"Fitting Out A Liveaboard We Tell You How And The Costs Involved" Whilton Marina Article

nine9feet

Featured Posts

The boat was an Ownerships one built by Pat Buckle. The fridge was in the original build and never modified. In the time I had a share it passed two BSC's in the days when share boats had to meet the higher standards of the "hire" BSC. However as I am not familiar with the installation requirements for these fridges, I cannot say whether it met the manufacturers requirements or not.

We had a similar arrangement on our boat when we first bought it (built in 1995) but it was changed to a 12v only fridge when the gas one didn't work. There was a steel pole of about 1.5 inches diameter going to the roof and venting out under a mushroom vent.

I kept the mushroom vent but removed the pole in the end.

Edited by churchward

• 1 month later...

I was thinking all the costs were on the high side! £300 on a cupboard?! £36 from IKEA, slightly more with a more posh door on it....

Hear hear. I refurbished my 70 foot liveaboard for the amount I suspect some people on this forum might spend on their weekly grocery shopping!! Extravagant doesn't even cover it!

If you consider £3000 reasonable for a couple of overhead cupboards (and btw LMAO!!!) then I fear that not only that living on a narrowboat may not be for you, but you should possibly seek psychological help.

N

p.s. I bought a 'custom made' mattress from a company online, they cut it to the exact measurements that I needed for the two pieces for my pull out double bed. Cost me £100, and I've never slept so well.

• 2 weeks later...

Huh, if those costings were correct,....and complete....I'd be sitting very pretty right now!

I can tell you I'm not.

Admittedly, we didn't buy in tat, or make tat, and non tat costs, but I costed carefully, yet I think twice before sticking a tin of corned beef in my basket now.

Not a realistic or full costing for a live aboard boat, but then it depends on expectation and scrounging ability, which is simpler for a self build.

If anyone wants actual advice/planning etc, on self fitting, I'm available.... But it wouldn't be free!:D

Cheaper to buy a house that doesn't depreciate at the rate a boat will!!

Funny you should say that, Barnet cost (IIRC) £900 new in 1936, or the equivalent of £55,780 today - which seems a reasonable price to pay for an unconverted motor in good order.

You could argue that it's not depreciated at all!

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Whilst i agree that two overhead cupboards for £300 is somewhat optimistic, if haveing them made by a joiner, but £3000 is extravagent, something between £600 and £900 should cover two decently made cupboards.

I suspect their costing is based upon DIY joinery, in which cas they would cost me somewhere around£100 doing the work myself.

I agree. Anyone who spends 3 grand on a couple of cupboards for a boat must have more money than sense.

These aren't overhead cupboards, but I guess they cost me about £200 to make myself including the pine doors which I bought for a fiver each and stained.

DSC00487.jpg

I think my whole kitchen cost less than £2,000 including the overhead cupboards!

P1000812.jpg