Road Transport To/From France

philjman

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

We are finally looking to move our widebeam to France launching at Evans Marine in Migennes in Spring 2016 using CPL Transport (http://www.cpltrans.com/index.php). cloud9.gif

So if anyone is looking at moving their boat back from France to the UK (unlikely I know!) around that time there'll be a transporter with an empty space for at least a 60ft x 12ft boat coming back to the UK from Migennes sometime in Spring of 2016 (exact date yet to be decided) which may offer both boats cheaper cost for transportation.

Phil

Hi Everyone,

We are finally looking to move our widebeam to France launching at Evans Marine in Migennes in Spring 2016 using CPL Transport (http://www.cpltrans.com/index.php). cloud9.gif

So if anyone is looking at moving their boat back from France to the UK (unlikely I know!) around that time there'll be a transporter with an empty space for at least a 60ft x 12ft boat coming back to the UK from Migennes sometime in Spring of 2016 (exact date yet to be decided) which may offer both boats cheaper cost for transportation.

Phil

An excellent choice of transport company. They delivered our barge there very efficiently back in 2010 and have worked well with Jo Parfitt (when he owned the yard) and now Simon Evans. Migennes is one day's cruise from the lovely (but expensive) port in Auxerre.

Roger

An excellent choice of transport company. They delivered our barge there very efficiently back in 2010 and have worked well with Jo Parfitt (when he owned the yard) and now Simon Evans. Migennes is one day's cruise from the lovely (but expensive) port in Auxerre.

Roger

Hi Albion,

Thanks for the info. We'd heard good things about CPL (Piper etc) and they seem to regularly transport boats to Evans Marine who we'd also heard good things about. By coincidence we did a weeks cruise on Le Boat from Migennes a few years ago past Auxerre and really loved the area as well. So it seemed a no brainer to use CPL/Evans Marine to launch in the area we know(ish) and love.

When we arrive we are looking to moor at Evans Marine for a couple of weeks to get ourselves sorted after the move before setting off toward the Nivernais. Are you still cruising in France or have you moved elsewhere now?

Phil

Edited by philjman

We went to Evans Marine in Migennes last year, in the car, en route to Dijon where my in-laws live. Must say it was a very nice boatyard, really my cup of tea smile.png

Hi Magnetman,

That's reassuring thanks. We cruised past Evans Marine on a Le Boat holiday from Migennes a few years ago but didn't know we we would be launching there in the future so didn't take much notice. Lots of people seem to use Evans Marine and I've only heard good reports. Thanks again.

Phil

Hi Albion,

Thanks for the info. We'd heard good things about CPL (Piper etc) and they seem to regularly transport boats to Evans Marine who we'd also heard good things about. By coincidence we did a weeks cruise on Le Boat from Migennes a few years ago past Auxerre and really loved the area as well. So it seemed a no brainer to use CPL/Evans Marine to launch in the area we know(ish) and love.

When we arrive we are looking to moor at Evans Marine for a couple of weeks to get ourselves sorted after the move before setting off toward the Nivernais. Are you still cruising in France or have you moved elsewhere now?

Phil

I am still cruising in France and my home port is only two days cruising away from Migennes at Vermenton (one day away from Auxerre at the end of the Vermenton embranchement of the Nivernais). One word of warning about Migennes is that mooring there (either at the boatyard or in the port) is very noisy, particularly at night when the heavy goods trains rumble through for what seems forever.....they are indeed very long. Also exercise caution when mooring in Migennes port, it's not a huge risk but some boats have been broken into there and stuff stolen. Indeed, a boat right next to us one time had its window slid back and a video camera and laptop stolen. It was an ex hire boat though and the windows weren't particularly secure.

Roger

Hi Magnetman,

That's reassuring thanks. We cruised past Evans Marine on a Le Boat holiday from Migennes a few years ago but didn't know we we would be launching there in the future so didn't take much notice. Lots of people seem to use Evans Marine and I've only heard good reports. Thanks again.

Phil

When Jo Parfitt had the yard he told us that of all the transport companies that brought boats to his yard CPL was the one that he could rely upon to deliver almost to the exact minute promised. I have sat in the yard in days gone by under Jo's ownership and seen them arrive on time or slightly before time. Very professional in their service in my opinion. They did a good job taking my barge all the way from Newark to Migennes in 2010 anyway.

Roger

I am still cruising in France and my home port is only two days cruising away from Migennes at Vermenton (one day away from Auxerre at the end of the Vermenton embranchement of the Nivernais). One word of warning about Migennes is that mooring there (either at the boatyard or in the port) is very noisy, particularly at night when the heavy goods trains rumble through for what seems forever.....they are indeed very long. Also exercise caution when mooring in Migennes port, it's not a huge risk but some boats have been broken into there and stuff stolen. Indeed, a boat right next to us one time had its window slid back and a video camera and laptop stolen. It was an ex hire boat though and the windows weren't particularly secure.

Roger

When Jo Parfitt had the yard he told us that of all the transport companies that brought boats to his yard CPL was the one that he could rely upon to deliver almost to the exact minute promised. I have sat in the yard in days gone by under Jo's ownership and seen them arrive on time or slightly before time. Very professional in their service in my opinion. They did a good job taking my barge all the way from Newark to Migennes in 2010 anyway.

Roger

Hi Roger,

We stopped a night in Migennes onboard Le Boat so experienced the regular trains crossing the bridge over the Yonne and it's also fair to say we didn't exactly feel Migennes was the safest place we moored although nothing untoward happened to us thankfully.

