Narrow Boat Plan

IanM

Featured Posts

I have found some more plans, of the metal "star class" showing details of the engine room and back cabin arrangements, and an article about the building of them in The Motor Boat magazine for 1935- bought because of an article on the "tree class" Severners. I'll reproduce it, assuming it is out of copyright, when I get access to a scanner.

I thought that too, that is clearly a left handed ladder. We have the same narrowboat plan on our schools computers, I've been using it to plan the internals for our boat. I'm very grateful to whoever it was that drew it up, saved me ages!

Ian.

When i worked in schools the same drawing of motor with butiy appeared on the Techsoft 2D design software.

If this is the set I think it is you may find the sheers do not belong to the GA drawing. I have seen these reproduced and the sheers turn out to be off the wooden "Royalty" butty boats.

The shop sold the "County" class boat drawing as a "Large Woolwich" until I pointed out the 4ft 6" depth of the hull! "County" class was never built but evolved through drawing mods over the years to become the first design "Admiral" class motor.

Interesting... but the shears are marked "Star Class" and the GA drawing matches closely...

Look at the writing on the side of the welding unit. Looks back to front to me.

Nope the pic _is_ the right way round - at least the adjuster is on the correct side of my welding helmet and somewhere you can see the metric adjustable. But the left handed ladder was a problem (I'm a rightie) and I couldn't make the sky hooks stay in place properly... anyway the long weight was invaluable

• Greenie 1

Interesting... but the shears are marked "Star Class" and the GA drawing matches closely...

That reference in itself proves the drawings have been altered after being drawn up, almost certainly the set I remember. GUCCCo never referred to types by names, all were letters. The prototype pairs being classed "A" for the H&W, "H" for the Walkers and "M" for the Woods. The class names "Star" and "Town" were names used by boatmen and enthusiasts to generally separate the two main hold depth sizes

All of the drawings should have a separate "B" number on the sheet, ie B163 or similar, if these aren't present then they aren't original GUCCCo as drawn.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

• 6 years later...
On 12/12/2014 at 13:09, alan_fincher said:

I have a copy in front of me of the drawing that has almost certainly been reconstructed from.

If that is in AutoCAD, I would suggest it was redrawn from what I'm looking at here.

These have been available long, long before Laurence Hogg started marketing anything similar, and I'm pretty certain the copy I have here was purchased at Stoke Bruerne museum in the early 1970s.

It is also reproduced in the "George and the Mary" publication.

it is undoubtedly intended to be a GUCCCo "Small" boat, (so called "Star Class"), and the dimensions given on both the other two sources I have show a 4' 2" hull side depth correct for those craft.

The "George and the Mary" claims it as being a plan for the "Small Woolwich" type, (i.e. the name normally taken to mean the Harland and Wolff built, composite, boats, with metal sides, but wooden bottoms). However some of the detail is clearly wrong for such boats, particularly the very "Un-Woolwich like" stem post).

I have a feeling that somewhere I have seen the original of this drawing claimed instead to be a Walkers of Rickmansworth "Small Ricky" "Star Class" boat though, and frankly, as drawn, the stem looks more like a wooden built boat than an iron or steel one.

Of course another explanation that could make it both "Harland and Wolff", but still a wooden built boat, is if it were intended to be of one of the two prototype boats that H&W built in wood - I guess they are still "Small Woolwich" boats, although most people think of that as the composite boats, not the wooden ones.

Perhaps if it is one Laurence sells, he can put as right as to its exact origins?

7 hours ago, Duchess said:

Perhaps if it is one Laurence sells, he can put as right as to its exact origins?

Laurence is no longer on this mortal coil.

No one on here knows what has happened to his pictures and other artifacts.

Edited by Ray T

• 2 years later...

A great shame to have come across this thread so late.

Do any of the drawings of the H&W "Star Class" exist anywhere? 
I would have loved to see the CAD drawings but anything really showing layout and detail would have been of interest.

