Ecofan repair

MtB

Featured Posts

Yep, you're right, and that might be about it on Automotive comparisons (except Triumph motorcycles), but Aston definirely works for me .... rather too well, in fact: I want one of those too! That's 2 things from your posts on this one thread that have been added to my Christmas list!

Hi,

The Aston works for me too, but I thought they were foreign owned (Ford last count).

Why not compare the Vulcan fan with the Avro Vulcan........... both good examples of British design and engineering..

L.

Hi,

The Aston works for me too, but I thought they were foreign owned (Ford last count).

Why not compare the Vulcan fan with the Avro Vulcan........... both good examples of British design and engineering..

L.

Aston Works........

Isn't that were they built Nationals?

Edit - I'll correct myself........

They were at the Ashton works blush.png

Edited by Proper Job

I had a look, and am disappointed that they had nothing but 1 fan for stoves.

If they had a flashy double cylindrical ecto-drive, I may have slavered, .....

but they don't, and the stove fan they have is nothing better than my 7 year old ecofan.....which has spun merrilly since Oct 16th this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, there's been a disaster. My Ecofan has stopped working.

A brief bit of fault tracing reveals the Peltier cell has died. The motor is fine.

Surprisingly there seems to be no such thing as a replacement cell on the market to buy, in fact the manufacturer's website states they don't sell them "as its replacement is a controlled procedure involving strict torque settings etc..."

This sounds a right load of bollux to me so off to ebay expecting a load of third party cells to buy, but no, to my surprise nothing except a couple of USA sellers.

Plenty of Peltier cells there but none that I can find small enough (30mm x 30mm) to fit. Also, they all seem to be sold as heating/cooling units powered by leccy. Now I'm fairly sure they work backwards but I thought I'd ask here first. Has anyone replaced the Peltier cell on theirs? Which cell did you buy?

MtB

Right you lot, an update.

I bought the 30mm square Peltier cell linked to by <you know who you are>, and nailed it in, and it works BRILLIANTLY! The new Peltier cell drives the motor a shade faster than the genuine manufacturer's cell still in my other Ecofan, so all that stuff about controlled procedure, torque settings etc is clearly a load of utter codswallop and bollux.

Let's hope it keeps on working....! ninja.gif

just so you all know. A successful fix!

MtB

• 4 years later...
3 minutes ago, aread2 said:

Also, a lot of Aldi stores are still selling their clone stove fan at a discount (£18).

Probably have to, because they are nowhere near as powerful as the genuine original Ecofan.

On 06/04/2019 at 10:46, Mike the Boilerman said:

Probably have to, because they are nowhere near as powerful as the genuine original Ecofan.

I have yet to see any stove top thermoelectric fan that has enough power to need a finger guard.  Even feeble fans on the back of computers need a finger guard.......

i do have one one and find it useful as if it is leaning the stove is too hot (very rare) if spinning and I can hear it, just right, and if very slow, time for another log.

Edited by Chewbacka