Warning thieves operate here

p6rob

Featured Posts

I was doing my fortnightly move yesterday, the intention was to leave Lapworth and head to Hockley Heath or Shirley Drawbridge. In the end I only got as far as Hockley Heath because of a lack of time and daylight. I'd intended stopping at Swallow Cruisers for water, coal and diesel but, unfortunately they'd already closed by the time I got there. Anyhow, I did the other necessary chores yesterday and this morning, so set off for water at about 1:00pm. Filled up at Illshaw Heath and headed on, the intention being to get to Shirley Drawbridge. I also managed to break my headlight on the first lift bridge (did the same last year when I first went through it) and dropped the second bridge onto my tiller. Oh, the joys of the inexperienced single handing lift bridges!

As I was going through Lady Lane Wharf, Earlswood a guy on one of the boats asked if I was heading to Shirley. He said "don't!" He was moored there last week and had his boat broken into. Batteries, tools, mooring stakes and just about everything else not screwed down, including his isolator key, was stolen. So, I winded and am now moored behind him on the towpath side at the wharf.

I've given him my spare isolator key and had a bit of a chat. Apparently his ropes were cut as well. He suspects, given what was taken, it was another boater that robbed him and two other boats that were there.

I'm now in a bit of a quandry. I'm moored somewhere I'd never normally choose to moor (surrounded by people), feel like I've moored a bit inconsiderately because of the width restriction and equally slightly relieved that there are other boats/people around so hopefully there's less chance of being robbed.

I'm back at work tomorrow, so won't get chance to move until next weekend. Ultimately I'm heading to Brum after the stoppages end, so, could head back through Lapworth and up the GU instead.

Should I just man up and hope that the thieves have moved on? or just stop thinking...

Rob

It would appear that you can't do much to change the situation that you are in the better.

I doubt that you could "just stop thinking" but I understand what you mean.

It must be better that you have other people around you.

Good luck, and I hope that it works out well.

Things usually do turn out better than you expect.

I was doing my fortnightly move yesterday, the intention was to leave Lapworth and head to Hockley Heath or Shirley Drawbridge. In the end I only got as far as Hockley Heath because of a lack of time and daylight. I'd intended stopping at Swallow Cruisers for water, coal and diesel but, unfortunately they'd already closed by the time I got there. Anyhow, I did the other necessary chores yesterday and this morning, so set off for water at about 1:00pm. Filled up at Illshaw Heath and headed on, the intention being to get to Shirley Drawbridge. I also managed to break my headlight on the first lift bridge (did the same last year when I first went through it) and dropped the second bridge onto my tiller. Oh, the joys of the inexperienced single handing lift bridges!

As I was going through Lady Lane Wharf, Earlswood a guy on one of the boats asked if I was heading to Shirley. He said "don't!" He was moored there last week and had his boat broken into. Batteries, tools, mooring stakes and just about everything else not screwed down, including his isolator key, was stolen. So, I winded and am now moored behind him on the towpath side at the wharf.

I've given him my spare isolator key and had a bit of a chat. Apparently his ropes were cut as well. He suspects, given what was taken, it was another boater that robbed him and two other boats that were there.

I'm now in a bit of a quandry. I'm moored somewhere I'd never normally choose to moor (surrounded by people), feel like I've moored a bit inconsiderately because of the width restriction and equally slightly relieved that there are other boats/people around so hopefully there's less chance of being robbed.

I'm back at work tomorrow, so won't get chance to move until next weekend. Ultimately I'm heading to Brum after the stoppages end, so, could head back through Lapworth and up the GU instead.

Should I just man up and hope that the thieves have moved on? or just stop thinking...

Rob

Think it pays to stop thinking, although easier said than done. My boat was broken into when I lived In Tewkesbury in 2007, pretty well everything taken. As well as that years floods the robbery was the decisive factor in coming back 'home'. To this day even though I'm in a secure mooring still worry to this day if I leave it for a few days. Its human nature I think esp when you've experienced it first hand. Sorry couldn't be morepositive for you but try and not let it rule you.

I live close by in Dickens Heath, so know the area well.

Surprised about trouble by Shirley Drawbridge, but in reality you can get things happening anywhere, our neighbours at home had a car broken into on their drive a month ago, so nowhere is immune. It could be a one off ,and perhaps if it was another boater they have left the area now anyway.

Anyway, don't worry about it being so narrow to get through at Lady Lane Wharf, it is always like that, so why not stick there until it is time to move into the centre of Birmingham. It is only 5 hours to Old Turn from where you are now, so it is an easy one hop with only the electric Shirley Drawbridge to navigate between you and Birmingham.

If you went back through Lapworth, you have (off the top of my head) 47 locks to do to get to the centre of Birmingham, so it does not make sense from where you are to go that way.