Intrigued that the drawings were part of a School CAD software package....
Anyway if anyone has anything or could point me towards I would appreciate it if only to see how mine may have looked once upon a time!

I think that I do have paper copies of the small Woolwich plans which I bought from Laurence some years ago but unfortunately I've not got around to getting them scanned as yet.  From what I recall, they were pretty poor quality.

If you are able to scan them Id love to get hold of a set as our boat was once a Star Class butty. Considering how old the original drawings would be I cant say I'm surprised that they would be poor quality, especially if they have been copied several times already!

I was intrigued that there was something in one of the early CAD? packages being used by schools that the thread seemed to think was based on the originals.

If you do find them and are willing to scan do let me know Id really love to see them and maybe purchase a copy?

Many thanks

Laurence Hogg did put quite a lot of images on his canalworld gallery 

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/profile/5000-laurence-hogg/content/

On the left hand side there is a menu with gallery and images. 

I also remember when I asked on here about recording information he said that Pinterest was a useful platform. 

I do know he was commercially interested in this subject so its quite possible that not much escaped without a fee being applied. 

I'm sure I have seen Grand Union Boat diagrams on here at some point but maybe not the constellation Boats. 

Edited by magnetman

3 hours ago, RS_Pete said:

as our boat was once a Star Class butty.

is your boat vela and if it is how is it coming on. i think somebody called sarah was on here a couple of years ago saying she was doing it up

30 minutes ago, spud said:

is your boat vela and if it is how is it coming on. i think somebody called sarah was on here a couple of years ago saying she was doing it up

Yes it is, bloody slowly, too slowly!🤣 That was Sara my wife. We'll get there hopefully.

14 hours ago, RS_Pete said:

If you are able to scan them Id love to get hold of a set as our boat was once a Star Class butty. Considering how old the original drawings would be I cant say I'm surprised that they would be poor quality, especially if they have been copied several times already!

I was intrigued that there was something in one of the early CAD? packages being used by schools that the thread seemed to think was based on the originals.

If you do find them and are willing to scan do let me know Id really love to see them and maybe purchase a copy?

Many thanks

With a lot of drawings that Laurence Hogg sold on his website, they'd been traced/re-drawn so the clarity wasn't an issue.  Certainly the Large Northwich drawings I have were however I think that the small Woolwich drawings he sent were just copies of poor quality originals.

42 minutes ago, IanM said:

With a lot of drawings that Laurence Hogg sold on his website, they'd been traced/re-drawn so the clarity wasn't an issue.  Certainly the Large Northwich drawings I have were however I think that the small Woolwich drawings he sent were just copies of poor quality originals.

To be honest I would be happy with anything if it showed something...

Methods of copying have changed dramatically over the years and often something got lost.

Digitization is not without issues either going by the number of DVD, CD's, files, photos etc I have that no longer seem accessible.

Re-drawing would have been the only option originally I suspect and certainly one of the best for refreshing fading and decaying documents.

It is shame that with his passing Canal history seems to have lost a great archivist.

While it is a shame that the small Woolwich drawings were not it would still be great to see a copy if available anywhere...

Just now, RS_Pete said:

To be honest I would be happy with anything if it showed something...

Methods of copying have changed dramatically over the years and often something got lost.

Digitization is not without issues either going by the number of DVD, CD's, files, photos etc I have that no longer seem accessible.

Re-drawing would have been the only option originally I suspect and certainly one of the best for refreshing fading and decaying documents.

It is shame that with his passing Canal history seems to have lost a great archivist.

While it is a shame that the small Woolwich drawings were not it would still be great to see a copy if available anywhere...

I'll try and take a few pictures of them when I get home this evening as that may be enough to give you an idea.

40 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Yes. They are. We have a set  of Star class butty drawings buried in our storage.

Very poor quality but good enough to work out what had been changed on our boat.

Should they ever surface I would love to see them for the same reason. (if your storage is anything like ours!.....😬)

1 minute ago, IanM said:

I'll try and take a few pictures of them when I get home this evening as that may be enough to give you an idea.

That would be fantastic, thanks.