Sampson Rd wharf buildings now directly at risk from an uncaring C&RT development team

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

I think they were looking at it on a very specific time frame and criteria, Sampson rd wharf is historic in canal terms for its connections with GUCC imo, EH arent always as sympathetic to 'modern' heritage as they perhaps could be.

EH were forced to look at all the history of the site not just the GUCCCo days. Desite overwhelming evidence they chose on this occasion to not list.

Whilst there may be another aspect, closing a towpath at the busiest time is nonsense, unless structural implication are involved. This work, now favours only one group of people, the cyclist, it would seem.

Whilst the bulk of cyclists respect other users of the canal towpath, there is growing minority of those who do not. Whilst such improvements will be of general benefit to all, they improve the surface for speed. And the bulk of the towpath around this section has already been improved. Why now?

The governments push for more cycling seems to be invading most transport networks and now the towpaths are becoming a target. Do cyclists contribute to upkeep save through Council Tax? That certainly does not cover the trusts properties. Create a race track, and the racers will come.

I have to say that the cycling in Bormingham seems ridiculously aggressive from some. working up the Farmers Bridge flight you have to watch your back at all times.

There is one lock in the middle where the Get Off Your Bike and Walk signs are blatantly ignored, I was sworn at for closing a gate. Then the Gas St Broad St tunnel having cyclists come through is ridiculous - one was ringing his horn constantly probably expecting us to jump in the canal to let him past, a good shoulder barge corrected that.

Something happens in the psyche when any kind of uniform is donned. Could be security guards, parking attendants, racing leathers for motorcyclists, or lycra, yellow jerseys and rainbow lensed Sunglasses. It brings out the worst in people. Yet all are drivers and walkers at other times. Only one solution - ban cycling along towpaths save those lock wheeling. Trouble is, the kids have been given the sweets - taking them away will bring howls of protest. The cut is no longer the boaters domain, but it's the boater who pays for all. Neither fair, nor right.

Something happens in the psyche when any kind of uniform is donned. Could be security guards, parking attendants, racing leathers for motorcyclists, or lycra, yellow jerseys and rainbow lensed Sunglasses. It brings out the worst in people. Yet all are drivers and walkers at other times. Only one solution - ban cycling along towpaths save those lock wheeling. Trouble is, the kids have been given the sweets - taking them away will bring howls of protest. The cut is no longer the boaters domain, but it's the boater who pays for all. Neither fair, nor right.

No, it isn't. Where do you think the central government funding (about 75% of CRT's income, as far as I can remember) comes from?

Edited by Machpoint005

Not quite sure why this stretch of towpath needs upgrading anyway, I've cycled it to get back to the car during both this and last year's BCN Challenge and had no problems.

Tom

I was curious as to need, perhaps as the work progresses, it will become clear

Ray

• 2 years later...
35 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Laurence no longer with us??

Laurence passed away unexpectedly on 03 June aged 65, but this only came to light on this Forum yesterday.

edit - there is a thread in the General section that started yesterday morning that covers the passing of Mr Hogg.

Edited by pete harrison