Does this seem fairly priced? 1974 46ft £27500

AftApeth

Featured Posts

Surely there can only be one reason for this, they are wanting to sell now for more than they paid for it?

Not really. It means they are asking more than the valuation page values it at!

Otherwise they'd leave the valuation page in to support their asking price.

MtB

P.S. why should what they paid for it affect the asking price?

(I know some buyers would illogically resent them making a profit while being totally happy to see them making a loss.)

Thanks Neil, you might be right. I may tentatively see if the seller is willing to come down subtantially in price, and if not move on.

The eight-page survey arrived in the post today. There's one page missing, which according to the contents page is a valuation. Fair enough. It's from Oct 2012, not 2013 as I thought. It's probably a bit unfair to the seller to post a jpeg or PDF of it here, but here are some choice bits. Apparently the bottom plate survey was done with the boat held up in slings, and the rest of it on hard standing.

The general description gives the builder as:

and

The bit about thickness readings and hammer sounding on both sides of the hull:

Then there's a worrying bit:

The seller has written in pen underneath: 'Stern gland replaced, drop shaft shortened. No leaks now. Bilge cleaned when engine out Oct 2013.'

There are some details about rubbing bands and anodes, as mentioned in the summary, and it states that the rudder plate leading edge needs grinding back because of corrosion. The seller notes in the margin that the rubbring band, anode, and rudder issues were all fixed in Oct 2013. Apparently nothing has been done about the bottom plate sacrificial edge however.

Finally there's more info about the stern gear, which might answer some of the discussion about why the shaft needed shortening:

Sorry for such a long post. Wanted to give the details since I mentioned I was getting the survey sent to me. Perhaps this is of interest to somebody else in my position who's curious to know what one of these surveys looks like.

for a 30-49 year old boat that's a pretty good survey.

for a 30-49 year old boat that's a pretty good survey.

Whatever conclusions you draw it doesn't matter because it's not the same boat. The one in question is two years older.

As for the valuation page i didn't think it had to be spelled out but yes, if the asking price is well under the valuation why not leave it in? On the other hand...

Our Sabb 2g is 22hp. The engine is 1976 and despite its large number of hours clocked up has been very reliable. They sound really well. Spares are a little above average in price but oil and fuel filters are cheap. Fuel pump, alternator and starter motor can be refurbished by local suppliers in most larger towns.

Johno at UCC in Braunston can be approached for servicing along with quite a few others.

I wonder if that's the same Johno who had to bring our outboard back to life over a period of several days during the 80's. Name rings a bell!

Hello everyone. I've just joined the site and this is my first post.

I've been thinking about getting into the boating lifestyle for a little while and have been more seriously looking at boats for sale over the last month or so. I've been looking on Apollo Duck, eBay, local marina websites, as well as Whilton Marina and Venetian Marina.

I'm particularly keen on this boat on Apollo Duck. It's a 1974 46ft cruiser stern, listed at £27500. I've been looking at lots of boats of a similar vintage and size, most of which are priced closer to £20k or in some cases considerably under that. I'm trying to work out why this one is that much higher. I've read the whole of this thread with interest, about offering under the asking price, and am taking some of those points on board. I'd be extremely grateful if anyone on here could have a quick look at the ad and give a quick judgement as to whether they think it's overpriced. A big question for me is why the stern shaft had to be shortened after a recent survey (I confess I don't know yet what this means).

I'm not of the mindset of haggling to get the best price possible. I want to pay a fair price, particularly with a view to selling it on in a few years' time and moving on to a bigger boat. I don't want to find that I have to sell for £10k less, say, because I paid far too much initialy.

Many thanks to anyone who reads all of this. I realise I'm asking a lot in my first post.

i think the stern shaft connects to the engine shaft and if this was faulty for some reason it could have been putting a lot of vibrations throw the gear box and crank shaft . but it could be fine or have had an engine rebuild witch would explain the price having looked at apollo duck they do bump the prices up a bit as to be expected by a dealer. other reasons for the price increase would be stainless steel tanks alternative heating diesel or gas a lot of high quality batteries and a good inverter like a sterling 1800w pure sine wave or the overall quality of inside and out.