It never ceases to disappoint me the thefts from boats from obviously some other boaters. A recent example was the Anglo Welsh hire boat that went down in the Widcombe flight in Bath. Bearing in mind that the boat was stranded on its side in the lock and at various times flooded, the booze, 4 x 13 kgs of propane and 5 12v batteries were looted to name but a few bits and pieces. A dangerous exercise I would suggest, but someone thought it was worth the risk.

It's quite an odd feeling at the moment. By most measures, I've not been boating that long. It's almost two years since I bought the boat and, almost one year to the day that I left Sherborne Wharf and started cc'ing. I set off on this canal, and my first fortnight as a cc'er was moored at Pershore Road Bridge. I moved onto Shirley drawbridge and spent Christmas/New Year moored there. It took 8 months to complete my first lap of the Warwickshire Ring, then, after a three week stop in Sherborne, I headed back out but in the opposite direction. It's only taken four months for this lap and to be honest, As I'd been getting closer to Brum, I'd been really looking forward to completing this lap. I've learned a lot along the way, met some great people at a few banters, received help, helped others. Although I'm not directly affected, this is taking the shine of what has been a great experience.

I remember when I used to walk along the unlit towpaths back to the boat, late at night, thinking; is it still there, has it been broken into, has it sunk. Since then I had become a lot more relaxed about it. I guess with theft, I've always presumed it'll happen at some point, like falling in. I don't have many possessions and don't think I'm materialistic, so apart from the inconvenience, it's not like there's anything irreplaceable to worry about.

Sorry about the rambling. In the grand scheme of things it's not that big a deal.

He thought it was a theft carried out by boat because they nicked coal, batteries and a gas bottle too.

Just a thought... You've just put your boat name and position on a public forum, and hinted that you're leaving it. If you're worried about theft, this isn't wise in my opinion.

I need to leave my boat on occasions, and yes I think you're better near other boats.

Just to add, I've had a full gas bottle taken from my boat at Lapworth, some years ago, when I was away cycling for charity!!! Must have been a boater that time too I reckon.

Good luck.

I also managed to break my headlight on the first lift bridge

Hi Rob. That first lift bridge after the locks is an absolute swine. I did the same earlier this year. I was working the mechanism and looked round to see the boat drifting ever so slowly forward under the partially raised bridge. I could see what was going to happen but couldn't do anything to stop it. At least the bridge only took the light out. I had visions of the cratch board going as well.

As John said don't worry about mooring across from the permanent moorings. As long as a boat can get through that's enough, this isn't fatarse, sorry, wide beam country.

Edited by Victor Vectis

............ I also managed to break my headlight on the first lift bridge (did the same last year when I first went through it) and dropped the second bridge onto my tiller. Oh, the joys of the inexperienced single handing lift bridges!

Rob

Have a word with NaughtyCal - apparently she has the official instructions for single-handlers operating lift-bridges

Have a word with NaughtyCal - apparently she has the official instructions for single-handlers operating lift-bridges

I've heard that before, but sofar I haven't been able to find her posting with these valuable official instructions.

The search funtion doesn't know about them either.

Peter.

Received this from Solihull Canal Watch yesterday

Please be aware that on the 10/12/14 at around 18:50hrs, three males approximately 18-22 years old wearing dark hooded tracksuits, were seen using an old cabin cruiser (small GRP style) with boarded windows along the Stratford Canal between A435 and Brandwood Tunnel using it to gain access to gardens and garages along the canal.
They were pulling it along with a rope and heading towards Lyons Boatyard. The boat itself was described as White cabin cruiser maybe with a blue base with plywood coverings over the cabin and windows, the boat is believed to
be called ‘Snoopy’. The boat and males have been seen around the Earlswood and Lapworth areas during the last 12 months.
The boat and males were also spotted by the Drawbridge pub on Wednesday, and had told a boater that they were taking it to Catherine De Barnes (Grand Union Canal) to get it done up. The boat was last sighted yesterday, moored up by Neds Cottage at Lowsonford. I attended the location today along with PC Sidhu of Warwickshire Police and the boat was gone, direction unknown. Another boat moored at the location had been broken into and a laptop and electrical items stolen. Canal and River Trust Enforcement officers have also been made aware that the boat and males maybe linked to crime on the canal network.
To help Police with their enquiries, if the boat/ males are seen please call 101 to report it. In case of a crime being committed or an emergency call 999. Or contact the Canal and river trust on 03030 404040. Thank You.
In light of the above it has been reported that a boat on Lyons Boat Yard, has been broken into and thieves have ‘tried’ to take an outboard engine and a small generator from the yard.

Whilst there is, of course, always the argument that no matter where you are trouble can strike, and that it shouldn't mark a place as somewhere to be avoided, because the thieves will probably have moved on;

We had a very similar experience a few years back at Shirley.

