Steve Hudson

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Wow a shock indeed and he will be very much missed as he was a decent man and ran an honourable business.

He put himself out a number of times for me including this summer when he did some work for me on my boat when passing by.

Just recently he found an engine for me that he had started to restore and seemed to be greatly looking forward to doing it himself.

Thats very sad news. I never met him but he is certainly a legend in terms of narrow boats.

He built a very individual style of boat which while not everyone's cup of tea, appealed to a lot of people and his boats are all over the canal system giving people pleasure. People out enjoying their boating is a Good Thing.

For this we can thank him. RIP and condolences to his family :(

• Greenie 3

It'll be the ONLY one on my shopping list, having had 4 years in one now. Personally, I don't think there IS a better engineered narrowboat.

There is a request on the Hudson Owners Blah that the yard and family doesn't want to be contacted. FWIW.

Very sad, very sad.

ETA: Sorry, just the yard. No mention of the family.

Edited by Loafer

sad news.

I have not been on this forum since November 15th last year after a disagreement with another forum member. I have decided to post here as I was a Hudson owner when I was a narrowboater.

The build quality was fantastic. I loved the shape of the pointy end it wasnt supposed to mimic any particular old boat it just looked great to those of us who liked it.

Steve knew his job and was an asset to the waterways. This is very very sad news.

The above ( Joke ) if thats what it is reinforces my decision to stop posting over a year ago.

Regards

Tim

Edited by FadeToScarlet

I have not been on this forum since November 15th last year after a disagreement with another forum member. I have decided to post here as I was a Hudson owner when I was a narrowboater.

The build quality was fantastic. I loved the shape of the pointy end it wasnt supposed to mimic any particular old boat it just looked great to those of us who liked it.

Steve knew his job and was an asset to the waterways. This is very very sad news.

The above ( Joke ) if thats what it is reinforces my decision to stop posting over a year ago.

Regards

Tim

Steve once told me that he took all his shapes and measurements many years ago, from a real josher. There were, of course, many different joshers. But he was adamant about 'his' shape.

Sorry for the thread drift here, but his curvy lines are allegedly 'pukka'!

Regards

Tim

Welcome back Mr. Tim. It is a pity that it has taken such a sad event to bring you back to the forum, but every cloud blah blah blah.

I hope that we shall hear more from you.

Once met never forgotton, we had a guided tour of his fabulous boat yard, he took time out of his busy day showing us his process from start to finish, then helped us without hesitation when we had injector proplems, will be sadly missed, condolences to the family.

Lock Keeper River Thames

I'm not sure whether publishing this is in bad taste or not, but I do so in case there is yet another round of Hudson-bashing in the near future, which I might now find rather inappropriate. Steve died in hospital yesterday after a very short illness, aged I think late 50s. He is survived by his wife Dianne and his three daughters. That they must be devastated is surely an understatement.

Totally shocked.

The first name I heard when I started to get interested in canal boats.

If it offends you then report it, otherwise they may not see it.

Second thoughts I will report it.

I reported and asked the Mods to edit it this morning shortly after it was posted

I usually very supportive of the Mods, but their lack of what would be a very simple edit, I think is very wrong

......... or of course 'Jim Riley' could edit it himself

Edited by Proper Job

Very sad news indeed, my sincere condolences to Steve's, family, friends & colleagues. I first met him about 20 or so years ago, when he was just taking on the derelict yard at Glascote, I asked his advice about buying my first boat, including the possibility of buying a new shell, he gave me lots of ideas & a very good steer of what to look out for in a second hand boat, when I passed him at the IWA National later that year he congratulated me on my purchase & we had a good natter later in the pub.

He was a top bloke & will be missed by many on the cut.

Regards,

Brian

I reported and asked the Mods to edit it this morning shortly after it was posted

I usually very supportive of the Mods, but their lack of what would be a very simple edit, I think is very wrong

......... or of course 'Jim Riley' could edit it himself

I've now edited it, sorry I couldn't get to it sooner.

Very sad news indeed.

We met Steve for the first time at Crick where he had two fine boats on display. He woud not budge an inch on his specification in order to gain a sale. But my most enduring memory of him will be when we were firmly iced in at Glascote Basin during the winter of 2010/2011 and he decided to take his cross country motorbike for a spin along the frozen canal, up to the road bridge next to The Anchor pub and back to the basin before his wife Diane noticed he'd gone!

No matter what some people thought of Steve and his 'grumpy' demeanour, he called a spade a spade and didn't try to baffle you with science. I admired him then and shall miss his presence amongst the other quality boat builders in this country. Our thoughts go to his family at this very sad time.

Mike

Hudsons.

A Hudson is a very splendid craft,

though there's folks think they are daft..

choice of options , B and C,

but either ,.. or,.. a Josher it will be.

The quality of build is sleek and divine,

"rivets" or not, they stand the test of time.

In Glascote dock, lines of proud noses,

"Registered in Tamworth" and quality oozes.

For shy of 30 years Steve created a marque,

Tis a crying sad shame, he has lost his spark.

Too short a life for one who gave such fun,

His legacy, majestically, cruising in the sun.

RIP Steve

• Greenie 3