The weather bomb!

blackrose

Featured Posts

This page looks pretty, even if I don't understand a word of it:-

http://artikkel.yr.no/her-kommer-stormen-1.12090209

Here's a Google translation of the main text:-

"The wind howling around the house corners and throwing loose objects through the air. It is not easy to see the system in the madness when the storm rages .

Tuesday night and Wednesday night coming winter storm to large parts of southern Norway. In the animation above you can take a trip into space - and perhaps understand more of what is happening.
Therefore storms it from south

On wind map you see the huge low pressure system moves from Greenland to Norway . Wind around low pressure circulates counterclockwise and makes the wind blows strongly from the south.

South wind hits right on the coast of southern and eastern and enters the Oslo Fjord. Also in the interior can be powerful gusts . In Western Norway stroking wind however along the coast and therefore not so much wind into the country.

Much wind, rain and blowing snow ? See warnings from meteorologists here!

Here you can see all the world's winds

The animation above shows only a small part of an amazing global wind maps earth.nullschool.net made ​​by web developer Cameron Beccario . The website is among Yr- editorial 's favorites and is worth a prolonged virtual stay.

Drag around the globe and see how winds and low pressures meanders off . They rotate counterclockwise north of the equator and clockwise south of the equator .

And maybe it is so powerful it low pressure just today located right outside Norway ? See and reviewing!

Wind map will be updated every three hours and is based on weather forecasts from the public American meteorological agency NOAA ."

Well seeing that all of the shipping forecast areas for the far North are giving warnings for a sea state "phenomenal". I'll be thinking of all poor sailors at sea in that

yes spare a thought for those guys n girls who are out there. Just spent the last few days working with a Weather Routing Service to make sure the ships I am looking after from my dry office at moment are safe from all that

The worst of the weather isn't due until a bit later today. Last night was just a bit of a taster!

It was pretty windy in Sheffield last night but nothing out of the ordinary for this time of year. Now ready for the next batch.

ETA: The weather forecast for Friday looks interesting.

Still waiting for anything close to as windy as last December. Fingers crossed.

I may be slightly out here, but IIRC, a weather b*mb is defined as a deep depression, with very high upper winds blowing across the top of it. This causes a 'suction' out of the top of the rotating low pressure system, which then intensifies its rotation and reduction in pressure at the centre. They are rather rare, always serious and largely forecast only a short time before it happens, if forecast at all.

A real bugger at sea. Fastnet 1979 I think was a bomb.

It's been and gone......it was never forecast to be much of a problem for England but Northern Scotland took a bit of a hit. The real bad area was the seas to the north and west, from what I can gather shipping in the area wisely fled to shelter

eta AFIK the jet stream is still looping southwards over the UK, if it stays there, we may be in for an interesting time

Edited by John V

It's the usual story from a London point of view: a big winter storm off the Atlantic hits Scotland, the papers talk vaguely about it coming to the UK, and down here it's just a bit more wet and windy than normal for December. The tarp even stayed on my shed last night, I'm getting better at securing it.

It certainly sounds as if people up there in the Hebrides would have a different view of it.

Then of course when a big storm did hit us in 1987, from South London down to the coast (I lost a few roof tiles), the Met Office famously underestimated it. To be fair to poor old Michael Fish, data from out at sea probably wasn't as good then, and they also thought that one was heading more towards France than to SE England.

weather bomb is an imported from USA term, I'm just glad we havn't had their latest one yet...."Pineapple Express" storm!!!!

But now we have and it's all your fault!

The local paper (Aberdeen) says "A Met Office yellow warning for snow and ice" has been issued for the area. Do we really need to fund the Met Office to give us such ridiculous warnings? Surely everyone knows to avoid the yellow snow and ice?

smile.png