Fitting for cable through roof into boat???

Frankieboy

Featured Posts

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a neat fitting / method of putting the aerial cable through the roof into the cabin. At the moment it goes down the side and through a window but this isn't very neat.

Obviously it would have to be water tight and maybe even so I could connect / disconnect it at the roof.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Frank

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a neat fitting / method of putting the aerial cable through the roof into the cabin. At the moment it goes down the side and through a window but this isn't very neat.

Obviously it would have to be water tight and maybe even so I could connect / disconnect it at the roof.

Thanks

Frank

I wouldn't put it through the roof if I could avoid it.

Ours goes through the front cabin side using one of these, you do have to keep the connections very very clean though as if you don't it leads to signal strength loss.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/170876209567?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Edited by The Dog House

This is a bit expensive but this might be an option. TV coax is a bit thicker than Marine VHF cable so would need to check that.

and I agree with TDH definitely go out of a vertical surface rather than the roof, if possible

http://www.marinescene.co.uk/product/9174/blue-sea-cable-clam-gland-0.625-inch-%2815.87mm%29/?gclid=COjc-L2lkMICFWXHtAodWicARQ

[smug on]

I fitted an 'ordinary' type car aerial adaptor (well it was in those days), people don't drill holes in their cars nowadays - when I fitted out. It doesn't leak. Nowadays, I suppose an more solid CB mount would be better, certainly they are more suitable, or even a PL259 through hull gland.

I do agree it's better to have the entry point on a vertical panel - pigeon box? or front deck, where my TV / Sat leads go through using only a 3/4" cable bush. No leaks there either.

[smug off]

Hi, thanks for the advice, typically, the aerial is generally about mid-length along the boat, as is the tv on the inside. The darling wife would have a fit if I ran the cable along inside of the boat to the tv. An almost ideal option is to shove it in through the mushroom vent, although I suspect that that will create issues regarding boat safety etc.

Failing the mushroom vent, the only viable option is in through the roof.

Hi, thanks for the advice, typically, the aerial is generally about mid-length along the boat, as is the tv on the inside. The darling wife would have a fit if I ran the cable along inside of the boat to the tv. An almost ideal option is to shove it in through the mushroom vent, although I suspect that that will create issues regarding boat safety etc.

I'm open to correction but I don't think routing it through a mushroom vent would cause enough of an obstruction to airflow to be a problem. People often route their solar wiring through them and whilst it will be a smaller diameter for solar than co-ax I don't believe the difference is significant.

I'm with everyone else on this, don't put another hole in the roof it shouldn't be too difficult to conceal the cable run to the bow doors/windows.

If your other half isn't impressed by an unsightly cable running half the length of the boat she isn't going to be too pleased about it sneaking in through a mushroom vent surely? If you do that you'll probably get rainwater dripping down the cable as well.

Personally I still run the cable through a window which means there is always a bit of effort involved in setting up the TV/aerial and it's interesting how many times after looking at the TV listings we just can't be bothered.

Is it not possible to run the cable under the gunnel? There's usually often an overhang of the panelling behind which you can hide all sorts of sins....

I have seen a boat with an adapted mushroom vent. The mushroom top had been drilled so that the aerial support pole passed through (watertight fit). A handle attached to inside end of the pole allowed the aerial to be rotated without having to go outside. The cable run down inside the pole came out somewhere between the roof lining and roof and had enough slack to turn the antenna around more than 360 degrees. The top of the mushroom rotated with the aerial. When I saw it I thought it to be a brilliant idea, thought I might use it myself. However, I neglected to enquire how the rotating part was supported. It felt smooth like it was on a bearing race. After thinking about it for some time I decided it was too much effort for its worth and continue to pass the cable through a partly open window.

Is it not possible to run the cable under the gunnel? There's usually often an overhang of the panelling behind which you can hide all sorts of sins....

Hi, yes I thought about this but as it would have to pass the kitchen worktops and stove, it would be pretty difficult to conceal unfortunately.

