Mooring by the sea

Neil Jones

Featured Posts

If you really want to moor on or near the coast I'm not sure about narrow-boat is the right choice. Moorings are charged per metre length on the whole so there is little benefit in a long skinny boat.

There are plenty of coastal and estuary cruisers which would make good liveaboards as well.

been digging back through last summers photos and here are a couple of widebeams on the Crouch (not particularly good photos i'm afraid)

15895093376_527b9b0a7c.jpg054 by mudlarker2, on Flickr

15920884405_dc28e7e55f.jpg068 by mudlarker2, on Flickr

I'll go along with NC on this .....if you want to live on an estuary you really ought to look more at a cruiser, there are quite a few around that are suitable for liveaboard and are better suited than an average narrowboat for the conditions.

Edited by John V

As John V said in an earlier post, The Lower Thames, The Essex and The Kent Coasts have literally 100s of moorings suitable for a NB, with 100s of miles of relatively safe cruising grounds in all but the very worst of weather and or conditions. I was messing around these areas for Years in my WB, and can assure you saw all sorts of craft NBs included.

Good luck.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

There is (or was during the summer) a WB moored on one of the private islands in Pool Harbour. It has been in Pool Harbour for a couple of years now, understand it came by coast from the Hamble.

There is a narrow boat here at The Hamble. It is where the Hamble ferry depot is.

15731506917_70b6c4e8aa_b.jpgDSCF6062.jpgc

Might not be too clear but it is the pink boat at the back of the picture.

I also seem to remember reading about a NB called Tamarisk moored on the Tamar

I moved some 12 years back! Now moored on the Forth & Clyde Canal at Bowling, overlooking the Clyde estuary with views 'doon the w'ter'.

There are around another 50 residential moorings available on the F&C (under Scottish Canals 'Living on Water' initiative) between here and Edinburgh - half a dozen of which are at Bowling. Contact Click-let Water 0131 555 1704; www.click-let-water.com for further details.

Bude if you don't want to travel the network but just want a narrowboat near the sea

I was down there this year. Odd little bit of canal. A lock to the sea with a tiny stretch of canal, with a fixed road bridge over it, with just enough room to get a rowing boat under.