Paloma Water Heater

Traveller

Featured Posts

It seems to be lack of use as a temperature adjuster which causes this - mine has done it a few times over the years -

my solution - remove the control knobs and cover and then using a small adjustable spanner or pliers on the shaft

gently work the adjuster back and forth until it is all free, dont use the knob - it doesn't feel strong enough. I have

done this at least 4 times over the past 10-12 years (usually when re-commisioning after the winter draindown)

and it has always worked ok.

maybe a monthly adjustment to the temp control would prevent this ?

springy

Freeing siezed valves and screws is a fine art. Brute force and ignorance may succeed but a little finesse and patience will provide a permanent repair.

Aternately apply gentle tightening and loosening pressure. There may initially be no perceptible movement.

Gas taps can usually be dismantled, cleaned (maybe lapped in) and lubricated with a suitable grease.

Alan

Got as far as using mole grips - if I'd tried any harder the heater would have come of the wall or the spindle would have snapped. I'll drop a pm to Paloma Bob.

An alternative approach is to remove the plate which holds the rotating part of the valve in place and then to pull the valve out, without twisting. You are much less likely to break the spindle when it is in tension as opposed to torsion. This has worked for me on a couple of occasions.

PS It is a good idea to drain the water heater before starting to do this!

Chris G

• 5 years later...
On 02/12/2014 at 17:05, Batavia said:

An alternative approach is to remove the plate which holds the rotating part of the valve in place and then to pull the valve out, without twisting. You are much less likely to break the spindle when it is in tension as opposed to torsion. This has worked for me on a couple of occasions.

PS It is a good idea to drain the water heater before starting to do this!

Chris G

Hi

I have a stuck temperature adjuster, tried WD-40, penetrating oil and heat and it will not free up.  I did manage to pull the splined shaft out of the valve.  Can the valve bodyt be tapped out?  Looking at the photo, the pencil is pushed into the inlet pipe as far as it can go. Is the pencil resting onto the rear face of the temperature adjuster valve or is touching up against  an internal wall in the valve?

Any help much appreciated.

John_G

valve1.jpg

22 hours ago, John_G said:

Hi

I have a stuck temperature adjuster, tried WD-40, penetrating oil and heat and it will not free up.  I did manage to pull the splined shaft out of the valve.  Can the valve bodyt be tapped out?  Looking at the photo, the pencil is pushed into the inlet pipe as far as it can go. Is the pencil resting onto the rear face of the temperature adjuster valve or is touching up against  an internal wall in the valve?

Any help much appreciated.

John_G

valve1.jpg

Hi

I worked it out, and the shaft can be driven out with a drift replacing the pencil position. 

Happy to now have a cleaned and fully working temperature valve.

John_G

• Greenie 1