Chirk Tunnel is empty and just look at the state its in. Photos

rogeriko

Featured Posts

Every boat that's ever hit the walls has taken out the brickwork its going to take them months to fix this. They finally got it empty and somewhat cleaned out only to find great big holes all the way through. The pumps are working continuously to maintain the flow. They have numbered the damaged areas, only 420!! The locals say it has never been emptied before but I don't know if that's true or not. You can see how the brickwork wraps around under the water making a complete tubular tunnel.

OELEWXy.jpg

jZI3ZrK.jpg

qCqxq4B.jpg

6vsN64k.jpg

3DeSRDs.jpg

rSQcBjQ.jpg

ylLw30k.jpg

Good answer, I was thinking of technical explanations like load bearing against local strata, however, when you see that shot, it is pretty obvious.

Could be. There might be a transition from a flat bottomed canal to the tunnel section too

Richard

not sure, the very low brickwork is normal lay.

Circular or oval brickwork for the tunnel is a much stonger construction - the same principles which apply to the strength

of the overhead arch apply to the "underneath arch", I'm not sure but ISTR that many canal tunnels actually have a

circular or oval cross section.

springy

They make modern railway tunnels wider at the entrances to reduce the sudden increase in air pressure as the train enters but I don't think that would be a problem on a canal.

Although it might make sense in the way the water behaves as the boat enters

Richard