We were returning from a trip to Stratford, and on the way down there had stopped just past Shirley Drawbridge, as it had the appearance of being a nice enough area (after many a mile of excessive graffiti along the canal that told of somewhere not to moor for the night). We sat up late having a glass or three with another boater, and retired to bed at around midnight.

Based on our experience, we decided that this was a suitable stopping point on the return journey.

That day didn't start well, as I sprained my ankle on the first lock, and spent the rest of the day steering with my foot in the mop bucket, but we made it and moored up for the night. In some pain, an early night was called for, so off to bed at 9:30. This proved to be a mistake, because at 11:30, Bev shook me and said "somebody is on board".

We turned on the lights and shouted, and I limped to the doors, to see two people running up the towpath with our stuff.

Toneau Cover, mooring spikes, windlasses, all taken from breaking into a stern locker.

Next day (Sunday) saw us take stock. Fortunately we had spare windlasses inside the boat, but we had no spare mooring stakes. The only thing that we had there was two mooring hooks, so we headed off, looking to get to a safe mooring that night. Being a Sunday, there was little hope of buying new stakes that day, so it had to be a mooring with rings or where we could deploy the hooks that we had. We had no desire to remain at Shirley for a moment longer than necessary, so at 6:30 am we were on our way.

And what an epic day it proved to be!

Rationally, or irrationally, we had been robbed on the outskirts of Birmingham, and so mooring in the centre of Birmingham wasn't even an option. Top of the Wolverhampton Flight we had heard had a reputation, so it was looking like a long day.

We made the top of Wolverhampton by mid afternoon, and pressed on. Wolverhampton Flight wasn't fun, as we were followed down by 3 guys who appeared intent on giving the impression of being about to board us.

Eventually, with darkness descending, and past 9pm we found a spot that we could moor at Brewood.

Perhaps we both had bad luck, but I won't be mooring at Shirley Drawbridge again!

When out boating if leaving my boat for any overnight trips away I book into a Marina.

Generally pay £10 a night with free electricity.

Well worth the money for some feeling of security and batteries are nicely topped up.

It never ceases to disappoint me the thefts from boats from obviously some other boaters. A recent example was the Anglo Welsh hire boat that went down in the Widcombe flight in Bath. Bearing in mind that the boat was stranded on its side in the lock and at various times flooded, the booze, 4 x 13 kgs of propane and 5 12v batteries were looted to name but a few bits and pieces. A dangerous exercise I would suggest, but someone thought it was worth the risk.

Boaters aren't the only ones who use propane gas and batteries....

As a slight aside, was it ever proved that these where "stolen" or where they removed by owners / CART to avoid possible pollution damage to the environment?

I should have thought 3 scrotes in a cabin cruiser should be easy enough to spot at this time of year when nothing much is moving.

If I'm right, there is currently a closure at lock 31, Lowsonford so they will have to turn around and come back up the Stratford and head toward Brum or get onto the GU at Lapworth. Rich pickings at this time of year with so many empty boats.

Received this from Solihull Canal Watch yesterday

Please be aware that on the 10/12/14 at around 18:50hrs, three males approximately 18-22 years old wearing dark hooded tracksuits, were seen using an old cabin cruiser (small GRP style) with boarded windows along the Stratford Canal between A435 and Brandwood Tunnel using it to gain access to gardens and garages along the canal.

They were pulling it along with a rope and heading towards Lyons Boatyard. The boat itself was described as White cabin cruiser maybe with a blue base with plywood coverings over the cabin and windows, the boat is believed to

be called ‘Snoopy’. The boat and males have been seen around the Earlswood and Lapworth areas during the last 12 months.

The boat and males were also spotted by the Drawbridge pub on Wednesday, and had told a boater that they were taking it to Catherine De Barnes (Grand Union Canal) to get it done up. The boat was last sighted yesterday, moored up by Neds Cottage at Lowsonford. I attended the location today along with PC Sidhu of Warwickshire Police and the boat was gone, direction unknown. Another boat moored at the location had been broken into and a laptop and electrical items stolen. Canal and River Trust Enforcement officers have also been made aware that the boat and males maybe linked to crime on the canal network.

To help Police with their enquiries, if the boat/ males are seen please call 101 to report it. In case of a crime being committed or an emergency call 999. Or contact the Canal and river trust on 03030 404040. Thank You.

In light of the above it has been reported that a boat on Lyons Boat Yard, has been broken into and thieves have ‘tried’ to take an outboard engine and a small generator from the yard.

Do you have a local number, either enforcement or local PC, the CRT line is as much use as a chocolate woodburner and 101 doesn;t work in less than one hour of ringing most of the time. I am up that way later in the week.

"Generally pay £10 a night with free electricity."

Yes, it's a bugger - I keep trying to get that 'free electricity' but they always want 10 Pounds for it.

"They could not have got past Atherstone and the other stoppages ..."

Braunston -> Warwick -> Kingswood -> Stratford Canal?