diesel stove heater? and boat prices

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

ive been looking at this boat on great Haywood website

http://greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/images/pdf_files/Cloudcatcher%20Brochure%20Main%20Page.pdf

does it seem worth the money? and how much does it cost to run a diesel stove

thanks

Paul...

im going to take a drive up there on sunday to look at a few others too

http://greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/images/pdf_files/Malaika%20Brochure%20Main%20Page.pdf

http://greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/images/pdf_files/Paw%20Print%20Brochure%20Main%20Page.pdf

I have a Kabola Old Dutch oil stove and a Webasto diesel boiler.

According to the manuals for them, the oil stove consumes 0.24 litres of diesel per hour on its lowest setting and the Webasto about 0.2 litres per hour.

So not as cheap to run as a solid fuel stove, but quicker to light, cleaner and no bags of coal to hump about.

However if you intend to live aboard, then a conventional stove will be a lot cheaper to run.

It is a lifestyle choice - personally I prefer to pay the small premium to heat with diesel because it saves so much work. Coal and solid fuel involves a lot of work; buying it, storing it, putting it in a stove, then disposing of the ashes. Diesel eliminates all of that.

It is a lifestyle choice - personally I prefer to pay the small premium to heat with diesel because it saves so much work. Coal and solid fuel involves a lot of work; buying it, storing it, putting it in a stove, then disposing of the ashes. Diesel eliminates all of that.

WoW! You don't have to buy diesel? That is where I have been going wrong!laugh.png

Hi

We recently bought a boat with a Taylors diesel stove and although only used a couple of times, we like it. Easy to get going and quick to put out (turn off?) once the fuel flow is shut off. We are not liveaboards so cost is not really much of an issue for the amount we will use it. In our manual it say at maximum burn rate it uses 0.4 litres per hour on a typical installation.

Hope this helps

Matt

I've got a Taylor's too and an Eberspacher. The Taylor's only puts out a max of 2.1kw so is good for a small space but is also easy to use. You can't leave it unattended though.

The Eberspacher is about 4kw and so more like a conventional stove in terms of output. I wouldn't like to rely on it as my only form of heating though because it eats electricity and has days when it chooses not to fire up.

The most reliable for me, the cheapest too as I do live aboard is my Boatman's multifuel stove. It's my primary source of heating, kicks out around 4kw and is reliable. I use my diesel heaters as back up or to take the edge off the place if it's bitterly cold out or if I've not lit the stove yet.

Are diesel stoves fed by the engine or have there own fuel tank?

Would it be a simple swap out with a morso solid fuel

Some are some arnt it depends who built the boat and what was specced. The Morso is a popular stove but look at threads on here and you will see it has problems on boats due to vibration causing bolts to fail and the stove to fall to pieces

Peter

Some are some arnt it depends who built the boat and what was specced. The Morso is a popular stove but look at threads on here and you will see it has problems on boats due to vibration causing bolts to fail and the stove to fall to pieces

Peter

Which stoves would you recommend?

I've got a Taylor's too and an Eberspacher. The Taylor's only puts out a max of 2.1kw so is good for a small space but is also easy to use. You can't leave it unattended though.

The Eberspacher is about 4kw and so more like a conventional stove in terms of output. I wouldn't like to rely on it as my only form of heating though because it eats electricity and has days when it chooses not to fire up.

The most reliable for me, the cheapest too as I do live aboard is my Boatman's multifuel stove. It's my primary source of heating, kicks out around 4kw and is reliable. I use my diesel heaters as back up or to take the edge off the place if it's bitterly cold out or if I've not lit the stove yet.

The same here and i think this is where most people go wrong and have problems with these diesel units[[not to mention bad installation]].they expect to much from them.That is what i read in to what NMEA said on here.Good for back up or boost but not as a primary heat source.