I think with CPL doing the transport and Tuckies doing the crane out in and Evans Marine the other end hopefullhopefully we've got a profeprofessional team from end to end.

We've seen Vermenton on the Web and it looks absolutely lovely and is certainly on our cruising schedule so will let you know when we'll be passing.

Regards

Phil

My uncle uses a site called truckspace to move his portacabins his company makeshttps://www.truckspace.co.uk/

far as I know its free

not the transport, obviously!

Hi TaffyRon,

That's great thanks for the tip I'll take a look at it sort out putting a notice up on that site too.

Thanks

Phil

From the website it looks like they can also move full-size plastic dinosaurs if anyone happens to need one of those moving back from France...

Yes, I loved those pics. Some very, very impressive loads there!

Another thumbs up for the Nivernais - we've twice hired in the area, once from Vermenton.

If you want more peace and quiet for your stay at/near Migennes, you could go less than 1 km downstream to Laroche-Saint Cydroine were you can (with some luck) find a space with free electric and a lot less noice, there's only room for about 4 boats there, but you may be lucky.

Or you could go downstream through only 2 easy locks, and tie-up at a nice town, much nicer and safer than Migennes at Joigny.

I may see you in 2016, as I'm in the area.

Peter.

If you want more peace and quiet for your stay at/near Migennes, you could go less than 1 km downstream to Laroche-Saint Cydroine were you can (with some luck) find a space with free electric and a lot less noice, there's only room for about 4 boats there, but you may be lucky.

Or you could go downstream through only 2 easy locks, and tie-up at a nice town, much nicer and safer than Migennes at Joigny.

I may see you in 2016, as I'm in the area.

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the recommendations they sound great. We will have a few days work getting the boat sorted from the transportation (solar panels, storage boxes etc back on the roof, also get Free.fr sim card etc) so plan on doing all that whilst at Evans Marine but once sorted will definitely check out your recommendations. Hopefully see you out there in 2016. Thanks again. Phil

Edited by philjman

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the recommendations they sound great. We will have a few days work getting the boat sorted from the transportation (solar panels, storage boxes etc back on the roof, also get Free.fr sim card etc) so plan on doing all that whilst at Evans Marine but once sorted will definitely check out your recommendations. Hopefully see you out there in 2016. Thanks again. Phil

Hi Phil, good luck with all the prep work, you still have plenty of time to sort everything out, but that's much better than leaving it all to the very last moment.

I'll will be around if nothing unforseen happens, so I'll say :"See you when I see you".

Peter.

Hi Phil, good luck with all the prep work, you still have plenty of time to sort everything out, but that's much better than leaving it all to the very last moment.

I'll will be around if nothing unforseen happens, so I'll say :"See you when I see you".

Peter.

Hi Peter,

That's great and very kind thanks very much. Look forward to seeing you when we get out there.

Kind regards

Phil

Have you considered dropping it off closer to the channel ports? You could save yourself a couple of hundred miles of haulage. Certainly any Dutch boatyard could handle it and more than a few in Belgium as well, then just sail it down to where you wish to be.

Hi,

We had looked at doing that originally but we wanted to be within an easy season cruise of our planned Winter mooring as well as starting our adventure in an area we know and love and the small amount saved on the transport didn't seem to be worth it.

Hi Phil

By boat is currently out of the water at Evans Marine. There are often boats going to and from the UK from there, and given the notice you have, I am sure you could find a suitable partner. I can recommend Evans marine. It is a good place for over wintering and you can just about make a one day visit from London on Eurostar. I have never had any problem in Migennes and the yard is only a few minutes walk from the station.

Regards

Mike

Hi Phil

By boat is currently out of the water at Evans Marine. There are often boats going to and from the UK from there, and given the notice you have, I am sure you could find a suitable partner. I can recommend Evans marine. It is a good place for over wintering and you can just about make a one day visit from London on Eurostar. I have never had any problem in Migennes and the yard is only a few minutes walk from the station.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. That sounds great, we can't wait!

Phil

• 6 months later...

Hi Phil,

We are about to do the same thing - our Collingwood Eurocruiser 60 x 12 to France

Interesting that you looked at going into Holland/Belgium - Certainly cheaper option, but how much more did you have to spend to get all the way to Evans Marine in Migennes ? I believe it requires a advance vehicle in front of the truck due to the width of the boat.

We are of two minds Belgium or Migennes - but will be doing the transport in October 2015 and leaving our boat until our return from the Caribbean in May 2016.

Can you give us an idea of what you have been quoted for the job - and also cost for cranage - Who did you use for this ?

We have been quoted sums - 1,250 up to 2,500 pound, one lift out in UK - versus 235 pound re-launch in Europe... Some disparity here eh ?

Your info would be much appreciated

Thanks

Nige

We have been quoted sums - 1,250 up to 2,500 pound, one lift out in UK - versus 235 pound re-launch in Europe... Some disparity here eh ?

I suspect that is because they are using an existing on-site crane, not hiring one in.

Tam

Hi Nige,

We used Tuckys to crane out when we launched her a couple of years ago and will be using them again next year. Their recent quote was £650+vat. Tuckys do not do international boat transport so we are planning to use CPL transport who quoted about 14 months ago £4700+vat for transport from Gloucestershire to Migennes (This may be a little more now due to inflation since the quote). I have the price list for Evans Marine somewhere but can't find it right now but crane-in was somewhere about 400 euros.

So in total we're planning somewhere about £7000-7500 including VAT. Not cheap but it will only be the one time and it means we start our first season where we want to and gives us an easy start in France.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by philjman