Boat Insurance

Mark & Michelle

Featured Posts

We insured with Navigators and General for a long time and found their cover to be very good.

We now insure with Allianz as part of a group deal and their cover is exceptional, not much it isnt insured for to be honest. This years policy worked out at £180 fully comp for an insured value of £42k with UK inland and coastal cover and EU waters cover.

ETA: The above includes legal expenses cover and Sea Start breakdown cover.

Edited by Naughty Cal

Navigators & General for me. This is my first year of boat ownership. They include basic River Canal Rescue, or if you want greater RCR cover, you can get a discounted rate.

Will get a quote from Craftinsure next year. Its important to have confidence that they trat claims fairly.

It would be interesting to hear others experiences of which companies are fair in the event of a claim and which are not.

>> It would be interesting to hear others experiences of which companies are fair in the event of a claim and which are not.<<

I've a feeling that might depend quite a lot on individual cases and the nature of the claim. A 'good' claim has a better chance of success regardless of insurer, and a complicated claim will always take longer to settle.

Towergate have a very good reputation and I believe their narrowboat section was actually created by a boater However the company has got very big and I read they are now subject to possible takeovers and the usual capitalist money leaching processes so not sure how they will be in the future.

Still most familiar named insurance companies are only smaller cogs in the bigger insurance system.

.............Dave

I use Haven Knox Johnston (Boatinsure?) and Nautical Insurance Services. Neither seem concerned by the age of the boats but I have been with Haven for 19 years and Nautical for 10 years and each boat was less than 20 years old (10 and 19 respectively) when I first insured them. As with any insurance an assessor may conduct a post incident survey and reduce or refuse the claim.

I have not had to claim. Haven are more proactive i.e. calling me on my mobile 'phone when I ignore their renewal notices and emailing advice such as 'winterising' and 'We will look after you and your boat' after major flooding.

If I could find an insurer that reminds me by email or text and allows online renewal I would be happy; apparently Boatinsure do this.

Alan

I pay about £200 through Towergate for Platinum level insurance with RCR. I could have got it a bit cheaper but Towergate are my truck insurance broker and I've always been impressed with the service so I didn't necessarily look for the cheapest deal. The truck costs £4,000 a year to insure so £20 off of the cost of insuring the boat through an unknown quantity was fairly meaningless.

Craftinsure for me too.

I was unfortunate enough to need to claim a couple of years ago and they were brilliant.

And for me too - efficient and friendly, and not spooked when I said I wanted to take the boat across the Wash next year ... (for an extra fee, and with a pilot on board of course).

I just went to the Craftinsure website, and put our boat details in.

You have to agree that the boat will have a valid CRT or equivalent licence, so that counts us out, as we moor on private water and only get a licence if we need it.

They are only £10 a year cheaper than our present insurers, Westfield, anyway.

I just went to the Craftinsure website, and put our boat details in.

You have to agree that the boat will have a valid CRT or equivalent licence, so that counts us out, as we moor on private water and only get a licence if we need it.

They are only £10 a year cheaper than our present insurers, Westfield, anyway.

We've been with Craftinsure for years, most of which has been out of UK waters. Just tell them where in mainland Europe you will be cruising and they add a bit extra to cover.

• 1 month later...

May I suggest reading this blog about issues with an insurer - it is not always about the cost in my view - http://www.nb-kelly-louise.com. Don't worry about any of the blog dated on or after 3-December but the ones before that should be of interest to all IMHO.

This update to the blog names the insurer (Craftinsure) and how they used the small print to adjust (downwards) his claim.

Always remember that its how the Company treats you when you need them that matters.

More than your premium cost matters.

Better to pay a few pound more to a company that performs when needed?

I wonder how many of the original poster would maintain their original opinion of their insurer after reading the information in the links in posts 9 and 20. It appears to me that Craft Insure (Navigators & General) appear to have screwed the boater nicely.

I may be a cynic but my belief is the insurer is there to take your money and give it to their shareholders. The absolutely last thing they want to do is give it back to you if they can possibly avoid it!

Well my insurance is with Collidge and Partners but this is underwritten by Navigators and General, so I will be checking today what cover I have in respect of the nb Kelly Louise story. I specified that I wanted full repair, but I will now be reading the small print and speaking to them directly. My insurance is nearly 500 pounds so it had better be ok or I will be going elsewhere.

"I may be a cynic but my belief is the insurer is there to take your money and give it to their shareholders. The absolutely last thing they want to do is give it back to you if they can possibly avoid it!"

Spot on.

We have an expensive insurance company in Finland that must have spent billions on TV adverts telling/brainwashing us to insure with them and "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing" they sing annoyingly in English (this is Finland) to show how 'hip and cool' they are. I would say I hate them and I hate that song - but, as the Grinch says, "loathe entirely" may be a better term ;)

I would Be Really Worried that the first thing to happen is the insurance company tries wriggling out of their responsibilities as soon as they see your claim!!!

We are with Collidge as they are whom the boat was with when we got it, seemed polite and prompt on the phone and with e-mails.
150 Pounds/year for 40-footer.

The best insurance, of course, is to be careful. Check everything twice, and then once more.