Morso Squirrel Costs

sleigh

Featured Posts

I expect the above is about as cheap as you will get it. However, unless you are particularly sold on a Morso Squirrel there is an alternative I can recommend.

We used to have a Squirrel on our 50ft narrowboat but found it too hot even when we restricted the firebed with a couple of bricks. This meant running the stove quite cool which can mean other issues such as tar forming in the chimney.

So when the stove need some attention and repair we decided to go for a new stove and something a little smaller we could run hotter normally. What we ended up fitting is a Hobbit stove from Salamander Stoves. It is very similar to a Squirrel in design and is cast iron as well. Details can be found on the website below. It is also a British company based in Devon. It has been very good on the boat and still more than adequate to heat the boat at 4Kw output.

http://www.salamanderstoves.com/

We liked the stove so much when it came to choosing one for fitting in the house we recently moved into in the two front room fire places we bought two more and they have been just as good at home. I have no connection to the company just a customer.

The last time I looked you could get them for around £450 although we got a better deal on that price buying two last time.

Edited by churchward

I expect the above is about as cheap as you will get it. However, unless you are particularly sold on a Morso Squirrel there is an alternative I can recommend.

We used to have a Squirrel on our 50ft narrowboat but found it too hot even when we restricted the firebed with a couple of bricks. This meant running the stove quite cool which can mean other issues such as tar forming in the chimney.

So when the stove need some attention and repair we decided to go for a new stove and something a little smaller we could run hotter normally. What we ended up fitting is a Hobbit stove from Salamander Stoves. It is very similar to a Squirrel in design and is cast iron as well. Details can be found on the website belowdecks. It is also a British company based in Devon. It has been very good on the boat and still more than adequate to heat the boat at 4Kw output.

We liked the stove so much when it came to choosing one for fitting in the house we recently moved into in the two front room fire places we bought two more and they have been just as good at home. I have no connection to the company just a customer.

The last time I looked you could get them for around £450 although we got a better deal on that price buying two last time.[/quote ]

I agree the Morso are the best we had one in our first 45 foot Narrowboat it's was to hot even running with fire bricks in we have a Stockton 3 storax in ours 57 foot now which times that's get to hot because stove is in the middle off the boat. We also have morso squirrel at home which heats a 3 bedroom old house with big rooms very rare put central heating on just leave the squirrel ticking over so I would say go for smaller stove you can run hotter your glass will keep cleaner

Having had more stoves than I care to remember I wouldn't fit a morso again.

having had to change one cos it fell apart it was replaced with a Charmwood Country 4, this is without doubt the best stove I have had.

So good that when we bought the cottage we fitted a Country 6 and a Country 4 in the two rooms.

On the boat we have a hobbit which is also good.

I can't understand how morso have the reputation they do...........

Hi,

Re

It is also a British company based in Devon. It has been very good on the boat and still more than adequate to heat the boat at 4Kw output.

The above stoves are made in China!

If you want a British boat stove go

http://www.boatmanstove.co.uk/

Ray

I don't know where all the components are made but as I said the company is British. I have been to the owners house to collect the stove we put on the boat. I think originally the castings were also made in Britian but they may have got too expensive.

True enough the Boatman stove is also a British company. We nearly bought one of those,

Having had more stoves than I care to remember I wouldn't fit a morso again.

having had to change one cos it fell apart it was replaced with a Charmwood Country 4, this is without doubt the best stove I have had.

So good that when we bought the cottage we fitted a Country 6 and a Country 4 in the two rooms.

On the boat we have a hobbit which is also good.

I can't understand how morso have the reputation they do...........

PLUS ONE

I certainly wouldn't buy a cast iron stove for boat use. I bought a Woodwarm stove. Made in Devon and really well built. Mine on it's 3 winter and so far no signs of use on the internal components. Should get another 2 years at least out of the door rope.

As said the Charnwood country 4 is good and I like Dunsley stoves too. A bit old fashioned but well made.

see www.whatstove.co.uk for owner reviews.

Jamescheers.gif

This one?

£851.00 NOW: £739.00

Save 16%

Ask a question (2)

The smallest model in the Charnwood range the country 4 defra approved stove still incorporates the ingenious features of larger stoves.It is a neat, sturdy, yet graceful little fire with a rated heat output of 4kW. With its large glass the Country 4 shows has one of the largest view windows for ...

Read more

• Output: 4.8kW
  • Fuel Type: Multi Fuel
  • Construction: Steel

different people, different stoves, different stories.

Morsø 1430, five years old, run six months of the year, no problems.

Indeed. The Morso we removed was over 15 years old when it needed repair. It wasn't the longevity of the stove that made us change but the heat output even when the fire base was restricted was too much for our 50ft boat and made us run it far too cool.

If you're putting it in a corner, the Bubble solid fuel corner stove is well worth a look. It tucks into a corner beautifully and I'm really impressed with the performance of the one that came with our boat. 4kw at about £580 from Haworth Heating, who also do Aarrow which I have in 7kw wood burner format at home and that's good too.