is the increase of liveaboards sustainable, and good or bad?

TaffyRon

Featured Posts

My fear is that we'll be overrun with people looking for cheap housing. Not boaty people at all.

????? Perhaps you think that one has to have been born in a back cabin, or at least have a close relative who was, in order to qualify as a "boaty person".

While it is true that we are lucky enough to have some people on here whose connection with the waterways goes back generations, I suggest that most of us have not been "boaty people" all our lives. In our case it was taking a hire boat holiday (chosen almost at random from a number of summer holiday options) in 1994 which kindled our interest in and enthusiasm for boats and waterways. Everybody has to start somewhere, and the new CCer who doesn't start off as what you would consider to be a boaty person may well become one after living afloat for a while.

Edited by Athy
  • Greenie 1

Do you think many people who do decide to liveaboard purely due to cost rather than because they really want to actually stay aboard for long?

Even on FB groups there's lots of people willing to jack it in because it's not turned out the way they expected, and those are the ones who are brave enough to voice their disappointment.

????? Perhaps you think that one has to have been born in a back cabin, or at least have a close relative who was, in order to qualify as a "boaty person".

While it is true that we are lucky enough to have some people on here whose connection with the waterways goes back generations, I suggest that most of us have not been "boaty people" all our lives. In our case it was taking a hire boat holiday (chosen almost at random from a number of summer holiday options) in 1994 which kindled our interest in and enthusiasm for boats and waterways. Everybody has to start somewhere, and the new CCer who doesn't start off as what you would consider to be a boaty person may well become one after living afloat for a while.

On another thread some time ago I gave my definition of a true liveaboard boater.

This is someone who lives on a boat because he/she prefers it above living anywhere else, who if he/she won the lottery might buy a bigger/better/different boat but would still be found living on one. Someone who just loves being on the water and is willing to put up with almost anything to do so.

• Greenie 1

On another thread some time ago I gave my definition of a true liveaboard boater.

This is someone who lives on a boat because he/she prefers it above living anywhere else, who if he/she won the lottery might buy a bigger/better/different boat but would still be found living on one. Someone who just loves being on the water and is willing to put up with almost anything to do so.

Yes,that sums it up well John

After 42 years of living afloat I still regard boating as enjoyable,would not want any other Abode,

CT

This is someone who lives on a boat because he/she prefers it above living anywhere else

Yes, it is a good definition, though of course there are surely as many varieties of boat dwellers as there are of house dwellers. However, you have to try living on a boat to see if you're going to take to it or not, I would imagine.

Yes, it is a good definition, though of course there are surely as many varieties of boat dwellers as there are of house dwellers. However, you have to try living on a boat to see if you're going to take to it or not, I would imagine.

And living on a boat is very different to holidaying on a boat.

It needs to be said, that MOST liveaboards live in marinas. In our area, I would say that for each liveaboard boater CC-ing the area, there are about 150 living in local marinas. If you dont want liveaboards, they should limit marinas, but that would take money out of CRTs pocket.

I can see where the "not one of us" attitude comes from, but the fact is there are already loads of boat owners who are not really in love with boats and the waterways it isn't restricted to folks who live on a boat out of financial necessity. There must be hundreds if not thousands of boats tied up in marinas whose owners simply regard them as a floating second home.

With liveaboards it's a bit like the immigration issue, when you drill down into the reasons why people object to "foreigners" moving to the UK there's very little reasoned thought involved it's just a cultural knee jerk reaction and a swipe at an easy target, sadly this is something the English seem very good at.

Why should anyone really care about someone's motivation for owning a boat? Sure, it's nice to chat with a "boaty" person but you meet equally interesting people on the cut who don't know the first thing about boats or canals.

• Greenie 2

To me its a way of life maybe because I come from a long line of sea faring ancestors so its probably genetics.

If and when I win the lottery I have my designs ready for a new boat within the KISS criteria.

One has to feel sorry to those people who are trapped in the Bricks and mortar of modern 1960s onwards architect designed slums/ghettoes.

I spend a fair bit of time in marinas because of the need for visiting relatives and medical reasons .

But will be CCing from March to October next year .

I look forward to more live aboards because then the system will gain more credibility from government and hopefully more funding.

I have met many young people who have as a couple bought a cheap boat as the first rung on the housing ladder maybe in later life they will come back to boating as live aboards .

I reckon the moment anyone gets through their first winter living on board successfully, they decide that actually there's no reason to actually ever go back to land based living, paying landlords high rents, or banks 20yrs of morgages.

I'm sure if I had discovered boating 30yrs ago, I would have made the jump much sooner.

Do I have any reason to jump back to land...no...only if I win the lotto and can buy a home without the noose. People think they are secure with a house, but lose your job, cant pay the bank...bye bye house.

Were I given full house purchase capital.. nowadays I would probably buy a yacht and up the frequency of my sailing lessons. Living on a boat certainly costs me more money (mostly due to commuting / hotel stays for clients) but I got to spend the last 2 summers buggering about on the Thames and will be CCing the Northwest / Wales / over the Pennines next year. It's very much worth the few inconveniences you have in a reasonably equipped boat.

A lot of people do seem have a romantic desire to live on a boat, but the practicalities of their day to day lives means this very rarely happens.

Edited by oarfish

I'm one half of a young couple who bought a boat with our only experience being a 1 day handling course. It was very much a cheap housing solution for us but had other benefits too (our work may require us to go all over the country so we are not pinned down by bricks). Both being on low incomes we could never get a mortgage. It just so happens that we love boating and everything about it, but we wouldn't have known unless we jumped in with both feet.

More people moving onto boats just means more people moving off boats later (and potentially more opportunities for us to snap up a better boat at a good price!) Also more funding and awareness for and of the canals is always a good thing.

...unless its on two wheels! but that's another story.

• Greenie 1

I'm one half of a young couple who bought a boat with our only experience being a 1 day handling course. It was very much a cheap housing solution for us but had other benefits too (our work may require us to go all over the country so we are not pinned down by bricks). Both being on low incomes we could never get a mortgage. It just so happens that we love boating and everything about it, but we wouldn't have known unless we jumped in with both feet.

More people moving onto boats just means more people moving off boats later (and potentially more opportunities for us to snap up a better boat at a good price!) Also more funding and awareness for and of the canals is always a good thing.

Nice story- Glad to hear things have worked well and you found a love of Boating. Have a greenie

You sound like you're going to be proper boaters. Good job. Hope it's as fun for you as it is for us!

Thats me captain.gif

Peter

London may be packed to bursting point but around Stoke it's mainly empty on the cut apart from the odd area , I personally think a few more people around would make it a safer place to leave your boats unattended

I trust all boaters but you dont know who else is on the towpath, we have left our boat "open" ie covering the padlock with a towel to make it look like we are in

When I was first considering living aboard, I asked about costs on a couple of forums and was very firmly told by people that it isn't cheaper than living on land. I think people thought that cost was my reason for moving. It isn't. The main reason is community - there seems a real community amongst boating people and as a single person, who sometimes can feel quite lonely, I am really relishing being a part of that community and living on a friendly mooring surrounded by friendly boaters (fingers crossed!)

I also heard that male boaters outnumber women 100 to 1! Where else do you get that ratio?

I also just love boats and water, having grown up by the Leeds Liverpool.

Quite curious actually to see how costs go, as I'll be leaving a house in Yorkshire for a boat in London!

• Greenie 1