gunwale). Having the skin fitting on the roof should still be OK for self pump out, just a little bit more exercise due to the additional 'lift' required from the pump.

Hi Tosher,

I also have a self pump out kit and it connects to the standard pump out skin fitting (mine is on the gunwale). Having the skin fitting on the roof should still be OK for self pump out, just a little bit more exercise due to the additional 'lift' required from the pump.

In theory it is only the initial lift of the liquid that needs more effort, as it drops down again there will be a syphon effect.

I know it has probably been discussed before but how do you guys rate the self pump outs. I nearly impulse bought a self pump out last year but then re-thought my logic of having to store a hose full of sh*t somewhere.

My rant on BW with respect to the overnight doubling of pump out prices ended up absolutely nowhere.

I have been tempted a few times over the years but as I don't live on my boat it is pumped out probably only three times per year (and I specified a massive tank from new). I have even priced up the tackle to do the job, always ended up with the same conclusion, is it worth the price of five years of pump-outs along with all the hastle of storage, perhaps not.

In fact that is not a bad tip for anyone buying a new boat, double size tank = half price pump-outs.

Edited by John Orentas

I know it has probably been discussed before but how do you guys rate the self pump outs. I nearly impulse bought a self pump out last year but then re-thought my logic of having to store a hose full of sh*t somewhere.

My rant on BW with respect to the overnight doubling of pump out prices ended up absolutely nowhere.

Take a look at:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6662

I always pump a good dose of canal water through the pump and hoses when I have finised then roll the hose up (it's the lay flat type). I have never had any problems with the gear smelling etc.

The other thing about pumping out yourself is that you have time to give the tank a real good flushing through. I always found that when using one of the timed pump out machines, I only had time for a quick rinse.

In theory it is only the initial lift of the liquid that needs more effort, as it drops down again there will be a syphon effect.

Assuming that its fluid thoughout, rather than fluid interspersed with air/etc.

- Doesnt work if it raises/falls more than something like 20ft eather, but thats a diffrent stroy!

Daniel

Hi Tosher,

Many thanks to everyone for your prompt and very informative replies. I'm happy now with the roof-top connection point. Tosher

We also have the pump out on the roof and have had no problems, indeed our local pump out people say they prefer it there as it is safer for them(they can reach it from the bow deck).

I have been tempted a few times over the years but as I don't live on my boat it is pumped out probably only three times per year (and I specified a massive tank from new). I have even priced up the tackle to do the job, always ended up with the same conclusion, is it worth the price of five years of pump-outs along with all the hastle of storage, perhaps not.

In fact that is not a bad tip for anyone buying a new boat, double size tank = half price pump-outs.

John, do you use "Blue" or any other chemicals in your waste tank? We have a largish tank (around 80 gallons)and find we do start to get a whiff out of the vent after about 5 or 6 weeks, regardless of how full the tank is.

As yet we have never used any chemicals.

We also have the pump out on the roof and have had no problems, indeed our local pump out people say they prefer it there as it is safer for them(they can reach it from the bow deck).

John, do you use "Blue" or any other chemicals in your waste tank? We have a largish tank (around 80 gallons)and find we do start to get a whiff out of the vent after about 5 or 6 weeks, regardless of how full the tank is.

As yet we have never used any chemicals.

Hi D & J

Yes we do use blue, about 1/2 pint after the pump-out and top it up as required every few days. The more regularly they are pumped the less problems you have with smells. Don't know your installation but I have been told that the new idea of a full size (1.5" i/d pipe) is better in this respect might be worth converting if you have the small vent pipe.

Hi D & J

Yes we do use blue, about 1/2 pint after the pump-out and top it up as required every few days. The more regularly they are pumped the less problems you have with smells. Don't know your installation but I have been told that the new idea of a full size (1.5" i/d pipe) is better in this respect might be worth converting if you have the small vent pipe.

Hi John,

Our boat is less than 2 years old. It has a macerator toilet, a carbon filter on the vent, a separate rinse out connection and the larger vent pipe. I have been reluctant to use chemicals so far but if we have another hot summer that could well change!!!!

The smell only happens as you flush the loo, but our vent is close to the front door which means the whiff sometimes comes in the cabin.

Useful for getting rid of unwanted guests but not so good when your eating.

:cheers:

Hi John,

Our boat is less than 2 years old. It has a macerator toilet, a carbon filter on the vent, a separate rinse out connection and the larger vent pipe. I have been reluctant to use chemicals so far but if we have another hot summer that could well change!!!!

The smell only happens as you flush the loo, but our vent is close to the front door which means the whiff sometimes comes in the cabin.

Useful for getting rid of unwanted guests but not so good when your eating. :cheers:

Much more high tech than mine, if the problem really bothers you, some people have fitted a cumputer fan in the vent pipe, you could wire it so it comes on with the bathroom light or extractor fan. Even move the vent outlet but thats a bit drastic.

• 11 months later...
Hello Tosher

My pump out connection is on the roof. Personally I think it is better up there than on the gunnels, as you can always get to it easily which ever way round the boat happens to be. (And yes I have had a boat with the outlet on the gunnels)

I also have a Lee Sanitation manual self-pump out kit, which I use occasionally when the need arises (although I would rather pay someone else to do it really). The end of the hose has an adaptor which screws on to the roof connection outlet. Only takes a few minutes to empty.

Ian

hi my pump out is on roof works well

hi my pump out is on roof works well

Hi "Bob the welder" Shortly after my original post I bought the boat with the punp out roof connections and it has worked fine with no problems for almost a year now. Not yet got round to a self pump out system though. Thanks anyway for your post. tosher.