Steve Hudson

nicknorman

Featured Posts

When I 'pop me sox' sad it will be for my close family and friends, presumably, I like to think that loads and loads of sarcastic comments are made before,during and after I am cremated and scattered.

There may be those that witness these acts of affection that feel it's worth commenting that they are inappropriate and crass,but that's their view,which they are entitled to have.

I have admired Hudson boats from afar and maybe I could own one in the future,maybe not, I feel for his family,friends and employees at this difficult time, but let's not loose our sense of humour.

Both my parents died suddenly when in their early 50's when I was in my mid twenties. A very sad and prolonged difficult time, but believe me there were loads of open minded humour being bounded about.

Martyn.

When I 'pop me sox' sad it will be for my close family and friends, presumably, I like to think that loads and loads of sarcastic comments are made before,during and after I am cremated and scattered.

There may be those that witness these acts of affection that feel it's worth commenting that they are inappropriate and crass,but that's their view,which they are entitled to have.

I have admired Hudson boats from afar and maybe I could own one in the future,maybe not, I feel for his family,friends and employees at this difficult time, but let's not loose our sense of humour.

Both my parents died suddenly when in their early 50's when I was in my mid twenties. A very sad and prolonged difficult time, but believe me there were loads of open minded humour being bounded about.

Martyn.

Surely the prime consideration should be whether such comments cause offence, especially to the family? If you are confident that Dianne and her 3 daughters will find such comments to be a jolly jape, then that is fine. But until you are sure of that ground I suggest restraint should be shown. Knowing them as I do, I very much doubt that such humour will be appreciated at this time, especially coming from strangers and published on a public forum.

• Greenie 2

Cor Blimey!

If only SMH could have read all this before he died! Whilst I am sure that he died a happy enough proud geezah, he would surely have liked to have read this thread!

I'm only sorry that he didn't get to hear the many praises of his work, from this forum, that have appeared after his unfortunate final whistle.

I can't help thinking, though, that those who have 'work in progress' at Glascote Basin, shouldn't worry too much. If the rest of his workforce are like him, then work will carry on after a suitable pause.

I don’t think it would be out of place to relate one of many great memories of Steve here.

Several years ago I took my elderly parents to the Crick Show on the Bank Holiday Monday.

We had just got into the ground shortly after the show opened for the day when the public announcement was made that the show was being closed on health & safety grounds due to the very high winds… The look of disappointment on my parents’ faces said everything!

As we slowly made our way back to the disabled parking area we passed Steve’s two land based exhibits just as he was closing the bow doors and judging by the look on his face he wasn’t best pleased about the announcement either… And who would be after all that effort?

Seeing an opportunity I quickly nipped up the steps and had a quick word where I explained that we’d travelled a fair distance and before I had even finished what I wanted to say he was opening up the cabin doors again whilst nodding down to my parents to come up and have a good look around before helping them up the steps and explaining to them that he would have to close the cabin doors behind them due to there now being a liability issue if he let members of the public on and anything, however unlikely, were to happen.

After helping them into the boat they were then told to take as much time as they liked whilst he attended to other things elsewhere and added with a wry smile that he would check they weren’t still aboard when it came to craning the boat back onto the wagon.

All in all, it transformed their day from a tiresome waste of time to feeling like they had experienced the red carpet treatment.

I think that pretty much says it all, a true gentleman.

Edited by The Anonymous Bard

Surely the prime consideration should be whether such comments cause offence, especially to the family? If you are confident that Dianne and her 3 daughters will find such comments to be a jolly jape, then that is fine. But until you are sure of that ground I suggest restraint should be shown. Knowing them as I do, I very much doubt that such humour will be appreciated at this time, especially coming from strangers and published on a public forum.

I genuinely think you are over-reacting.

What I posted was.....

Possibly although the flag takes its inspiration from the real thing, it is not a fully accurate representation of the original article?

My post says nothing whatsoever disrespectful about the man, the manner of his shocking passing, or his undeniably successful business.

Curiously others have been able to refer to "Marmite" boats, or say they are not to their, or other people's tastes, and that seems to be fine, (apparently), whereas alluding to what I thought we had been told the man himself had said about the boats, (that they are inspired by certain old boats, but not intended to be an exact replica of them), has caused some people to have a major grump.

I can only agree with Ally's suggestion that some people are actively looking for something to offend them - certainly not my intention.

I genuinely think you are over-reacting. What I posted was..... My post says nothing whatsoever disrespectful about the man, the manner of his shocking passing, or his undeniably successful business.

But it is however using the opportunity of his death to make yet another jibe on one of your favourite subjects. A cheap shot resulting in you going down in my estimation.

• Greenie 1

Curiously others have been able to refer to "Marmite" boats, or say they are not to their, or other people's tastes, and that seems to be fine, (apparently), whereas alluding to what I thought we had been told the man himself had said about the boats, (that they are inspired by certain old boats, but not intended to be an exact replica of them), has caused some people to have a major grump.

Commenting on "marmite boats" etc is a statement of fact, at least in the context of this forum. It is not seeing an opportunity to make an (inappropriate, IMO) joke out of a time of great distress for the family. I say "in the context of this forum" because a couple of non-forum owners have asked me what I meant in my OP about Hudson-bashing, having been alert d to the thread by the unofficial owners club email group. They cruise around the waterways of the UK and receive nothing but compliments about the looks of their boats (as do we) so don't understand the dark and sad world of CWDF where anything nice is fair game for a slagging just on principle.

• Greenie 2

I can only agree with Ally's suggestion that some people are actively looking for something to offend them - certainly not my intention.

The comment, standing on it's own, looks insensitive. After all, you added nothing else previously or after so that comment stands in bold relief.

Edited by mark99

This very sad news has just reached us, in Spain for the winter. Some of the unnecessary posts are why I rarely post on this forum.

We took delivery of our boat Tanya No9 from Steve at the end of the last Braunston Boat show in 1999 and spent 5 very happy years living aboard her. We took her to the open day each year until we sold her in 2003 which we have regretted ever since.

We always had the highest regard for Steve's professional approach and considered him to be a friend.

Rest in peace Steve, you will be missed.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to express my sadness at hearing of Steve's untimely death, and pass on my condolances to his wife Dianne and his daughters. I all too briefly knew Steve and Dianne, when he was building my narrowboat Nereus some 4 years ago. His help and advice during this time was brilliant, as was the standard of workmanship I saw on my numerous visits to Glascote, during the build.

Steve was a genuine nice man, good bloke, and a real professional, his boats will be a lasting tribute to him.