L & L Shortboat " Farnworth".

Tony Dunkley

Featured Posts

There was another very distinct feature to identify the two apart. 'Everton' had a very big crimp about half way down one sidedeck. It was put there when she came off second best in an argument with a ship between Trafford Wharf and No. 8 Dock.

Everton had this quite impressive delve when we had her but I believe Wood, Hall & Heward have finally effected a repair after all these years! Good to learn that 'Darwen' is still around. Too many of these fine and relatively rare craft were scrapped by BW.

Regards

David L

DAYBREAK & RELIANCE were on Thames last time I knew, might have been one of them. Both Keels.

DAYBREAK is back in Yorkshire (Goole) for the winter.

Her owners were interviewed on local radio (TMCR) a few weeks ago.

They'd spent the Summer sailing up from London, and now they have the time, wanted to spend some time in the area the ship originated from.

Her website is https://hkdaybreak.wordpress.com/

Here (continuing the OT theme) is the Daybreak at Keadby (on the right), with the Sloops Amy Howson and SpiderT on the left of picture, with the Keel Onesimus, which the owner hopes to rig for sail, on the LH edge of the shot:-

0NSAN33.jpg

Taken 15 Oct. as we were passing through.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Sale, 1965/6:-

Farnworth-1_zps821ee9ee.gif

Tim

It looks like me Tim. We're going slow and with someone up forard ( looks like Bob Pettit, ex Trent Navigation Co. and British Waterways boatman ) so it looks as though we're going to tie up (on Bev Portman's moorings).

The hat, jacket and trousers look right, but I honestly can't remember whether or not I used to work in what looks like a pair of winkle-picker boots.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Maybe I could ask, the collective short boat knowledge for some help?

I want to fit a new propshaft, prop and I'd like to replace the cutlass bearings.

The problem is finding the sizes, of the bearings and the length of the prop needed.

I'd like to collect all the bits before getting the boat out of the Water, to save money.

So any advice would be gratefully received

Regards kris

Maybe I could ask, the collective short boat knowledge for some help?

I want to fit a new propshaft, prop and I'd like to replace the cutlass bearings.

The problem is finding the sizes, of the bearings and the length of the prop needed.

I'd like to collect all the bits before getting the boat out of the Water, to save money.

So any advice would be gratefully received

Regards kris

Your boat could have had any number of new items of sterngear in it's lifetime, as well as being re-engined, so any attempts to establish sizes and dimensions other than by measurement of the existing stuff would really be worse than useless and a potential waste of money.

The only possibility that comes to mind is that you get the shaft and prop out while it's still afloat, so at least you can get those sorted before going on the dock.

Edited by Tony Dunkley