What is this? (Its on a 22m dutch barge in Holland)

magnetman

Featured Posts

I think it might be a system which deals with 'grey' and 'black' water and somehow makes them okay to pump overboard, but I don't really see how

The pipes look very large bore yet the boat is only 22x4.3 metres which is about 72x14ft so its not a ship :unsure:

The clue is on the boat information dets.....

Drinkwatertank(s) / Fresh watertank(s) / Trinkwassertank(s)

RVS 600 ltr incl. desinfecteersysteem

Disinfection water system

So does that take canal water, clean it and push it out of the taps, or does it take grey and black water from onboard facilities, clean it and pump it overboard? I think its probably the latter because the bore of the large pipe looks a bit like that of a standard domestic lavatory outlet.

So is it just a holding tank ?

Just seems a bit small.

Oh, is it a transfer tank for a boat which is moored and permanently connected to the sewers via a flexible hose? sort of like a top of the range self pumpout system. That makes sense, almost useless for a cruising boat though if thats what it is.

I have seen some barges which are connected directly and did wonder how the system worked. I suppose its like a big version of a shower sump drain system where you use a bilge pump in a box with a float switch in it.

So is it just a holding tank ?

Just seems a bit small.

Oh, is it a transfer tank for a boat which is moored and permanently connected to the sewers via a flexible hose? sort of like a top of the range self pumpout system. That makes sense, almost useless for a cruising boat though if thats what it is.

I have seen some barges which are connected directly and did wonder how the system worked. I suppose its like a big version of a shower sump drain system where you use a bilge pump in a box with a float switch in it.

Your absolutely right

Many boat/barges that are used as houseboats, and have official moorings are often connected to shore-water, shore-power, shore-telephone, shore-gas and shore sewer-connections.

If you buy a boat like that, you have to calculate that there will be quite some additional monies to be invested in adapting the boat for cruising and independence.

This one looks in pretty good nick, and has a recent engine, and the electrics look pretty good too, but a lot of her high price is due to her having this mooring, which is of no use to anyone who wants to remove the barge from there, and that may give a very good possibility for a fairly big price reduction.

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

Good advice :)

I'm not remotely considering buying this boat and I don't actually want a dutch barge because of interior space and access issues compared to a more modern boat like the one I have. I just have a habit of looking at pictures of advertised boats out of interest and for ideas about the way people do things and this thread was a result of that interest

Good advice smile.png

I'm not remotely considering buying this boat and I don't actually want a dutch barge because of interior space and access issues compared to a more modern boat like the one I have. I just have a habit of looking at pictures of advertised boats out of interest and for ideas about the way people do things and this thread was a result of that interest

I'm much the same, always looking at boats and barges which helps me dreaming.

Is your boat built by Pinder ?

Peter.