Cooking in the stove.

pquinn

Featured Posts

Yesterday i roasted two big onions in the stove.Chopped the stem off,skin on,quartered but not fully cut through,wrapped tightly in tin foil with a glug of olive oil.slapped them in the not to hot ashed up coals for about 3/4 of an hour and bobs yer uncle.lovely and caramelized.Chopped them in to some penne pasta with chopped vine tomatoes,fresh coriander and a little tarragon,olive oil and seasoning[maybe a little pesto if you so choose] plenty of Parmesan/grana padano.Had some salmon with this and some Roasted carrot and leek soup to start.Roast the carrots and leeks in a roasting tin with olive oil and seasoning for about 45 mins. or so and an onion.Slap in to slow cooker with about two pints of boiling stock.let it cook for as long as you like.Whiz it up.Fling in some herbs or if you want spices.Curry and coriander go well with this.Sling it in to a bowl with a dollop of sour cream or ordinary cream if you like,throw a lash of Parmesan/grana padano on top and now yer' suckin' diesel my friend...ps. dont forget to throw garlic in to everything and maybe some chili or smoked paprika.

Might try a few baked spudz in the stove next.

ETA.tell us what you cooked in or on the stove as there is something gratifying about this kind of cooking.

Edited by pquinn

Cook on the stove basically anything you can cook in a slow cooker or one pot, so curries and casseroles, chillies etc

A favourite that I make in winter, but haven't done on the boat yet is Ox cheeks, cook in a slow cooker on a bed of leeks with herbs, generous amount of red wine, beef stock and leeks. They are so cheap but just melt when you slow cook them. They are actually best frozen or re-heated the day after as the sauce thickens.Diced venison is reasonably priced from our farm shop at the moment- so will be doing venison casserole this weekend. If I'm at home- i bought a large slow cooker, so can make six portions of things at a time and freeze 4

The only thing I've cooked in the fire is jacket potatoes and you really have to wrap them well and I prefer to cook them if we're only burning wood . Someone suggested cooking in the ash tray below- so will try that next time

Yesterday i roasted two big onions in the stove.Chopped the stem off,skin on,quartered but not fully cut through,wrapped tightly in tin foil with a glug of olive oil.slapped them in the not to hot ashed up coals for about 3/4 of an hour and bobs yer uncle.lovely and caramelized.Chopped them in to some penne pasta with chopped vine tomatoes,fresh coriander and a little tarragon,olive oil and seasoning[maybe a little pesto if you so choose] plenty of Parmesan/grana padano.Had some salmon with this and some Roasted carrot and leek soup to start.Roast the carrots and leeks in a roasting tin with olive oil and seasoning for about 45 mins. or so and an onion.Slap in to slow cooker with about two pints of boiling stock.let it cook for as long as you like.Whiz it up.Fling in some herbs or if you want spices.Curry and coriander go well with this.Sling it in to a bowl with a dollop of sour cream or ordinary cream if you like,throw a lash of Parmesan/grana padano on top and now yer' suckin' diesel my friend...ps. dont forget to throw garlic in to everything and maybe some chili or smoked paprika.

Might try a few baked spudz in the stove next.

ETA.tell us what you cooked in or on the stove as there is something gratifying about this kind of cooking.

Nice style. Very funny and very useful!

I've cooked Kleftico in the back cabin Premier. Delicious after 6 hours!