Steve Hudson

nicknorman

Featured Posts

I think, despite the good humoured comments about the appearance of his boats, none of his detractors have ever disputed the quality of his engineering nor the contribution to the waterways Steve Hudson has made.

It is also notable that he has never felt the need to defend his product himself, when a small army of satisfied Hudson owners have always queued up to do it for him.

His death, is as significant to the canalworld, as Lord Attenborough,s was to the acting proffession. His legacy is his boats cruising the canals, still turning heads. I am the proud owner of Arcady built in 2003. Purchased in 2012 from the first owner.

It has become even more precious. R I P

• Greenie 1

Anyone remember the Hudson unofficial boat listing/register (it may have been called something else) - a selection of photographs of dozens of Hudsons.

That was a great little archive - shame it went offline.

Anyone remember the Hudson unofficial boat listing/register (it may have been called something else) - a selection of photographs of dozens of Hudsons.

That was a great little archive - shame it went offline.

Yes if you mean those by the Anonymous Bard? Unfortunately the couple who put it all together split up, and the material was taken off line shortly afterwards. As you say, a shame because it was a great collection of photos.

The man in his element:

Although it was of course only his career, not his whole life. I think his real "element" was when he was on his motorbikes. The yard closes down for 2 weeks in July the day after the open day. Steve and Dianne would typically surface rather late from the party the night before (the open days were just one weekend-long party really!), hop on Steve's bike and set off into the wide blue yonder with just a couple of panniers of belongings. And not just a tootle round Englandshire - recently they went on a long trip to the top of Norway. And a couple of years ago he went on a great off-road biking trip around Vietnam and Cambodia. I was jealous!

So a multi-faceted guy and I suspect biker first, boater second. But most importantly for us, underneath his superficial gruffness, an honourable gentleman with a heart of gold.

• Greenie 2

His death, is as significant to the canalworld, as Lord Attenborough,s was to the acting proffession. His legacy is his boats cruising the canals, still turning heads.

You express your feelings most eloquently, my dear Watson. Obviously he and his boats mean a lot to you.

I just wonder what he would have said about being compared with that arch-Luvvy.

I just wonder what he would have said about being compared with that arch-Luvvy.

I don't wonder, I know what he would have said. But I'm certain that the mods would censor my version of Steve's reply so we'll just have to guess.

Both Chrissie and myself are shocked at this sad news, as Steve Hudson appeared to be one of life's indestructable characters!

Whatever anyone thinks of SM Hudson boats, and the fact that people can be so passionate about them speaks volumes, he was an icon in the canal boat building world, everyone knew his name, and he developed a style that is so distinctive you know if one is coming towards from half a mile away. His successful business model also fed other businesses too - not least people like me who often end up brokering some of them in the used boat market, right down to every canal side business that supplied the owners of the boats he built with everything from diesel, coal to beer and food. I salute anyone who can run a successful small business - they are the backbone of this island’s economy. We need people like Steve.

And he loved Harley Davidsons as well. Good bloke! RIP.

• Greenie 4

I have not been on this forum since November 15th last year after a disagreement with another forum member. I have decided to post here as I was a Hudson owner when I was a narrowboater.

The build quality was fantastic. I loved the shape of the pointy end it wasnt supposed to mimic any particular old boat it just looked great to those of us who liked it.

Steve knew his job and was an asset to the waterways. This is very very sad news.

The above ( Joke ) if thats what it is reinforces my decision to stop posting over a year ago.

Regards

Tim

Like to second Tim's view on this one since I'm typing this comment on that actual boat. Top whack. Solid as a rock. Warm in winter, cool in summer, glides through the water, and even goes backwards in a straight line with luck and the wind in the right place. He wasn't cheap but what he did lasts. Neil

Although it was of course only his career, not his whole life. I think his real "element" was when he was on his motorbikes. The yard closes down for 2 weeks in July the day after the open day. Steve and Dianne would typically surface rather late from the party the night before (the open days were just one weekend-long party really!), hop on Steve's bike and set off into the wide blue yonder with just a couple of panniers of belongings. And not just a tootle round Englandshire - recently they went on a long trip to the top of Norway. And a couple of years ago he went on a great off-road biking trip around Vietnam and Cambodia. I was jealous!So a multi-faceted guy and I suspect biker first, boater second. But most importantly for us, underneath his superficial gruffness, an honourable gentleman with a heart of gold.

I suspect his passion for motorbikes was preeceded by a similar deep passion for traditional narrowboats. No one could have put so much into a business without it.

Very sad, to have passed into history so young is terrible. My condolences to his family.

There is without a shadow of doubt that his name will now rank alongside the other famous boatbuilders and be treated with the same respect as we now do for Yarwoods, Pimblotts, Nurser and so many more. God bless him.

• Greenie 2