I have seen a boat with an adapted mushroom vent. The mushroom top had been drilled so that the aerial support pole passed through (watertight fit). A handle attached to inside end of the pole allowed the aerial to be rotated without having to go outside. The cable run down inside the pole came out somewhere between the roof lining and roof and had enough slack to turn the antenna around more than 360 degrees. The top of the mushroom rotated with the aerial. When I saw it I thought it to be a brilliant idea, thought I might use it myself. However, I neglected to enquire how the rotating part was supported. It felt smooth like it was on a bearing race. After thinking about it for some time I decided it was too much effort for its worth and continue to pass the cable through a partly open window.

Interesting idea. Our main reason for going through a mushroom vent is that there is one in line with the tv and some trim passes on the inside that I can pretty much disguise the cable with. Just thought it may use less cable and be a bit neater than cable hanging over the roof and going through a window. Granted though I don't really want to start putting holes in the roof unless absolutely necessary, but just want it neater than it is.

Hi, yes I thought about this but as it would have to pass the kitchen worktops and stove, it would be pretty difficult to conceal unfortunately.

Interesting idea. Our main reason for going through a mushroom vent is that there is one in line with the tv and some trim passes on the inside that I can pretty much disguise the cable with. Just thought it may use less cable and be a bit neater than cable hanging over the roof and going through a window. Granted though I don't really want to start putting holes in the roof unless absolutely necessary, but just want it neater than it is.

Could put a little surface socket near the mushroom, and run coax behind the trim:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TV-AERIAL-COAX-OUTLET-SOCKET-BOX-UHF-SURFACE-MOUNT-COAXIAL-FEMALE-BUYME-/160870159124

[smug on]

I fitted an 'ordinary' type car aerial adaptor (well it was in those days), people don't drill holes in their cars nowadays - when I fitted out. It doesn't leak. Nowadays, I suppose an more solid CB mount would be better, certainly they are more suitable, or even a PL259 through hull gland.

I do agree it's better to have the entry point on a vertical panel - pigeon box? or front deck, where my TV / Sat leads go through using only a 3/4" cable bush. No leaks there either.

[smug off]

Wonder if a bulkead N to N female connector with a dustcap would also do. Could also use adapters either side, eg N to F with some glue lined heatshrink.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-adapter-N-Jack-to-N-female-bulkhead-Straight-50-ohm-connector-New-/300959765745

N connectors are usually 50 ohm though, dunno if it'd really matter for a short freeview aerial lead.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Details, details (always spoil a good idea....)

Good idea 1

Possible to run the cable underneath the worktops instead?

Good idea 2

Instead of drilling a hole in the top of the mushroom, what about in the side of the collar (Mine have long necks, so easy to do - then proceed with your suggestion. A piece of adhesive mini trunking run across the ceiling makes the job look like part of the design.

I drill a hole a in the roof a couple of inches from the fingertip rail. At this point the roof slopes down towards the rail. Then I put a coax wall cover on using a good gun adhesive. I don't seal the cable to the roof. So far no leaks and the oldest cover was put on 4 years ago. The fingertip rail stops the wind blowing up the roof. If you have an open rail or not much slope on your roof then this idea may not work.

Coax cover

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TV-Satellite-Burst-Brick-Blast-Cable-Cover-Wall-Hole-Plate-Pack-2-/310299584023?pt=UK_ConElec_TVAerials_RL&hash=item483f4be617

Adhesive

http://www.screwfix.com/p/unibond-megagrip-plus-water-resistant-grab-adhesive-300ml/30141

Rub the bonding surfaces with a bit of wet & dry to give the adhesive a key. Plonk a weight on to keep it all in place as the adhesive cures, then a bit of paint to protest the cover from UV and jobs a good en.

Hi,

Thanks

Frank

I have just fitted 3 cables for my satellite and used a waterproof plastic box on the front vertical surface with sockets on so I can disconnect the cables when required and the same setup on the inside. neat job. However given your issue you might find that flat co-ax via your window or mushroom vent could be employed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380765328000?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I used one through a door jam before I fitted my current solution and there was no loss of signal