Barging About Britain

Sarahr

Featured Posts

locks and quays Mathew Corbett I believe was a better series but never seems to be repeated.

Locks and Quays tends to repeat on satellite but sadly, for me, series one was fronted by Fred Talbot so I doubt I will see myself on TV again.

George ex nb Alton retired

They were never going to do the L&L justice in the time available. Given the time slot it's bound to have had a wide audience which must be a good thing simply to raise awareness IMO.

I did say to Dave that there'd be a lot of grumbling on here :)

TV always seems to miss opportunities if this had been done correctly think how many DVD sales would have been made.

The same with coast the chance of an educational programme but when one programme covers the Humber to London then its just token entertainment.

I enjoyed it. It was a programme made for the general public rather than boaters, the reaction here seems similar to the reaction on a trucking forum I visit about "Eddie Stobart Trucks and Trailers" in that it wasn't as accurate as it could have been, overplayed minor issues and downplayed more important ones etc. It seems to me that anything which raises awareness of canals can only be a good thing.

I was quite impressed by their boat's ability to teleport round Leeds at random. That needs to be added as a feature on more boats ;)

Was really looking forward to it, but found it totally bland. How it could miss out the five rise and the beautiful scenery around Barnoldswick/East Marton, I'll never know.

Still, it was good to see the lock at Barrowford again. Two summers ago, the cill washed out just as we got there, so we had to turn around and go back over the Pennines via the Hudd instead whilst C&RT closed it for a fortnight for repairs.

I am afraid it was a starter and not a main course. I was left feeling hungry......

On the up side there are another four episodes of Tim and Prue's Great Canal Journeys in the can and I guess they will be shown soon after this series ends.

The first episode seemed to concentrate quite rightly on the companies that used the canals for business use of which we all know on here and I did learn something new that Alpaca wool is not a new product that was imported into the UK.

Any programme that gives prime time viewing about our canal networks whether it be good or not so good must help the general public be aware of our heritage and ongoing use of the canal system whether it be for pleasure or business use.

I think it showed that there has been a big redevelopment of the town and cities of the north. It wasn't all empty rundown mills and factories standing idle but showed a lot had been turned into luxury flats and apartments and would hopefully encourage those who thought it was to give it a visit. It tried to show the fantastic countryside that was to be seen around the canal, although I agree, it did seem to skip over the actual canal.

I didn't see a flat cap or a whippet all the way through the programme.

thinking from my last post this morning, if anyone looked at last nights program to see canals and barging

They would have been dispointed surely.

Like wise as Geoffs post did learn the Apacca wool, isnt a modern thing over here, but has been imported for years

That didn't I just seewhat could have been a hurtful mistake at a lock with a key, or is this my mind playing games.

Apart from that. Happy that hopefully there be another series of Timothy and his wife's Prue on soon. This was brilliant and warming.

Col

Dire! I've seen some bland drivel in my time, but really! Couldn't they have found at least one person to talk to who actually knew something about the canal rather than the tinker, the tailor and the wallpaper maker? By the time we got to the pearls of wisdom from the Scouse W.I. I'd lost the will to live.

A TV exec has (rightly) realised that people will tune into any old rubbish so so as it's got canals and boats in it, so they've made the cheapest, most badly put together programme imaginable.

I've just watched it, before reading most of the comments on here.

Yes it was very lightweight to people who know a bit about the canals, which means most of us on here. But it did show the canals in a positive light, even if they missed bits that you personally thought should have been included.

As one or two others have mentioned on here, anything that shows canals in a positive manner can't be a bad thing to include in a prime time program aimed at a general audience - it is ITV after all. Having said that, I've never been on the L&L and there were some bits that I found interesting and I learnt something too.

And does anyone have a link to a guide to the future programs? This is the first time I've used ITV Player or the ITV website, and it doesn't seem to be a patch on BBC iplayer.

• Greenie 1

I've just watched it, before reading most of the comments on here.

Yes it was very lightweight to people who know a bit about the canals, which means most of us on here. But it did show the canals in a positive light, even if they missed bits that you personally thought should have been included.

As one or two others have mentioned on here, anything that shows canals in a positive manner can't be a bad thing to include in a prime time program aimed at a general audience - it is ITV after all. Having said that, I've never been on the L&L and there were some bits that I found interesting and I learnt something too.

And does anyone have a link to a guide to the future programs? This is the first time I've used ITV Player or the ITV website, and it doesn't seem to be a patch on BBC iplayer.

Have a green thing.

We recorded the programme and watched it this evening. Good presenting style, lightweight, should have lasted an hour instead of half an hour so that the canal could have been explored in more depth. As Mrs. Athy said, you got the impression that you could travel the length of the L&L in two days.

Pleasant viewing but no more than that.

Not that long ago narrowboating with John Sergeant might well have been one of Alan Partridge's desperate ideas, yet again truth proves to be stranger than fiction.

He may get a cow dumped on him from a bridge next time.

• Greenie 1