Blaze coal

onionbargee

Featured Posts

I've used brazier from Home bargains in an emergency. Its OK but nothing special.

After a winter long coal experiment last year, I concluded that Home fire is best.So that's what I'm using now. I reckon its become far more ashy though, which is a concern.

We can never get Anthracite to stay in overnight. We're on Brazier at the moment.....stays in well and doesn't make a lot of ash.

It doesn't like being starved of air below a certain point, and keep it well riddled, if you let it burn a little hotter than manufactured nuts overnight it will be fine, and last for ages. Personally think it outlasts and gives out more heat than any other coal, im always happy to have it, it is the most pure highest quality natural coal, there's nothing wrong with it.

A lot has to do with the stove. I burnt anthracite exclusively on an old Rayburn in the past. But that always had a strong pull on in, maybe because of the very long flue. In my boat I've had very little luck with anthracite.

I've used brazier from Home bargains in an emergency. Its OK but nothing special.

After a winter long coal experiment last year, I concluded that Home fire is best.So that's what I'm using now. I reckon its become far more ashy though, which is a concern.

We used full sized bags of Brazier mostly from Crick Garden Centre by choice last winter, but got some 10kg bags recently from Home Bargains and it looks the same but didn't burn anything like. Just cleaned my chimney today and used the last of it but it's no better, sluggish burn and little heat. As coincidence would have it I've also just picked up some 'emergency' Homefire which seems to be burning rather better, though I can't yet comment on the ash.

We used full sized bags of Brazier mostly from Crick Garden Centre by choice last winter, but got some 10kg bags recently from Home Bargains and it looks the same but didn't burn anything like. Just cleaned my chimney today and used the last of it but it's no better, sluggish burn and little heat. As coincidence would have it I've also just picked up some 'emergency' Homefire which seems to be burning rather better, though I can't yet comment on the ash.

You should ask the ladies for their opinion about burning Brazier. unsure.png

burnt a 10 kilo bag of this in one night, and was freezing, the stuff barely glows, I don't know what its made of but it ain't got much actual coal in it.

Back on the anthracite now and toasty and warm.

298366-Blaze-Smokless-Fuel-10kg1_zpsoxq7

This is the stuff sold in petrol stations around here.

Typically £12 for a 10Kg bag. Yes, 10Kg!

AMAZING value!

MtB

AMAZING value!

As an aside, solid fuel bought from Wickes in 10Kg bags would not normally be good value, but they currently have a 3 bags for the price of 2 deal on.

That means you can buy 30Kg of Homefire for £11.98, which I make equivalent to under £8 for a 20 Kg bag, or under £10 for a 25Kg bag.

I have no idea how that compares to tow path prices at the moment, but we are getting through a fair amount, and it didn't seem a bad deal.

AMAZING value!

MtB

MtB I have to say that I'm stunned at the price you quote for this! At the moment I'm paying £3.99 per bag for exactly same quantities of the same stuff from B & M's around Birmingham. Perhaps I could go get a business going, buy up a couple of tons of the stuff for,say £800 quid and sell it to your petrol station for say £1000 and they can sell it for £1200, win/win for everyonelaugh.png . Sorry, where was your petrol station?

MtB I have to say that I'm stunned at the price you quote for this! At the moment I'm paying £3.99 per bag for exactly same quantities of the same stuff from B & M's around Birmingham. Perhaps I could go get a business going, buy up a couple of tons of the stuff for,say £800 quid and sell it to your petrol station for say £1000 and they can sell it for £1200, win/win for everyonelaugh.png . Sorry, where was your petrol station?

MtB's local Petrol Station is probably only paying 500 anyway.....Higher overhead down South and you gotta make a profit!

MtB's local Petrol Station is probably only paying 500 anyway.....Higher overhead down South and you gotta make a profit!

Quite. You need to bear in mind that each petrol station site around here could have 15 flats built on it worth £350k each. They NEED to make a hefty mark-up on everything they sell or they are better off building the flats. Plenty already have and petrol stations are actually getting very thin on the ground around here compared to 20 years ago. About two out of three have thrown in the towel and built housing on the sites now, and a steady trickle of them still closing. No new ones ever open.

And they are probably buying their coal stock from your cheap petrol stations in Brum!

MtB

Plus darn south after the petrol stations have gone except for one or two BP ones next door to Wonga . com.

Then where most of the pubs are already now Restaurants, Mr accountant will look at the figures and say.

Sell as a pub not worth a lot but why not pull down and build houses at high prices .

smiley_offtopic.gif

smiley_offtopic.gif Noticed in the Midlands the move of pubs to Indian restaurants so no need for coal those curries are good central heating.

Still think this pure heat is this years winner low ash and keeps in overnight lit on 8 dec still going strong .