Boat Fire K&A

Dinz

Featured Posts

This is another very sad incident and the second fatal boat fire this year.

Over thirty people have died in boat fires in the past 20 years.

I joined the Boat Safety Scheme in 2002, and aside from fatal gas/petrol explosions, I can only remember two fatal boat fires where a working smoke alarm is unlikely to have had any impact.

Keep safe

Rob

edited to remove unwanted emicon - note: never use 'b' and bracket together

Why aren't fire and CO detectors on the BSS? It seems they should be.

• Greenie 3

So frightening !!!

how and why are questions and answers we all like to know.

How can this happen now days

Just checked all our alarms

Deepest sympathy to all family and freinds

Colin and sharon

Edited by bigcol

To give all due respect to family and friends, perhaps we should wait for some facts before indulging in fantasy and speculation which helps nobody?

Yes.

That said, IF Sue B's report is to be believed, that was an accident waiting to happen.

I want a smoke alarm that I can turn off when I leave the boat. I have had a lot of grief with defective alarms of various sorts upsetting neighbours. Ok, you must remember to turn them on when joining the boat but I have checklist for that anyway.

Surely just removing the batteries will silence it?

Why aren't fire and CO detectors on the BSS? It seems they should be.

There are many things that could/should be part of the BSS. Even the stuff that is on there, most of seems to be advisory

My interpretation of the BSS is that it's not to protect the boat and occupant, it's to protect other (innocent) third parties and property. If you want to put yourself at risk on your own boat, as long as you don't have the potential to hurt others..... go ahead

Edited by Proper Job

There are many things that could/should be part of the BSS. Even the stuff that is on there, most of seems to be advisory

My interpretation of the BSS is that it's not to protect the boat and occupant, it's to protect other (innocent) third parties and property. If you want to put yourself at risk on your own boat, as long as you don't have the potential to hurt others..... go ahead

Some boaters use their boat in a way that would contravene the BSS. It's not uncommon to see gas bottles, petrol generators and fuel cans on the back deck of boats. Think of members of the fire service who may risk their own lives because of stupid behaviour. Surely it should be a matter of pride to ensure that your boat and car are safe and would pass a test on any day of the year.

Some boaters use their boat in a way that would contravene the BSS. It's not uncommon to see gas bottles, petrol generators and fuel cans on the back deck of boats. Think of members of the fire service who may risk their own lives because of stupid behaviour. Surely it should be a matter of pride to ensure that your boat and car are safe and would pass a test on any day of the year.

As I understand it your not contravening the bss by having a generator , petrol can or gas bottles on your back deck. If secured properly.

Regards kris

Sad to hear this R.I.P. It's a shame that Wiltshire.co.uk 'reporter' seems to have got it so badly wrong, the tag headline is one man unaccounted for, then later she writes that the dog was unaccounted for, even though a dog was also found dead in the boat. ohmy.png(

Edited by Chop!

Perhaps your sensitive and delicate comments (given the tragic circumstances) might be better off on their own thread.

If you have information about the way this boat was kept, please share that with the coroner and not have the rudeness to make such baseless allegations in a thread of this sort.

• Greenie 1

Perhaps your sensitive and delicate comments (given the tragic circumstances) might be better off on their own thread.

If you have information about the way this boat was kept, please share that with the coroner and not have the rudeness to make such baseless allegations in a thread of this sort.

My comments were on a post made by Proper Job and I have made no allegations whatsoever. I don't know the boat or owner.

I agree the points may have been better made in another thread but the same could have been said about comments about smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.

• Greenie 4

My comments were on a post made by Proper Job and I have made no allegations whatsoever. I don't know the boat or owner.

I agree the points may have been better made in another thread but the same could have been said about comments about smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.

He may have had an alarm, does the report say there wasn't one. He may have tried to put the fire out. I wont go into the other may's as it will upset some of our readers.

• Greenie 1