Boat Fire K&A

Dinz

Featured Posts

Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service like many others offers a boat fire risk check service, giving out smoke and CO alarms. We recommend that boaters check with their local brigades and see if there is such a service in their locality.

We had a visit from he Notts Fire Brigade to our Marina a couple of weeks ago - they were giving out Smoke Alarms to anyone wanting one, but apologised that they were unable to supply CO alarms as the 'budget for the Boat Check Service; did not run to them'

Sadly the second fire at this end of the K & A within a week. Last one was, according to reports, due to a cooking incident at Bathhampton. Thankfully no injuries.

Horrendus news about the boater who died. Very tragic, and our thoughts are with his family and friends.

Can we keep this on topic please.

For what its worth the requirement of the BSS is that 'All LPG containers and high-pressure components must be

secured in a position where escaping gas does not enter the interior of the vessel.' and hence a suitably ventilated deck area my well comply.
Daniel

Can we keep this on topic please.

For what its worth the requirement of the BSS is that 'All LPG containers and high-pressure components must be

secured in a position where escaping gas does not enter the interior of the vessel.' and hence a suitably ventilated deck area my well comply.
Daniel

But conventionally designed cruiser stern decks don't comply..

MtB

My comments were on a post made by Proper Job and I have made no allegations whatsoever. I don't know the boat or owner.

I agree the points may have been better made in another thread but the same could have been said about comments about smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.

I think the reference was made as a timely reminder to boaters of the benefit of alarms and a couple of us commented that we were surprised that these alarms did not form part of the BSS that is a long way from the tone of your post Edited by cotswoldsman

I think the reference was made as a timely reminder to boaters of the benefit of alarms and a couple of us commented that we were surprised that these alarms did not form part of the BSS that is a long way from the tone of your post

My comments were on a post made by Proper Job and I have made no allegations whatsoever. I don't know the boat or owner.

On the other hand, there is direct speculation about whether the deceased had an alarm.

I want to save lives. Go and argue with someone else please.

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news, as a 'newbie' liveaboard like a total idiot I thought it would be ok too stash a few bits of wood against my stove, went out for the evening came back, boat was boiling.....soon dropped off sleep on the sofa - I awoke to the smoke alarm going off in the rear of the boat. My boat was full of smoke I couldn't hardly see anything! I flung the bow doors open and then realised the wood I had stashed against my stove was smouldering, I was lucky 'very lucky' the fact that my stove is in the bow yet my smoke alarm is in the stern above the engine bay, yet it still woke me in time dont bare thinking about - I have a 'fireangel' smoke alarm back there and there was certainly an angel looking over me that night - I also have a CO alarm in the kitchen area ( which didn't go off) but is working perfect - It took me 45 mins too clear all the smoke - and scared me to death almost literally I no longer have anything around my stove now and even put my 'Fireguard' around it, like Rob says stay safe out there

Lets all wait for the inquests reports and start other threads about BSS & alarms .

There is no point in speculation .

But avoidance of unsafe situations in the winter are worth a separate thread which I shall start in general boating.

I don't wish to offer any speculations or theories or anything such as that since I know nothing about the circumstances other than what is in the press. The one thing that gave me cause for thought today however was the issue relating to the man's dog which also died in the fire (if the press report is correct). Whilst sitting in my boat and listening to a dog in an adjacent boat complaining (barking) for being left alone it occurred to me that a dog would normally react quite loudly to smoke or fire on a boat. I will await with interest the conclusions of the inquest as to what happened on the boat leading up to the fire (if they can come to a conclusion since, by its very nature, fire tends to destroy a lot of evidence).

If both dog and owner were asleep when the fire started I would not be surprised if both were overcome by fumes before they ever woke up.

Its very common for people to think that they will be woken up by the smell or sound of fire. Its not true if they are sound asleep.

Edited by Bazza2

If both dog and owner were asleep when the fire started I would not be surprised if both were overcome by fumes before they ever woke up.

Its very common for people to think that they will be woken up by the smell or sound of fire. Its not true if they are sound asleep.

Like I say I don't really want to speculate as to what happened and as a sort of answer to my own question, I don't know how old the dog was. If it was an elderly dog then it would probably sleep through anything but you tend to find that younger dogs are very light sleepers and often wake up and bark when there is nothing there, they go mental when there is something.

I'll wait for the inquest result.

Like I say I don't really want to speculate as to what happened and as a sort of answer to my own question, I don't know how old the dog was. If it was an elderly dog then it would probably sleep through anything but you tend to find that younger dogs are very light sleepers and often wake up and bark when there is nothing there, they go mental when there is something.

I'll wait for the inquest result.

I guess WARNING that carbon monoxide would kill a dog before it woke up

Richard

I guess WARNING that carbon monoxide would kill a dog before it woke up

Richard

Dogs cannot be relied on to wake. It is the second dog to die in a boat fire this month; see http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11586230.BLAZE__Boat_pair_lose_pet_dog_and_belongings_in_fire/

People may also remember that Mr Mason's dog died with him from CO poisoning 11 months ago.

Whilst in some circumstances a dog has alerted the occupants to fire or CO, dogs are also susceptible. All living beings on boats need protection from provided by working smoke and CO alarms - and from by having a clear action plan (all aboard should know it) and alternative means of escape.

As a fellow dog (and cat) owner, I know it would also grieve me greatly to lose my four-legged friends through such circumstances.

Rob

edited to make slighty better sense - thanks D K.

Edited by Rob@BSSOffice

This is true. A mate of mine had an elusive rat on his old boat which he couldn't get rid of, so he lit a bucket full of old rubbish and oily rags in the boat, in the hope to smoke it out, shut the doors on it and went off shopping. On his return the fire had gone out, but the rat hadn't, he could still hear it.

All living beings on boats need protection from working smoke and CO alarms - and from having a clear action plan (all aboard should know it) and alternative means of escape.

Rob

save us from those alarms, Rob