What a Gentleman is Eating Today

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

Yes, I know about mealy and waxy potatoes - I was just quoting from TALWLTK, when 'mealy' appears to have a different meaning.

Actually, I'm a bit of a tattie freak, growing 14 different kinds, including varieties red and blue inside. I once made 'patriotic pie' using red, white and blue varieties. However, the Union Flag proved too complicated, so it turned out French. smile.png

Did you say "a bit" of a tatty freak?

Today is Shrove Tuesday. And as 1885, the publication year of 'Things a Lady Would Like to Know', had the same calendar as this year, the menu for today includes pancakes! Rather more luxurious than the snow pancakes I trialled earlier in this thread, and anyway the snow has gone now:

nE2R4Uq.jpg

Taking the instruction literally and trying to translate into modern English, I am wondering if "Frying" (assume it means without fat or oil having wiped the pan clean) for FIVE minutes in a "tolerably" hot pan ................ could be a problem. Perhaps "tolerably hot" means, not very hot at all? If not, I am imagining the smell of burnt batter!