getting pinched in hurleston

TaffyRon

Featured Posts

I have seen Liverpool Boat Co boats which have a bulge in the middle, as you look down the side, a few inches below the gunnel. not sure why it is and if its common but its definitely not unknown and has been discussed on the forum before I think, but a long time ago.

some would say thats a god thing

God does not exist. We have done this already. its impossible. crap internet is either because of a lack of cell tower in appropriate place, someone nicking the copper cables from the base station ;) or the receiver being positioned in a steel box :rolleyes:

We tried geting through, got stuck, reversed still no luck, they told us it was because we have liverpool boats boat, anyone else had this? Want to do the golly next spring, yes theyve shaved it but not enough imo

Yes to the first bit. No to the second.

After two hours in the dark and slashing rain we got back out and did the T&M instead :D

MtB

Why does your boat being a Liverpool boat make a difference.

There is a fairly widespread acceptance that Liverpool boats were "made to a price" and that the QC was very poor.

A number of owners have reported that their boats have been "Banana" shaped and have become stuck in locks, odd ones have reported they even managed to get their money back.

Some are 'straight' but over wide, others are perfectly OK.

They had a multi-production line going and it depending who picked up which bits of steel and who did the measuring and welding as to what shape of boat you got.

If ones boat is banana shaped then depending which way it could make doing the rings easier, right bend clockwise, left bend anti clockwise .

I believe the old working boats used to spread out in the centre of the hold and in a situation like this they would use a block and tackle to pull the sides in .

By George, I think he's got it!

Presumably pronounced "Gothly"?

Nope, it would not, in Welsh the LL letter does not sound like an English TH sound. In welsh it would need to be spelt Goddly to sound as you suggest using the Welsh DD letter (as in English "The") or Welsh TH (as in "This") if it was to sound a little softer.

LL is hard to describe in English but I have seen it written like this... an aspirated 'L' which does not occur in English, sounded by placing the tongue so as to say 'l' and hissing out of one side of the mouth, e.g., "llan"

Nope, it would not, in Welsh the LL letter does not sound like an English TH sound. In welsh it would need to be spelt Goddly to sound as you suggest using the Welsh DD letter (as in English "The") or Welsh TH (as in "This") if it was to sound a little softer.

LL is hard to describe in English but I have seen it written like this... an aspirated 'L' which does not occur in English, sounded by placing the tongue so as to say 'l' and hissing out of one side of the mouth, e.g., "llan"

Rather like a "c" followed by an "l" in fact? I believe, also, that it sounds different in North Walian and South Walian accents. Years ago I had a good friend from the Cardiff suburb of Llandaff North. She and I used to use the Welsh "ll" sound jokingly in English speech, e.g. "Don't by sithly" and "weth weth weth!"

There was, I must admit, an element of intended humour in my post. I am sorry if it failed.